767ALLTHEWAY
Topic Author

Getting A Job @ An Airport.

Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:20 pm

Now I know for a fact that there are other aviation enthusiats that have come across the same ideas and have probably drawn similar conclusions. Im currently 17, and I turn 18 in April, I will be old enough to work for an airline. Now it would only be for a summer after HS and before college. Up here at Boston there are always ad's, Im used to phyiscally demanding work and am pretty strong, enough to lug 75+ pounds around repeadtly. Those who have had ramp jobs, would this be acceptable/recomended. Any thoughts ideas from an older age would be great. Thank's
Best Regards,
767ALLTHEWAY
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear"

WMUPilot

RE: Getting A Job @ An Airport.

Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:57 pm

I rarely have to carry anything over 75lbs. Mainly because I also do counter duties and won't let the bags get that heavy. I started just before I turned 19 and it is a blast. I think you will be fine to apply for a job going after a ramp job in BOS. Plus I think you'd like the the aircraft that service BOS!!! Go for it!!
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

cancidas

Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:07 pm

How do I apply for the job. I've been trying to contact Swissport here at LGA to no avail. Thier mailing address is no help either. I don't know where to look for them. I've tried thier website but thier email addresses don't function. And no one pics up thier phone! Agh!
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

Delta777-XXX

Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:11 pm

I would also really like to get some sort of job when I turn 18 in March. Delta is really the biggest carrier here in ATL, and I don't think they are hiring for any position... but I think airtran is. How tough is it to become a gate agent while I'm in college? I start in the fall.

Hank

jhooper

Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:28 pm

Getting a job with a major U.S. airline is pretty difficult right now, but around 7 years ago I know an 18 year old who worked as a Delta DFW agent for the summer. They have a college intern program too.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

POSITIVE RATE

Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:15 pm

It's the same situation here in Oz right now too. None of the airlines are really hiring ramp staff, but i wanna do it so bad. Oh well just have to be patient i guess.

glider

Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:41 pm

If you like to come to Belgium, they're looking for loading personnel in august  Wink/being sarcastic

Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:08 pm

DON'T !!! RUN !!!! RUN ... ESCAPE WHILE YOU CAN!!!!

And if you do... don't take anything Customer Service oriented (ie tkt counter, gate) unless you have extremely thick skin. Because you WILL be attacked in a very personal manner by irate passsengers.

RAMP's way safer !!

DFWLandingPath

Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:16 pm

I to am 17 like 767ALLTHEWAY and Delta777-XXX. Anybody know of an airline hiring nationwide? Perhaps at DFW?  Big grin

Cheers
DFWLandingPath

WMUPilot

Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:30 pm

I do believe that TZ is always hiring. Just check out our website http://www.ata.com However i think our ramp duties are contracted out in DFW to Serviscare so you would be sent to Customer Service. And like Tonytcnyc said you do need to have thick skin. However I love when people get angry and when you prove their argument wrong and now they are left with no argument at all......now that is entertainment to me!
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:32 pm

I've been in the industry for 5 years now and learned a few things....

1. If you get hired for customer service, be prepared for a minimum of two weeks training at the airlines hub. Some are only two weeks, other airlines have you there for 5 weeks or more.

2. Your schedule will vary and change. As a new hire you will be the lowest in seniority (most schedules are bid on in order of seniority) One bid you could be working nights, the next could be mornings. Holidays and weekends can be constant.

3. Unless your at a small airport with a light flight schedule, be prepared for the realization that they usually WON'T work around your schedule. When I was in college it was extremely difficult to work and go to school at the same time. It can be done, but it is tough

4. Ya like rain? snow? sleet? If you said yes, cool. As a ramp agent you will work in the worst weather known to man. In April this year we had an ice storm in ROC. Let me tell ya, it was brutal.

5. Delays, delays, delays. You may be scheduled to work from 12noon till 830pm. If that last flight is delayed for any reason, you could be there up to 3 to 4 hours past the end of your scheduled shift.

6. Be in decent shape both physically and mentally. Trust me, flights can be full of bags and irate people. You can be whittled down to your last strain of sanity in no time.

I love the airline industry and have more good days than bad...... But those bad days can make you a career in the airline industry or make you run away screaming.

GOOD LUCK!

Delta777-XXX

Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:50 pm

I'll be starting college next month. How can I get in with an internship? Do you think there is a certain class that I would have to sign up for? Would I be able to keep the job during the summer? Any information on an internship would be awesome...

Thanks,
Hank