GoAround
Topic Author

BBC Reports Walkout At BA

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:17 am

The BBC has reported that all BA staff at T1 LHR have walked out, resulting in the cancellation of all flights this evening. Reasons have yet to be given, but more details to follow at the BBC website, www.bbc.co.uk/news.

GoAround
GoAround

GDB

RE: BBC Reports Walkout At BA

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:19 am

I got a text saying the same, don't know why though, BA staff are not militant, so they've been clearly upset about something big.

GoAround
Topic Author

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:24 am

Interesting story to say the least, and definitely not expected... we'll see what the always-trustworthy  Big grin BBC report. Nothing on BA website a few minutes ago...

GoAround
GoAround

GDB

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 am

Not much so far, though that should change;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3078911.stm

Demoose

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:28 am

It's reportedly about new procedures for staff gaining access to the terminals according to BBC Ceefax.
Take a ride...fly across the sky

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:35 am

Trying to get through to British Airways United Kingdom via telephone for an explanation.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

GoAround
Topic Author

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:37 am

The BBC says 'BA flights from Heathrow Airport's Terminal One have been grounded because of industrial action by the airline's staff,' adding that all T1 departures for this evening are cancelled.

GoAround
GoAround

Demoose

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:41 am

Any they're gonna love you for that. Surely the sensible thing to do would to let British Airways help the passengers affected by this, all BA flights from T1 have been cancelled. Its a friday night, and the first day of the start of the summer holiday in the UK - don't you think they have enough work on their hands from people actually booked to travel tonight?  Insane

Floris

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:43 am

Singapore_Air: why on earth are you calling BA if you are not booked on a flight yourself? They have plenty of work to do for people who are booked on a flight this evening!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:44 am

British Airways Newcastle - main call centre - says that there is a strike, no, walkout happenning in Terminal 1.

I pretended to have a friend travelling to Edinburgh on BA1465.

The friend would have to phone the main BA call center and rebook on flights. They would "hope" and "imagine" that flights will depart tomorrow albeit with possible delays.

The nice young girl I spoke to also found it amusing that I said that she probably wouldn't have a very good evening. She sounded nice and sounds like a good future wife.

Anyway, not much info yet.

SAAB340

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:47 am

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:48 am

"BA has advised passengers planning to travel on one of its flights on Friday evening to call 0800 727 800 for further information."

BBC

The number is engaged at the moment

Boeing757/767

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:49 am

Once again, another example of how unions ruin this industry.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

Demoose

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:52 am

"The number is engaged at the moment"

I'm not suprised with you appearing to cream yourself over this incident. Give people who really need information a chance to get through and stop busy bodying around.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:52 am

"All of our agents are still busy. Please continue to hold, we will be with you as soon as possible."

Right, I've got better things to do. Bye!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:54 am

What a reaction. Only trying to provide information here.  Insane

David_itl

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:56 am

Some of the inbound evening flights are now diverting (BA819 from CPH, BA971 from HAM & returning back to sunny MAN is BA1403)

David

bmacleod

So I guess PM Tony Blair is stuck in Washington. He did come over on a BA 777 right?
The engine is the heart of an airplane, but the pilot is its soul.

Floris

Singapore_Air, you are joking right? I mean, I cannot image anybody being annoying and arrogant enough to start making such stupid phone calls while other people who are booked on a flight this evening are not able to get through.

Jaspike

"She sounded nice and sounds like a good future wife."
Hmm...

Why are you ringing that number if you're not travelling? It will just mean that paying passengers who are affected will have to wait longer...

Edit: While I was typing away, another 5 or so posts got in front of me  Laugh out loud

[Edited 2003-07-18 19:57:44]

LJ

Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:08 am

Once again, another example of how unions ruin this industry.

Boeing 757/767, read the article and discover that this is an unofficial strike without any union endorsement.

747firstclass

Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:13 am

www.skynews.co.uk reports that it has to do with the way employees have access to the terminals and also refers to shift monitoring procedures.
I cant tell if it is 2 work issues or 2 descriptions for one issue.

captaingomes

Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:04 am

Singapore_Air, surely she doesn't think you're a potential future husband. You'll freak out if she buys tissues that are not ultra-absorbant.

This is odd, I'd like to find out from some BA employees as to why this is happening, because from the releases, it doesn't quite add up. Glad I'm not connecting on BA today!
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

clipperno1

Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:13 am

Offical Word from british-airways.com :

Terminal 1 flight cancellations
Due to unofficial industrial action at London Heathrow Airport terminal 1 by some British airways ground staff, all of the airlines domestic and European flights from terminal 1 have been cancelled.

