b752fanatic

What Was The Worst Moment You Had In An Airplane?

Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:02 am

Mine was when I was like 8 years old and it was on a Dominicana de aviacion B727-100.

The aircraft went on a steep dive, and it seemed that the crew lost control of the a/c.

But everything went fine, because seconds later the aircraft continued normally, and the crew maintained the flight smoothly and then they started entertaining the passangers with gifts and giving us a second meal.  Smile

What was your story?

"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction." Mark Twain

A330Fan1

RE: What Was The Worst Moment You Had In An Airplane?

Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:09 am

I've had several experiences where I thought I was not going to survive...one was on a BA flight from LHR-CDG, a short 1-hour hop on a 757, and the plane hit an air pocket; it felt like a roller coaster and I was so freaked out! A couple people were screaming. Another was on a domestic flight within India, between Delhi and Jaipur...it suddenly sounded as if the plane's engines went off and it felt like it was gliding...YIKES I was so scared! That's about all the major scary moments I've had...otherwise, I've had drinks spilled on me...about all...

DL_Mech

Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:40 am

Sept. 11,2001 .....DL39 AMS-ATL.

We were told by the crew that there was a situation in the US, and that we would be diverting to Halifax, NS. It was about eight hours later when we found out what truly happened.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

747firstclass

Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:42 am

About 15 years ago, I was on a TWA flight from STL-ABQ and we had rough going a great part of the way. Off in the distance there was major lightning and at times the plane would turn up on its side. Things started to fall from the overhead bins etc. etc. It got so bad that there was some concern that we might land in OKC in case any one got hurt. That did not happen and at last we arrived in ABQ. I must say I was nervous about flying after that for a few months, but I got over it.
To add insult to injury, I got pulled over by the cops in the rental car in ABQ.
They handcuffed me and took me to a mobile unti to measure my blood alcohol level. The test showed that I did not have alcohol in my blood. The roadside sobriety test caused the cop to think I was drunk.
I blame it all on the after effects of that ghastly flight that just really unnerved me no end. I was plain spooked out.

MarcoPolo747

Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:44 am

I had two very scaring experiences :

The first was in 1973 on a VASP Viscount 827 flying from Cuiaba to Sao Paulo with intermediate stops. When the plane landed in Campo Grande under a severe rainstorm it was unable to stop before the runways end (Viscounts had no thrust reverse) and we ended in soft ground after skidding and rotating several times until it finally came to a stop.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mel Lawrence

The second was during a take-off from Dakar on a Sabena DC-10 in 1984. Engine n?? 1 decided to quit at V-2 speed and the 10 vibrated madly until the captain turned it off as we slowly gained altitude. We flew on 2 engines all the way to Brussels and arrived 2 hours beyond schedule. But landing was normal and we deplaned far from the terminal surrounded by ambulances and fire trucks.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

apurnicus

Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:54 pm

I was flying a BE-76 Duchess (light twin) at Byron Airport (small uncontrolled field east of the Altamont Pass in CA). It was turbulent in the pattern and I was practicing my landings with my instructor. Winds were favoring runway 23. About a mile from the departure ends begins the hills of the Altamont Pass.

After a touch-and-go, we climbed out and were flying through some moderately choppy air (I had my seat belt on uncomfortably tight). We were at 200 feet AGL when my instructor decided to fail an engine. I quickly performed the engine out procedure and maintained control of the aircraft.

Like most light-twins with an engine out, the aircraft was barely climbing. Add to it the moderate turbulence and I was lucky to get above the hills. I did my best to avoid the terrain and then we were hit by a chop so strong that my instructor (who weighs 200lbs) hit his head on the roof. He cringed in pain and wasn't paying attention to the aircraft.

Having enough, I restored the failed engine flew back to OAK, doing the ILS 27R through the morning overcast layer.

At the time I had maybe 4 or 5 hours in a twin, but those 15 seconds of simulated engine out is a lesson that will last a lifetime. My instructor always said to make an emergency plan, but hope you never have to use it. Had it been a real engine failure I know I would never been able to climb out of the chop and I had to prepared to make a controlled crash into the hills straight ahead.

That's my worst moment. When I fly, I am a pessimist. It keeps me safe.

