rajivvyas

Why Doesn't Any Airline Fly DTW-MSP Besides NWA?

Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:08 pm

Any idea why there are no non-stop flights on this route when the fares are among the highest?

NWAA330

RE: Why Doesn't Any Airline Fly DTW-MSP Besides NWA?

Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:23 pm

Northwest airlines is notorious, even among the majors for fighting competition out of their hub cities, let alone between two of them. If any airline were to cut into that market NW would triple capacity and slash fares incurring the loss until the competition left. The fares are among the lowest because there is no competition, if your going to MSP your stuck with paying it and NW isn't one to miss easy cash. Besides who would fly it?? No one would take on NW like that, not on their home turf.
To Fly is to Live.

NWAA330

Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:26 pm

The sentence in the previous response should read:

"The fares are among the HIGHEST..."

Sorry
NWAA330
To Fly is to Live.

SESGDL

Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:27 pm

The only possible airlines who would fly it are Sun Country, Spirit, or WN. Spirit is obviously not interested in MSP and WN has done everything in their power to avoid the hub, Sun Country is now back to flying charters. NW is predatory when it comes to keeping airlines out of MSP. Look what they did to Sun Country. There's no demand either, NW has enough coverage with over 10 daily flights. DTW's metro pop. is about 5 milllion while MSP according to my book on our state says it at about 2.9-3.1 million. So they're large enough city pairs to support another carrier.

Jeremy

HlywdCatft

Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:29 pm

Champion could possibly start scheduled service between the two if they chose to go scheduled- both airports see a lot of Champion Air and I believe it is based at MSP

OzarkD9S

Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:32 pm

If you were an airline CEO would YOU send your aircraft on a fool's errand between the two largest hubs of an incumbent carrier without a hub of your own on either end?
Only DL flies between ATL and CVG and SLC for the same reason. Only US flies between CLT and PHL and PIT. Only CO flies between IAH and CLE and EWR. Air Tran tried PHL-PIT, and left.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

airlinelover

Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:51 pm

NW owns a controlling share of Champion though.. They still see $$ if Champion does well.. If you want to take another carrier, take a connection!!  Smile

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

luv2fly

Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:00 pm

Yes NWA does own an interest in Champion Air. Also Sun Country and the scheduled service they offered to DTW was really just to position a plane to DTW to run a charter flight for the tour operator FunJet Vacations. Also they never did a whole lot to promote or publish these flights, and the on time performance left a whole lot to be desired. It really was not a well run program at all.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:02 pm

Sun Country DID fly between DTW/MSP (and used DC-10 at one point!) but got their butts kicked by NW (which flew almost 20 daily flights at one point, including a half-dozen on DC-10).

Champion could possibly start scheduled service between the two if they chose to go scheduled- both airports see a lot of Champion Air and I believe it is based at MSP.

FYI: The flying Champion does ex-MSP and ex-DTW is on behalf of MLT Vacations -- wich is wholly owned by NW.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:06 pm

NW recently just sold their 40% stake in Champion

Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:07 pm

Also Sun Country and the scheduled service they offered to DTW was really just to position a plane to DTW to run a charter flight ... Also they never did a whole lot to promote or publish these flights...

Huh? Sun Country flew DTW-MSP until 9-11 -- at that point, they no longer operated flights on behalf of Funjet ex-DTW. There were multiple dailies, utilizing B727 and DC-10 aircraft (maybe B738 toward the end)... the flights were bookable on all travel websites (e.g. Expedia, Travelocity, SunCountry.com) and Sun Country DID promote the flights -- they offered the "1-Day Mall of America" shopping sprees that were advertised all over the place (NW also offered the same thing).

luv2fly

Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:07 pm

Thanks for that info, interesting to hear? Should be good for Champion in the long run.
You can cut the irony with a knife

prosa

Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:09 pm

Okay, I can understand that Southwest and Spirit wouldn't go up against NW on the DTW-MSP route. But how about FNT-RST?
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

tekelberry

Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:12 pm

The majors have a limited point-to-point network. The majority of their traffic is point-hub, hub-point or hub-hub. They only do point-point from focus cities. NW would drive any major out of any of its hub if it set up a focus city there.

In fact, take a look at the major's hubs. They're not as monopolized as NW's hubs.

ORD (AA, UA have major hubs)
DEN (UA, Frontier have major hubs)
DFW (AA-major hub, DL-mini-hub)
ATL (DL, FL have major hubs)
NYC (All majors focus on this market)
IAH (OK, I admit CO has pretty much monopolized this market, but that's only 1 hub)

I'm just talking about the major hubs here, CVG, CLE, MIA, etc don't count due to its limited hub size. I might be missing some here.

Also, if you want to fly DTW-MSP for less than what NW has published, AA is the only other airline that has lower published fares for this route. You would go DTW-MSP via ORD or STL.

[Edited 2003-07-18 06:15:06]

airlinelover

Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:15 pm

PSU- Thanks..  Smile I didn't know that

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:21 pm

Also, if you want to fly DTW-MSP for less than what NW has published, AA is the only other airline that has lower published fares for this route. You would go DTW-MSP via ORD or STL.

A walk-up DTW-MSP-DTW fare is about ~$1100+ inclusive. A walk-up DTW-MDW-MSP-MDW-DTW fare is about ~$400 inclusive.

rajivvyas

RE: Why Doesn't Any Airline Fly DTW-MSP Besides NW

Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:23 pm

From what I remember, the stake in Champion was sold off by Spirit few months back.