We advise our customers not to come to terminal 1 this evening but to call the airline on a special customer helpline number.

UK: 0800 727 800 All other customers are recommended to phone their local British Airways office.

Flight to and from Heathrow's terminal 4 are not affected by the unofficial industrial action.

-------------------

They are stress ing that the actions are un-offical. Ts...unions  Yawn
Makes me think of the movie 'Goodfellas'
"I really don't know one plane from the other. To me they are just marginal costs with wings."� Alfred Kahn, 1977

Demoose

Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:18 am

Just been looking on that well known pilot site, and it appears the unnofficial walkout is over the implementation of a swipe card system for staff wishing to gain access to the terminals. A system called iARM (?), which would affect the staff's accessibility in the terminals. Maybe someone else knows more about it.

Meanwhile 60 flights from Heathrow have been cancelled, other airports are taking diverted aircraft, Manchester Airport has warned that it could consequently affect its flights - same goes for the other major airports I guess.

[Edited 2003-07-18 21:24:20]

Ikarus

Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:54 am

BBC says it's basically a system which requires staff to swipe a card on access, among other things it's going to monitor their working times. The system has been used for most other BA staff for 2 years now, according to BA

In short, they are striking, without any union support, because they don't want to get caught when they come to work late or leave early, from what I gather at the moment.

If that is indeed the case, then frankly, I think evey single one of them should be fired

Regards

Ikarus

Ned Kelly

Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:13 am

Lj: Boeing 757/767, read the article and discover that this is an unofficial strike without any union endorsement.

Of course the union would have to say that they have not endorsed this unofficial action. Under British trade union laws the union could otherwise be accountable for damages, if BA decides to sue the unions through the courts for lost revenue.

I have had similar experience with these type of unofficial walk outs many of times. The unions are very good at using "the grapevine" to create a walk out, & unofficially the strike probably has their full backing.

bobrayner

Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:16 am

That's very odd.

BA staff hardly have a reputation for striking willy-nilly - so why walk out on a very busy evening over a swipe-card system? It's hardly like a round of redundancies, or a pay drop, or outsourcing.

I'd love to see how this unfolds. Perhaps there's more to this system than just time-checking - is it tied to other changes in working procedures or access? Or maybe whoever is rolling the system out reacted very crassly to early complaints? Or, or, or...

Cunning linguist

GoAround
Topic Author

Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:21 am

Well, in fairness to the people who have walked out, it's not the sort of thing we'd expect from BA and it's definitely not a regular occurrance, so I'm sure there's some good reason for this. BBC radio were reporting earlier that it was something to do with full-time ground staff angry because they believe part-timers are overpaid, however the BBC website now says...

"It is understood the employees are protesting against a new swipecard entry system which allows their working hours to be monitored."

Perhaps it's a combination of this and some other issues that has led to this? Anyone from BA care to enlighten us?

GoAround
GoAround

Ned Kelly

Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:33 am

Ikarus. I think that you may have only half the story here (probably as we all have!), and you have made IMO a harsh judgment based on this tiny piece of information. I guess the only people who know the full facts are BA and the BA unions (TGWU I think!)

Sky news are also reporting in addition to what you said in your first paragraph. It said that BA staff at T1 would be required to work x amount of hours annually, and that staff could be sent home at quiet periods if their services were not required. In reverse, they would be called into work at busy periods, and in theory even on their days off! The swipe card system is designed to record their hours worked annually and not just a tool to see who comes in to work late or goes home early.

I will be surprised if BA implemented this "new" system without negotiations with the unions first. If they did then I see this as bad management. If it was negotiated with the unions and the unions agreed to it, then it is IMO sour grapes on their behalf.

Ned.

GoAround
Topic Author

Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:11 am

Something must have majorly annoyed them... the slowly-growing BBC report now says that there are no confirmations of T1 services tomorrow, but T4 IS open... Very weird...

Edit: BA are also very keen to note it's 'unnoficial' action... I'd be interested to hear from someone at BA what's going on here!

GoAround

[Edited 2003-07-18 23:13:21]
GoAround

GoAround
Topic Author

Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:54 am

Just watching ITV news which tells of 89 cancellations and 250 staff walking out, because of new working conditions - BA wants to send them home at quiet times but then to come back in when there are more flights and more work to be done.