POSITIVE RATE

Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:05 pm

My worst moment in an airplane was back in Feb 1999. Me and 2 friends of mine hired a Cessna 210 to fly to an airshow interstate for the weekend. It was an old model- early 70's i think. The flight up was totally uneventful and quite pleasant, we had to dodge a little weather here and there but no big deal. We spent 2 days at the airshow then climbed back in our 210 and set off for home. As we were on takeoff roll we had to abort takeoff around 50 kts because the ASI was reading 0 for some reason. We got out and checked the pitot tube- it was totally clear and no blockage. So we get back in and resume takoff once again, this time no problems. About 5 mins out as we were climbing through about 5,000 feet smoke starts to pour out from behind the instrument panel, indicating an electrical fire. We switched off all electrics and opened the hatch to clear the smoke, but the smoke kept coming. There was no time to fly back to the airport so we conducted an emergency flapless landing on a luckily empty freeway. We barely cleared some high trees on approach and almost stalled as we pulled up over them, followed by the aircraft landing extremely hard- bouncing about 3 times on the pavement. That was the scariest moment for me.

MidnightMike

Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:14 pm

Let's see, I was sleeping in the back of a P-3 Orion, there were no bunks so I was sleeping on the floor when we hit an airpocket. The airplane must have dropped over 500 feet, when I woke up, my face was introduced to the floor.

On a different flight we had changed the #4 engine & then departed from Guam to Japan when we had an engine failure, I thought it was the same engine we worked on, luckily it was the #1 engine.

NO URLS in signature

acidradio
Crew

Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:29 pm

I was on a NW MSP-MDW run on a D9S and we had to go around thunderstorms in the Chicago area. Apparently the aircraft was overloaded with fuel and the pilot had to burn it off to get us on the ground. So we were in the air around Chicago for a while. That and the pilots would accelerate then slam the throttles down to near idle, at which point the engines sounded like and felt they were dying, as we took a sharp nose-down everytime along with the illusion that the engines were killing out. I saw the ground but it wasn't close enough. A simple cocktail or hard drink would have made it enjoyable however  Big grin
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

noelg

Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:27 pm

We were to fly from Biggin Hill-Maastricht in a friend's Seneca. The weather was very thundery even at 9am, and we took off straight into a thundercloud. The plane was bouncing around as we flew right the middle of a CB at about 6000 ft, lightning flashing all around us, and ice preventing us from seeing out of the windows....

Coming back, we changed from IFR to VFR over the English Channel, and as we flew over Kent the weather changed for the worse. Cloud base was about 1000ft, and we were almost on the deck in extremely heavy rain and wind. At one point, Biggin Approach advised us we were nearing a TV mast, this passed alongside us - with the top of the mast above us!

That was pretty scary - put it this way I have never been so glad to be on the ground in London!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Noel.

KAL744

Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:55 pm

I was flying on a Lufthansa B 737 from Dusseldorf to Hamburg airport on a very stormy winter day. The pilot had to try to land for 3 times before he finally could manage to land safely.
fly Korean Air ....

Jacques60

Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:27 pm

I experienced only one serious "incident" in so many years :
on a BKK/CDG flight in 1974, our good old 707A had a quite hard
hydraulic leak and still at climbing stage there was hardly any fluid left.
Of course it was decided to return to BKK. One trouble bringing another..
one of the fuel tank drainage was noop and they had to pump from one wing
to the other to dump enough fuel. Next they had to go down in the front belly to manually lock down the nose gear.....(I had never thought that an unlocked nose gear could make such a noise up to the first class cabin !!)
Finally the Captain announced our final approach and said "normal landing",
obviously he had been preparing for a belly one !
We landed with the whole fire brigade along the runway ...and finally they had to tow us out of runway as the nose wheel could not turn by itself !
Even almost 30 years after I still praise the crew of that flight for their efficient handling of the plane !

skyhawk

Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:33 pm

Many years ago, flying for National(original) going from IAH-SAN. A 727-235, and very uneventful flight until we had just gotten to "final" approach level and were checking seatbelts. Myself and colleague in the back were thrown into the laps of pax as the plane first rolled very hard to the left and then immediately very hard to the right. Luckily we weren't hurt, so we got up checked on things, got seated and landed. Later we found out the reason. Two Marine fighter pilots were coming back in from their flights and were playing. Too bad for them, our captain was a retired Marine pilot(Colonel, I think) and friends with the C/O at Miramar where the guys were going to. The CO said the Captain practically came out of his seat without undoing the 5-point seatbelt they have, to get to the phone to give his friend a call.

