Ciro
Topic Author

Hong Kong & Guangzhou

Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:11 pm

I think it is quite clear that Hong Kong has a much better strategic positioning as a main regional hub in the region, but has Guangzhou the ability to, eventually, match Chap Lap Kok in terms of connecting importance? Is Guangzhou seen as a "secondary" and competing terminal, or purely an O&D airport?

Even though both airports are located nearby and they do belong to the same country, I think there's still has a psychological barrier between the two cities (thus, few intermodal and cross-border passenger exchanges). Am I right?

Would you have any comments about this topic or could suggest me any further reading?

Ciro

The fastest way to become a millionaire in the airline business is to start as a billionaire.

Airbus A3XX

RE: Hong Kong & Guangzhou

Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:46 pm

At least it is much easier to stopover HK enroute as visa is not required by most passengers to get into Hong Kong.

buckfifty

RE: Hong Kong & Guangzhou

Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:30 pm

It really depends on the economic development of Guangzhou, as the airports are serving different markets in a very literal sense. The catchment area is very different, and Guangzhou will probably play a major role as a domestic hub in China.

It could be that, because many of the Chinese carriers have been hard pressed getting international slots in HKIA, that they'll pursue flying international routes out of Guangzhou instead. But as for international carriers flying into Guangzhou, that would be a different matter. Even with the new Guangzhou airport, HKIA has itself positioned in a niche already as an international hub, offering services and a reputation that Guangzhou will be hard pressed to match in the next two decades.

In the simplest of terms, Guangzhou is not an internationally well renowned destination, though it does have a growing economic importance in the region. And perhaps it is because of the economics that will drive Guangzhou to almost the same passenger numbers as HKIA within the decade, though much of it probably through domestic flights (as the base for China Southern).