Virgin Australia And Impulse To Merge

Tue Dec 14, 1999 7:19 am

I had a discussion last night with someone who is 'advising' Impulse airlines about thier possible float and jet aquisitions, he said in a hush-hush tone that there is now strong consideration to "merge" the two. Yes it was the word merge, not allign or cooperate.

Why they would i dont know?

Al

RE: Virgin Australia And Impulse To Merge

Tue Dec 14, 1999 8:35 am

It would give Virgin access to an AOC (or if you like official clearance to fly) as they would more than likely use Impulse's current one. Would only mean getting clearance from the authorities on the airworthiness of the planes they want to bring in, rather than having to go through the whole fine toothcomb checks that the authorities do to any new start up. I really can't see if Virgin need Impulse for any other reason, and Virgin's announcement would have sounded the death knell for any float/revenue raising that Impulse would have done for it's rumoured expansion into mainline flying.
Apart from all that, a merger would be excellent for one reason - dare I say it! You could probably get away with telling the other half that you were going to the airport to ride a Virgin on impulse!! (Or an impulsive Virgin !!!) LOL !!
Cheers. Al.

Ansett767

Tue Dec 14, 1999 5:45 pm

Hhahaha Al
you really are quite witty mate!

Very funny indeed!

Sun Dec 19, 1999 6:31 am

I can think of one other reason Virgin might want Impulse - the fact that Impulse has it's own terminal space at Sydney and Brisbane. I know those two airports have offered Virgin terminal space anyway, but it's a lot easier to just use what's already existing than start from scratch, I guess!