BeltwayBandit

Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:14 pm

Does an irritable bowel issue in an RJ qualify? Worst 20 minutes of my life, so far.

CoAir@IAH

Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:50 pm

Yes, Mr. Beltway, that would count.

buckwilder

Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:41 am

For my mother, it was a 1964 TWA 727 flight from Chicago to D.C., when she went into labor with me. My love of aviation bloomed early!

clrd2go

Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:54 am

I'll skip a near gastro-intestinal disaster, and go with this..

I was in Phoenix on business when a secretary in the building paged me..I
called her and she informed me that my wife had called and my then 6 month
old son was about to have emergency surgery for an intestinal malady and
could I catch the next plane home..the secretary had already arranged for
me to hop a Frontier (old) flight to DEN (Stapleton) leaving in an hour and a
half..I rushed to the hotel, got to Sky Harbor and boarded the MD-80..we
got off the ground and about 20 mins in flight the captain announced that
we had to return to PHX..a dog had been loaded into the wrong compartment.
We landed, I wanted to call my wife to see how my son was doing, but I
couldn't get off the plane..thankfully a Frontier employee took down a number of a neighbor who would contact my wife at the hospital and let her know I
was late..it was a long flight..thankfully my son was fine.

I'm fortunate that, other than turbulence related incidents, I've never had
anything more than that happen on a flight.

Jim
What a long strange trip it's been

hockey55dude

Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:04 am

Well I was coming home from YYC-Lax on Canada 3000 3 years ago. When we took off our plane was going up, but than the pilot shuts off the engines. evey one was looking around. We were gliding down for about 4 seconds. Then the pilot put the engines back on and we start flying up again. I got really scared. But I got over it and we had a good flight home.

b752fanatic

Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:35 am

"When we took off our plane was going up, but than the pilot shuts off the engines. evey one was looking around"

But why did they turn off the engines?, they didn't give any reason?
"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction." Mark Twain

clrd2go

Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:36 am

I wonder if they just throttled back and leveled due to some traffic..First time
that happened when I was on a flight it scared the bejeebers out of me.

Jim
What a long strange trip it's been

FLAIRPORT

Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:52 am

Buckwilde: WARNING: DO NOT TRAVEL WHEN PREGNANT UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR CHILD TO LOVE AVIATION!!! lol

i've had 2 bad expierences, both on L10-11s

1st: ATL-SJU, July 3, 2000
good flight, but it felt like instead of gliding down we just plopped down. it was a VERY hard landing. (L-1011)

2nd ATL-FLL July?,1999 or 2000
we had an overbooked flight and as you'll understand later i wish i had taken the other flight. you could have taken a 10:05 or 11:35 with a stop at MIA. This flight left at 8:35. so its 8:15 and no plane, they delay it until 9:35 and still no plane. they tell us that they had to replace the tail engine on the L-1011 and by this time most people were annoyed... we finally left at 10:35, but i was a little nervous the whole flight. obviously i made it in one piece!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

DekX

Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:03 am

Sitting in the rear-most seat of the Malaysia airlines 744 last year CDG-KUL, somewhere between the indian ocean and KUL oyu see nothing but early morning tropical thunders cells. Naturaly with that much lightning and (in the wee hrs of the morning) one would assume its going to get pretty ugly. Myself being the aerospace guru that I am I ASSUMED correct. Holy Chirst!!!! we hit turbulence and lightning strikes like a MOFO. A few overhead compartments flew open, naturally, anything that was not tied down was on the cieling or the floor, depending on how we rotated. I might sound a little overzellish but let me tell you, when your sitting at the back of a 744 and you see through the left window one wing flex way up, through the right windows (thanks to the lightning strikes) the right wing flex down and then litterally see the entire fuselage bend longitudinally it is somehting else. The amount of torsion that was on that plane was incredible, I could see all the way to the business cabin as you look along the fuselage wall, and see them disappear beyond a mid-section bend in the middle of the cabin. Kudos to the stress engineers on that one.. and thanks!!!

BlackJackLV

Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:10 am

I was on an American Airlines flight earlier this year from DFW to LAS. Shortly after takeoff (1min) on a B757, the plane gave a very slight jolt...followed by 3 loud bangs. I was sitting in a window seat over the wing and I looked out the window to see flames shooting out the #2 engine. I new then that we blew an engine. I talked to the pilot afterwards and he said that he thought a bird flew into the engine. The pilot said in his 15 years of flying B757's that he never had to shut down an engine in mid-flight.

