IslandHopper
Topic Author

Airports With Subway Or Metro Train Service

Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:31 am

I live in Riverside, CA near Los Angeles and fly a lot to ATL. Once I'm in ATL, I can hop on the MARTA and be to my business destination at Buckhead within a few minutes. No car rental or taxi/shuttle hassles.

I really wish LA would get its act together and connect our Metrolink to LAX or one of the other airports. I could just hop on the train and not have to worry about traffic or parking. I'm wondering if LA has the only major big city airport not to have any transportation to the airport other than by road.

luv2fly

RE: Airports With Subway Or Metro Train Service

Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:39 am

DTW does not as well.
You can cut the irony with a knife

MAH4546

Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:46 am

Miami's MetroRail heavy-rail/subway system will be extended to the airport. It was approved last November. Should be ready by 2011.
a.

gigneil

Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:48 am

I know people that would offer first born children if WMATA would extend the Metrorail to IAD. Its been "in planning" for at least a decade.

Of course... we enjoy service on two lines to DCA - what I am convinced is the single most convenient airport in the world.

N

elwood64151

Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:50 am

LGA is short on any rail links to Manhattan, and JFK is only just about to get one.

LAS does not have one, though the city is talking about joining forces with the city's monorail builders to do just that.

SEA is building one, but the people of the city do not want the one the city wants to build, and it's tied up in court (people want monorail, city council wants sub-terranian light-rail).

I am not aware of any rail links to PHX.

MCI is so dependent upon cars and shuttles it's not funny. The city bus runs only once an hour and then it's only a shuttle to Barry Road, which is still 15 miles from downtown, then making you transfer two more times before you get to downtown.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

goboeing

Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:55 am

I definitely agree with Gigneil about DCA. Of airports I've been to, DCA is absolutely the most convenient. It's basically walking distance from the mall, Smithsonian, Capitol building, etc. Plus the metro is right there to take you even faster.

Nick

UN_B732

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:00 am

When is A I R T R A I N going to be opened and where will it take you?
-AG
What now?

UN_B732

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:00 am

AirTrain JFK. Is what I meant.
-UN
What now?

capt078

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:03 am

boston's logan airport, which can often be a very frustrating airport, does have several options for commuting from the city to the airport. passengers can drive, take several different bus services, take the subway, or take a water taxi. actually, the water taxi and subway services are pretty good and reliable, although once on the airport grounds you have to jump on an airport bus to the actual terminal. before the city opened the new turnpike connection to the airport (part of the big dig), the subway and water taxi were the best methods of getting to and from the airport, especially at peak times.

GALLO_MEXICO

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:05 am

MEX has the "Terminal Aerea" metro station, line 5.

MAD and LHR has metro stations as well. LHR in 4 terminals.

FRA has the "S bahn", and CDG the "RER" and "TGV".

GALLO_MEXICO

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:16 am

Heathrow Express
BAA's Heathrow Express is the revolutionary, non-stop train service between Heathrow Airport and Paddington station in the heart of London. It's just 15 minutes to and from Terminals 1, 2 and 3, and five minutes more to and from Terminal 4. Convenient and reliable, trains depart every 15 minutes, 365 days a year.

apollo13

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:19 am

SFO has its bart and AIRTRAIN service at the airport

Adam T.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:19 am

BART in the San Francisco Bay Area just opened up a station at SFO.
I think Chicago and Dallas might also have links to their respective airports. I will double check and then post later.
Adam

caetravlr

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:20 am

ORD also will take you from the airport to downtown via train. As long and noisy as it is, I remember many times looking out the window as I passed by bumper to bumper traffic not going anywhere.

I think that SFO is workin to extend the public transportation system to the airport. Not sure if that project is completed or not, but I think it is supposed to open soon.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

FLAIRPORT

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:24 am

MAH4546, where will metrorail be extended from? are there any other stations planned. I drove by the new station and it looks really nice.

FLL doesn't have one Big grin

MCO and TPA and Jacksonville, FL do not have a city system.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

UALPHLCS

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:27 am

PHL has SEPTA's R1 line to the airport and serves all the terminals except terminal F.