(Interesting how ITV had a few nice close-up shots of the bmi british midland desks)

Views? Anything to add?

GoAround
GoAround

DoorsToManual

Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:04 am

Well, I work in the same job but for another airline at another airport - and for a lower wage (I get paid 5.80 pounds/hour).

I don't know what working conditions are like for BA T1, and what exactly happened today, but I am not sure walking away from your job without prior warning is a sensible course of action.

Given this affects pax and the airline in a dramatic way, the action may well backfire.

Will keep listening!

CX Flyboy

Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:43 am

You could also claim that unions are the ones that have built this industry up to be the respecible careers that they are, and are preventing the rapid decay and decline of jobs into us all being bus drivers...and being paid as such.

GDB

Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:02 pm

Morale is very low at BA, one minute we are told how bad the situation is, so hardly any pay rise, next we make a profit, so senior management reward themselves.
In the past, there have been great changes at BA, but people went with it as the airline was doing well, so staff got a bonus when the big profits were announced.
In more recent years, rudderless management, millions spent on overblown H.Q. buildings, for the overblown management, (the very nice facilities at Waterside compared to the hangers and terminals are a major cause of resentment, I bet the staff there, busy sipping latte's and surfing the web won't have this 'big brother' system brought in).
I don't know the exact issues behind what has happened at T1, but I would point out that for ground staff, the unions at BA are pussies.

GoAround
Topic Author

Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:09 pm

Just checked the BBC site this morning... all T1 flights cancelled until 10am (BST) as with Paris and Amsterdam flights from T4. Apparently staff in T4 had also stopped working last night, and BA is unsure how many will return this morning.

GoAround
GoAround

LostXistance

Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:23 pm

Singapore_air i think the BA call centre staff have alot on their hands already helping actual passengers through this crisis without having some non-flying member of the public calling them up faking a story just to find out whats going on, when someone who really needs their help is left on hold. People like yourself irratate me. Couldnt you just of waited to hear the story on the news or on here like everyone else?

atco

Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:35 pm

Whilst I sympathise with any group of workers who have legitimate industrial concerns, they should be brought up through appropriate channels in the appropriate way.

I was unfortunate enough to be at work yesterday on an afternoon shift, and from an air traffic point of view this stupid, thoughtless action caused chaos and could have endangered the safety of numerous aircraft.
The London TMA ended up with planes scattered everywhere, BA flights not knowing what to do while waiting for Ops to tell them where to divert to, other planes scattering around as we tried to maintain some kind of safe service, and some BA flights going round and round from one alternate to another. For example I was on radar when one BA flight originally wanted to go to Stansted, then ended up on his way to East Midlands, and when he had almost got there announces to me "We've been told we can go back to Heathrow which we would like to do, but we are short on fuel so will need a direct route". At this time I was very busy with departures and other inbounds, and my reply was basically there are other planes in the sky apart from you.

We had no warning of this action and timed at Friday teatime the skies were busy enough as it is, without this nonsense. Whoever organised this unofficial walkout should be sacked immediately.
Canon through and through

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:36 pm

I could have waited yes.
----
Staff also stopped work in Terminal Four.

The airline has cancelled domestic flights on Saturday up until 1000 BST.

Flights to European destinations due to leave before 0730 BST on Saturday have also been cancelled, and there will be no services to Paris and Amsterdam from Terminal Four before 1000 BST.

BBC

star_world

Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:51 pm

Looks like the situation has become even more serious, all BA T1 flights cancelled until at least 3pm today following another walkout this morning. Also serious delays / cancellations at T4, not just on the CDG / AMS routes but on some of the longhaul flights too.

co/ba

Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:54 pm

Good for them. As said above the unions that represent BA ground staff are worthless. Maybe if they stoped collecting dues they would do thier jobs and represent the employees they represent.

apuneger

Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:00 pm

Hi guys and girls,

Some of you know that I was on a UK/Ireland spotting trip together with TurboTrent and Sabena 690.

Yesterday evening we should have had flight BA 404 LHR-BRU. We arrived at the airport by 5pm and, once in the departures lounge, wewere told by a very friendly Harrods salesman that a lot of flights had been cancelled due to a strike. A bit later, a flights got cancelled and we were told to call BA Reservations on 0800-727 800 (a very busy telephone line...)

After trying for a couple of hours, we finally got put through with somebody from BA and we were put on BA 392 on saturday morning. Others had more luck and got on BA 388 I think (7h15am flight).

So, we decided to stay at the airport and try to make the best out of it (as did many many others).