BeltwayBandit

Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:38 am

Re: Engine Shut-Down.

Flying out of DCA, I've had several experiences where the pilot pulls back throttles. I think it may be a noise abatement thing. It always feels like you are falling out of the sky but I suspect that it is simply that you are not accelerating anymore.

northstardc4m

Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:55 am

3+ hours taxiing with a throat infection followed by a 90 minute flight... in a Dash 8 at Toronto... ill gladly forget that very very long day... (it started in St Paul MN, though my throat wasnt bad as long as i kept drinking... i ran out of water after about 15 minutes in the Dash 8 (this was a hot and dry day as well, the A/C was on full blast) and the F/A couldnt (or wouldnt, she wasnt the most pleasant F/A ive ever had... though maybe she was a miffed as the pax over the taxi time...) serve drinks till after takeoff...)
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Tan Flyr

Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:03 am

On an AA 757..worst turbulence I have ever encountered was over Quito on a LIM-MIA flight, December of 1990. Stuff and people flying all over the place. I was in line for the head when it started..some luggage came flying out of the over head bin, as I caught it so it would not land on the woman in the aisle seat, the latch ripped the palm of my hand open.
The F/A gave me a wet towel to stop the blood, and got us all seated..then bandaged up after it was all over.

gocaps16

Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:05 am

If you are taxiing or stopped while the engine is running, the f/a's aren't allowed to serve drinks, but I was on an AA 727 flight from Miami to DCA couple years back. I was really tired that day becuase of the flight fpn an AA A300 from Bogota, Columbia to Miami wore me out. But on the 727 flight, were stuck on the ground for over 2 hours inside the aircraft in the penatly box, is what's it is called becuase the weather in the DC area was sooo severe no flights were allowed in or out. This was before sunset, so the orange warm hot was glowing. The captain comes on the p/a telling we will be here for couple hours, he wasn't sure til ATC clears us. So he shuts the whole plane off including the A/C. It was a very hot and humid day, so the captain recommends everyone to close the shades to cool off the plane, still didnt work with 100+ passengers. Thankfully the f/a's served us water and beverages while we were waiting. Some people decided to eat. This was when AA offered passengers Bistro Bags when you board. So, the storm is clearing out of DC, but no, we had to wait about another 30-45 minutes to clear up traffic into the DC area becuase traffic was pretty heavy from all the delayed flights that was late. We were probably about oh, 5-6 hours late, arrived like at 3:30am while we were scheduled to arrive DCA at 10:30pm.
What was freaky was there were like 15 aircrafts departing at 3am. Most departures stop before 10pm at DCA becuase of the noise curfew and the noise complaints.

Airontario

Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:25 am

On a trip to Orlando me and my mom flew throught Miami (don't ask long story). Well on the flight home we took our seats like usual but then a thunderstorm started and sent the airport to a "red alert". Fun very fun having about a 4 hour drive from Orlando to Miami waiting in MIA for about 4 hours then waiting on a plane for anouther 1 and a half before we could start taxing. Well finnally we get taxing we head out to one runway then stop and turn around and go to a different runway just as we are about to take off the pesky storm comes back forcing us to wait another 20 minutes well we finally get going. The flight was fine allthough all that was on the tv was Drew Cary  Pissed. Ok, we finally get back to Toronto and we have to wait another 30 minutes at 1:00AM because the ground crew is on a cofee break. Well that the worst time i had. Iv'e also had a couple bumpy landings in a Dash 8 in Hartford plus having to wait in Hartford for 8 hours.

airlinelover

Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:05 pm

July 9th, the early United Express flight DTW-IAD: On a CRJ (First time ever in one), we flew through the worst storm I've ever been in.. I was in seat 12A, belted in, and holding stuff down, as was everyone around me, and next thing I knew, I heard a loud CRACK and then felt my head swimming in a sea of pain.. I had gotten thrown into the underside of the overhead bin.. hard.. Felt it for 3 days too.. Ehhh

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

cancidas

Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:25 pm

I was taking off in a 172 out of HWV and somehow flew lost 50-100 ft altitude in a second. Im guessing it was a downdraft. Anyway, im glad I was with an instructor. My harness came loose and I knocked my head prety hard. My headset left a mark on it! I was bleeding pretty good for a while there.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

ANA777Master

Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:54 am

Did I mention my labor-intensive pebble-pooping episode while I look at myself, red-faced, in the mirror of the ANA 747 that was 10 minutes from touchdown into BKK? Each one hit the metal basin with the convincing metallic sound that would be produced by a little rock.

