n844aa

Incorrect Reg In BTS Stats?

Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:52 am

Only recently have I become acutely interested in keeping track of the registrations for the aircraft on which I travel, so I was excited when I recently discovered a number of old ticket stubs hidden away in a desk drawer. Using them, I was able to pin down a number of flights I had had no information about (and realized that one cancelled trip would have put me on a 732 for the first and only time, alas.)

But one aircraft registration (specifically N511AA) that the BTS database returned exists neither on A.net nor on any aircraft census on the Internet. I checked the FAA's N-number database, and the registration returns information about some sort of experimental single-wing craft registered in 1985. Though my memory of the flight is hazy, I'm pretty sure that's not the right plane.

So what is the problem? It seems the BTS's database has some kind of error, which concerns me because I've come to rely on it for tracking down the registration of aircraft used on past flights. Is this a common occurrence, or have I misinterpreted the results in some way?

The flight, by the way, was AA668 on Mar. 13, 1997, if anyone can help me resolve this discrepancy.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

pilottim747

RE: Incorrect Reg In BTS Stats?

Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:00 am

Between what airports was this flight?

pilottim747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

n844aa

Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:11 am

DFW-MIA. The next DFW-MIA flight of that day was on a 727, which I'm hoping is the equipment used on my flight; that would be the time I've confirmed that I've flown on one.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

deltairlines

Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:46 am

With AA on BTS, you have to drop the AA at the end of the registration. The 511 is the AA fleet number. The aircraft you were on was N90511, which I'm sorry to inform you was a MD-82.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jason Knutson

Jeff

n844aa

Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:03 pm

Ah, that explains it -- thanks so much for the clarification. It would have been nice to nail down a 727 trip, but I know I flew on one at least once, on Sun Country before they retired them. Too bad I don't have the date of that flight -- without it, it's just not right to add it to my list.

Thanks again for your help; I appreciate it.