At around 4h15, we noticed that many morning flights got cancelled again (including the first BA 388 LHR-BRU, too bad for the pax...). We went up one level to the FCC (Flight Connections) and got in the Q for more than 3 hours.

Fortunately, we got our boarding passes for BA 392 LHR-BRU, and the flight didn't get cancelled, as did many other international T1 flight after 7h30am.

So, I got home by 10h15am London time. Once home, I checked BRU arrivals, only to find out that again two BA LHR-BRU afternoon flights have been cancelled again. What a mess. If I was still there, I sure would have gone crazy. I hope all stranded pax can get out soon! I know how it's like...

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

DoorsToManual

Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:30 pm

Sheesh, even intercontinental flights have been disrupted:

Heathrow flight operations

British Airways has cancelled all domestic and European services to and from Heathrow Terminal 1 for the rest of the day and all shorthaul services from Heathrow Terminal 4.

All Longhaul services from Terminal 4 have also been cancelled until 6pm.

In addition the following Heathrow services have also been cancelled:

Terminal Flight Route
4 BA073 Abu Dhabi/ Muscat
4 BA143 Delhi
4 BA253 Nassau/ Grand Cayman
3 BA207 Miami

We have been left with no alternative but to make this decision as a result of the continued unpredictable and unofficial industrial action by staff.

We are very sorry for the disruption this is causing our customers.

We are asking those due to fly today not to come to the airport as we are unable to book you on services today.

Customers have three options:

Rebook, Re-route or Refund

Customers are asked to contact our helpline number on UK 0800 727 800 or British Airways reservations on UK 0870 850 9850 or your travel agent or local British Airways Office to rearrange your travel plans.

I don't think BA needs this mess right now!  Sad

airlinefreak1

Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:43 pm

The BA flight from DUBAI (DXB) thats supposed to leave at 9:30 to LHR has been delyaed till 2:00 ...just saw it depart ...

elal106

Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:26 pm

Regarding all those passengers who are forced to spend a night in London, is BA liable for compensating their hotel stay?

Ikarus

Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:27 pm

From the bbc website:

"The workers were protesting against a new swipe card entry system, called Automated Time Recording, which allows managers to monitor their working hours.

It is understood staff are worried that the system, due to be introduced on Tuesday, could lead to staff being sent home during quiet periods.

BA denied this, and said swipe cards had already been in use in some parts of its Heathrow operations for three years. "

I tend to believe BA on this one... Shame on the check-in staff

atco

Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:33 pm

CO/ba

"Good for them" !!

What!

The dissastisfaction with the staff of their Union has what to do with the thousands of passengers who have had their holidays/business trips ruined?

Not to mention the dangerous situation that erupted in the London TMA last night when this unannounced strike happened and the shit hit the fan.

Sure, strike, you have the right, but do it in the appropriate and legal way.

You claim that your union representatives are spineless and do not represent you, but are you not the spineless ones for not getting rid of them and replacing them with people who you think will fight your corner?
I am a rep in my ATCO's union, and your reps/executive have to be elected, if you're not happy use your democratic right, and stop screwing up the lives of innocent people.

What is your response to the dangerous situation that developed in the TMA last night when this happened, do you believe that putting aircraft, their crews, their passengers into danger is an acceptable way to make a point?
Because let me tell you this, it is only a matter of luck and the professionalism and skill of my collegues that there was not a serious incident yesterday.
Canon through and through

Sabena 690

Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:52 pm

Ivan: all the remaining flights from LHR are cancelled apparently today.

What a luck we were booked on the BA392! Otherwise we could spend another day at T1.

Anyway, because there was no staff, there was no customerservice. After (like Ivan said) being stuck at LHR from 5pm till 9am, I have to read here what was actually happening (I don't have to say that a lot of people were frustrated).

When more was known about the strike, the only thing we heard was an announcement with the text 'to leave the terminal'. "BA apologies for any inconvenience"  Yeah sure

BA does not pay you back hotel costs etc etc, so we were forced to 'sleep' in T1. All hotels were full anyway...

The way how this all happened is a big shame, sorry but I had not expected this kind of arrogance from a lot of BA people.

GoAround
Topic Author

Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:39 pm

The reasons they have given for going on strike seem a bit strange... surely there must be more to it than this?!

GoAround
GoAround

gkirk

Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:42 pm

Actually, I dont think you can blame the airline. Its staff are angry (very angry it seems) of their working conditions and started to strike with no notice at all. What else could BA do in these circumstances?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!