Otherwise, our recent landing on CO from HON to DCA, I was awakened as the airplane heavily slammed down on the runway. As I looked out the window, dazed, I actually thought we were out of control and were beginning to cartwheel. Very freaky.

redngold

RE: What Was The Worst Moment You Had In An Airpla

Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:05 am

Aside from the near crash I was in (a story I have posted ad nauseum)...

I suppose the seizure-like intense shivering episode I had on a USAirways plane, which frightened both my fellow passengers and the flight attendant they called, counts as a bad moment. I was shivering so badly that I could barely say "Just get me a blanket." The woman next to me said my lips were purple and I was gasping. (That's what they get for blasting the air conditioner on a nearly empty plane!) I remember thinking I felt cold but I guess I didn't realize just how bad I appeared to people who don't know my propensity to become hypothermic.

redngold
Up, up and away!

CheshireCat

Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:34 am

About two years ago I was returning home to Hawaii from Dallas Texas. Earlier that morning I wasn't feeling well, stuffy nose and such. As soon as the plane got off the air, I got a headache that felt like my head was going to explode, the pilot leveld off and it went away. Well, as we got near SFO, my headache started up again, and I felt like I was going to need to stab my head in order for it to stop.

We landed and I was fine after that, after my flight took off from SFO, same thing started hapening again, it just seemed to be getting worse. I made it home, called the doctor and he had me come in the next day. As it turned out, I had a head cold and from what he told me, I could have died that day because of all the pressure that had built up in my head!

Pretty scary for me.

-Jordan

emiratesa345

Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:09 am

Never had any accidents like those listed above, however my worst moment was when I had a migraine. I was flying, that's right, LOT Polish Airlines WAW-YYZ on the B767-200ER. My head hurt soooo much. I ate all the pills I had on me, but those cheap Polish things didn't help. I got up and asked one of the flight attendants to see if she had any. Lucky for me, she did. They were just as useless as mine were. I remember looking out the window at the engines just wishing that the plane would blow up. Obviously I didn't really want that, but this headache was a killer. I had it for 3 days after returning to Canada.

EmiratesA345  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

vermeer

Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:17 am

My story is of a shut down engine on a CO flight between EWR and BOS on a MD80.

Actually everytime I tell the story people are having so much fun that they cry.
You have to know that I flew with my partner who is TERRORIZED by flying. I instructed hom that if the plane hits bumps it means that it stays up and it is safe. A little rudimental but it kind of works for him.
Anyway, we got stuck on the taxiway for about 45 minutes and I needed to pee BADLY.
With zen calm I held the urge fantasizing of the moment when the fasten seat bealt would turn off after take off.
We took off, the magic "tling" worked and off I ran to the bathroom faster than you could say "first class".

Bathrooms in back, close to the engines. The magic moment is there! As soon as I start to relieve myself I hear a BAD BAD noise from the engine on my side. All in a sudden the plane banks to the left, A LOT.
I am in the bathroom ( and I know it is hilarious, but not for me at that moment) with the plane diving down and left, shaking ( the plane)and peeing incontrollably all over ( and all over myself). For you men on the forum, you know the feeling when you CAN'T stop.
Anyhow ( i skip the most graphic part here) I am able to "rearrange myself" and ..ahem..a little humid...I get out, strap myself in the first available seat in the back, where the F/A's usually stays. While I am praying and getting green the F/A/ is frantically speaking with the cockpit on the interphone with a worried face.
As soon as she hungs up I look at ther and I say "how bad?". She tried to minimize. I repeated " seriuosly, how bad it is??" while the plane seemed to level out at a much lower altitude.
She said " now it is ok but it wasn't pretty".
Kind of "reassured" I walk back to my seat close to my partner.
There he is, sitting, speechless and almost placid. "He took it well!" Ithought. Then he looks at my face and sees that not only I am ...ahem..wet..but very white.
At that point he starts crying!!!
The little rascal used my face as a barometer to evaluate how scary it was! He said that he felt "something really strange" happening but because the flight was almost empty and everybody seemed quiet he did not REALLY know what was going on, and with my theory of "if it's bumpy it is ok" he could not figure out by himself what was going on.

At that point I started laughing ( he still hates me for this now) and I had to beg him like a baby to convince him to take the flight back home ( that included subscription to two magazines, three weekends spent seeing baseball and two loads of laundry at home).
I still want to sue continental for the damage  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

hmmmm...

Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:22 am

My worst moment in an airplane? Taking my seat on an AC L-1011 leaving Paris for Toronto. I just said goodbye to a short lived courtship with the sweetest angel France has ever offered. I was introduced to Isabelle over a year before and spent an idyllic summer with her in Canada and the subsequent Christmas holidays in Paris. But with an ocean, and our paths, separating us, I knew I'd never see her again. The plane was going to take me away from the only girl I ever loved. So I tell you with all my heart, I have never hated being anywhere as much as I hated being there, having to sit in that seat, at that exact moment, on that airplane, taking me away from her, with that empty seat next to me. That was 15 years ago. And truth be told, that seat next to me is still empty.

(lots of violins)
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

AA717driver

Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:30 pm

...Then there was the time I was about to score with a newhire flight attendant in the lower galley of a L1011(I believe it was N31035 Big grin ) and I heard the elevator start coming down. I had forgotten to open both elevator doors which deactivates the elevator.

Bad things happen when you don't use a checklist... Big grin TC
FL450, M.85

PerthGloryFan

Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:49 pm

Well my experiences aren't that frightening compared to some posted here.
One missed approach and one aborted take off were worrying events at the time - especially the later which occurred at Zurich on an Alitalia MD80 in 2000 - of course the mayority of pax were Italian and the sound of animated rosary beads and muttered prayers as we taxied back was almost deafening after that I tell you.

But I have to say that the "worst moment " I've experienced flying was way back in about 1966 when as a teenaged airport kid at Port Hedland in the north of Western Australia I had wrangled a flight for me and my younger brother on a MacRobertson Miller Airlines (part of Ansett a few years later) DC-3.

This flight was a once a fortnight "station" run to and from PHE. Okay, these "stations" in Oz have nothing to do with trains, they were what North Americans would call sheep ranches - I have no idea of the origin of the term station for these places. So the flight plan was PHE-Warragine-Muccan-Callawa-Yarrie-PHE, I think that was the order - hey, it was over 35 years ago! The flight attendant was actually one of the Hedland MMA ramp guys and I think we left PHE with 6 pax. The whole trip was just about 4 hours and the max altitude of each 20-30 minute air leg was around 5-6000 ft. Of course we visited the cockpit a few times and we just generally watched with interest each stop where sheep shearers, vetenarians, and other general "station" workers got on and off their once every two week service.

"Cool" probably wasn't in the vocabulary of a rural airport kid back in those days but I reckon I felt pretty cool about arranging this flight - it would sure impress the guys at school and my 3 year younger brother thought I was great too. Then on the last leg it happened - remember the lowish altitudes and over rugged terrain in warmish weather too - well it was wasn't really turbulent, just bumpy - and my brother threw up!

Oh no - the embarrasment - how could I, the king of the airport kids at Hedland, face all those guys at MMA now? I had a brother who got airsick! How uncool was that! I don't think I spoke to the poor kid for at least a month.

Says something about adolescent priorities and sensibilities but I remember being really angry at the time - pretty dumb attitude hey. My brother was so young (9 or 10) he doesn't even really remember it.

"Worst moment" - it's all about context I guess - today something like that seems so trivial doesn't it?

PGF

charliecossie

Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:29 am

On 14th January 1991 I boarded a Royal Brunei 757 at Gatwick. We were going on an adventure. Dubai. Singapore. BSB.
Everything was looking good. I was on a staff-on-duty ticket (although I worked for another airline) so was sitting in Club. The cabin crew came round offering pre-depart drinks. "Would you like something to drink, Mr. F......?"
"Champagne" says me, at the start of an adventurous trip. "I'm afraid we don't serve alcohol". AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!
A few rows in front of me, a smiling face turned around. "G'day mate, you staff?" "Yeah". "No worries, mate, we've got plenty for everybody". Sadly, they didn't know about the thirst of the worlds' favourite engineers and we were as dry as the aircraft by Dubai. It's a refuel stop and they chuck us off the plane. Hurray, a bar in the transit bit. "Give us all yer Heinys mate, and leave the tops on". That got us to Singapore. Now, an open bar at 8am is a bit of a bugger even in Singapore but we found one. "Give us all yer Tigers mate and leave the tops on". Phew, made it alive and in one piece.
What an adventure.

LPL

Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:42 am

In 1997 on a Delta flight between Manchester and Atlanta. Unfortunately there was a infant school on board. The shrieks of these 5 or 6 year olds were doing everybody's head in.....for 8 long hours!!

TLHFLA

Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:32 am

DL 606, June 1992, TPA-LGA, MD-88. Just a few days after I watched "A Thousand heroes," the made for TV movie about the 1989 crash of United 232 in Iowa, I took this flight and was somewhat nervous. Watching the movie kind of creeped me out as they had to replay that shot of the plane missing the runway and exploding into a fireball. Sure enough we had some really bad turbulence on this flight. The first time the plane shook violently. The second time the plane shook violently again and began suddenly lost altitude. At the passengers began to scream as if we were on a roller coaster. The woman sitting next to be began to hyperventilate. The flight attendants had horrified looks on their faces. We quickly regained a smooth flight and luckily there were no injuries....to this day though, definitely the worst flight I have ever been on.
Bill in ATL

cmckeithen

Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:59 am

It was on a Continental Airlines flight from Houston to New Orleans back when COL was operating the Airbus. I believe it was an A319 or an A320. Any way, we were already on final into MSY the weather was perfect just a little scattered clouds. We were already over the threshold of the runway with both back wheels down when all of a sudden we bounced up out of our seats. Then the front wheel came down and we slowed to a stop. A safe landing, but the aggravating thing was then captain came over the p/a and said "Sorry folks...short runways here in New Orleans we have to come in very hard." Well thanks for the warning after the fact.

CPH-R

Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:31 am

Cmckeithen,
that would have been the A300B4 - I don't think they ever operated the new generation of Airbus aircrafts.

overseasBHX

Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:01 am

I have a religious fear of flying, so I think it would be difficult to quote 'the worst moment'. I guess every time some incident happens, at that moment it does feel like the worst, because one is going through it right then and there.

Of the incidents that I can remember:

On an OA A-300 from FCO to ATH, back in 1989: a seemingly endless nose-dive into the old Hellinikon airport, which if I remember well, was basically an airstrip between the mountains and the sea.

Then, in 1992, having just boarded an IB B-747 in MEX bound for MAD, the captain comes on the p/a and tells us to get off the plane leaving all our hand-luggage behind! and if we hadn't stored it yet up in the bins, then we should leave it on our seats! Everything, including jackets, coats, handbags, etc. Most extraordinary! The flight was delayed for hours and with the usual indifference and lack of regard that IB crews seem to display, we finally took off with no explanation whatsoever. The general perception amongst pax was that there may have been a false alarm about a bomb on board, or even worse, a suicide-bomber, hence the urge to leave all our hand luggage behind.
Nobody ever knew for certain.

Pretty bad turbulence over the North Sea on KL BHX-AMS. The type of violent up-and-down motion when you can see the whole of your coffee jumping out of the cup and you can manage to catch it again, almost whole, back in the cup! (or at least so it seemed to me!)

Extremely bad and long-drawn turbulence on a GA B-747 over Teheran on a BKK-LGW, back in 2001. But probably the very first time that I actually heard people scream was only just recently, on an AA B-777 from LAX to LHR, flying over Lake Manitoba. The captain then came up on the p/a and told us we should expect bad turbulence for about 15 minutes. Funnily enough, it then calmed down and we did not experience any major disruption, save the odd bump.

Goodness, I feel better having got it off my chest!

caribb

Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:23 am

DekX - wow, what a story... must have been scary.. Good to know planes can survive that sort of punishment. I wonder if afterwards they took the aircraft out of service for a maintenance check before using it again?

fsuwxman

Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:56 am

...Having to get off the airplane...
ASOS... Another Shi#y Observation Station

cmckeithen

Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:20 am

This was more of an aggravating flight than a worst moment but I hope it fits under this subject. If not sorry.

I was on a Southwest B737 flight from BNA to MSY back in October 1999. It was foggy and we were banking hard into the clouds to line up for a final approach. Well, a couple seated a row behind me (first time flyers) was terrified that we seemed to be low to the ground...so I explained to them b/c of the fog, it made it seem like we were lower to the ground when in reality we were 800ft up. This is the reason why pilots become IFR certified.

We landed safely and the couple vowed never to fly again.