Due to budget cuts SEPTA wants to eliminate the service but the airport is begging them not to, because so many airport employee's depend on the train. Not as many passengers use it.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

Adam T.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:28 am

I just checked the Dallas Area Rapid Transit and they do have service on the Trinity Railway Express which runs from downtown Dallas all the way to downtown Fort Worth with DFW as a stop. The only downside is that it does not run on Sunday  Sad
There is no rail link to Lovefield.
Adam

acidradio
Crew

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:40 am

The Hiawatha Light Rail is under construction in Minneapolis linking Mall of America - MSP Airport - Hiawatha Ave. corridor - Metrodome - Downtown Minneapolis. It is slated to open Spring 2004. Not yet here, but soon.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

FLAIRPORT

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:43 am

yeah, my friend in White Bear Lake told me about it. must be a tough project in a city thats already built

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:48 am

Here in Sydney (SYD) we have underground heavy suburban rail to the CBD (10minutes travel - 10 minutes between trains or better) (from either the International Station or Domestic Station) with connections to 306 Cityrail stations alone plus bus / ferry interchanges across the Metropolitan area.

Cheers,

mb

Alpha 1

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:50 am

CLE has RTA Rapid Transit from below the terminal to Tower City Center, and from there connections to all over the city, including The Flats, Browns Stadium and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

OzarkD9S

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:54 am

St Louis (STL) has MetroLink light rail to downtown, across the river as far Belleville, close to Mid-America airport. Right now it's one east-west line but extensions to various parts of St Louis and St Louis County are under construction or under development.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

ILOVEA340

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:58 am

Zurich Switzerland has an amazing system.
from the airport train station there are trains to literally everywhere in Switzerland and also Munich, Germany, and one which travels through all of Austria (Innsbruck, Salzburg, Vienna and on to Bratislava)

There is also the Bus station, with bus' to just about eveywhere in the greater Zurich area.

The best part is that the tyrainstation is literaly inside the terminal.

MarcoPolo747

Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:00 am

ZRH has an excellent rail link not only to the city center but also to all corners of Switzerland and to destinations in Germany, Austria, France and Italy.

Passengers flying with Swiss can check their luggage at the railway station where they are starting their trip and check it to their final destination. For instance, you can check your luggage in Zermatt and pick it up in Buenos Aires. It is one of the most efficient and user friendly rail links in operation, they virtually run a "Hauptbahnhof" under the airport.

elwood64151

Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:14 am

If you read the original quesiton, they were asking about cities that do not have metro rail links to the airport.

This is, however, good information to know...

Cheers!
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

gigneil

Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:16 am

The topic itself is actually the opposite of the question.  Nuts

N

United Airline

Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:17 am

According to the Hong Kong SAR Government, CLK is the world's first airport with an Airport Express Train System built purposely for the Airport.

SIN has one. Also SYD.

ramper@iah

Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:41 am

Newark is the only NYC area airport with train service to downtown. I rode it a few weeks ago. $12 and 20 minutes will get you to Madison Square Garden. Not too bad considering that a cab ride costs about $40 and takes forever when the traffic is thick. Besides, who like riding in NYC cabs? The train smells so much better.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:47 am

UA,

SYD's is not just a single line to the airport, it feeds into the Cityrail metropolitan system and whilst one of the reasons it was purpose built for the Olympics it also reduces congestion on other lines by removing Cambletown and East Hills trains from Sydenham junction.

As well as the 2 Airport stations there is 3 new suburban stations on the new line - Green Sq, Mascot and Wolli Creek.

We also do not use dedicated rolling stock for the line either - it's just plain 8 & 4 car double deck EMU suburban sets.

Cheers,

mb

STT757

Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:57 am

"Of course... we enjoy service on two lines to DCA - what I am convinced is the single most convenient airport in the world."

I was reading an article about air/rail links in the US and DCA has the highest percentage of airport travelers using rail to connect to a flight, 30-35% of DCA travelers arrive/depart DCA via the Metro.

The JFK Airtrain should open in November, it will connect the 9 terminals with each other as well as the NYC "A" train Subway station in nearby Howard Beach neighborhood as well as the Long Island Rail Road station at Jamaica.

If your traveling to JFK from Manhattan you either take the LIRR which is a commuter rail road to Jamaica station and hope on the Air Train or you can take the "A" train subway line from Manhattan to Howard Beach station and hop on the Air train there.

NYC Subway map..

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Long Island Rail Road Map..

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/lirr/html/lirrmap.htm

These are the stops it will make in the Central Terminal area, note the dipiction of the completed AA terminal # 8.

Here's a picture of the British Airways Terminal Air Train station, travelers cross a sky bridge to access the terminal.

The JFK Airtrain travels on a elevated right of way built above the Van Wyck expressway to the Long Island Rail Road's Jamaica station.

At Jamaica station a new Air train concourse is being constructed, travelers travel down escalators to access the Long Island Rail Road which travels to Manhattan's Pennsylvania Station on 34th street.

Jamaica station..

Jamaica Station Long Island Rail Road platform view..

The Air train also connects to the NYC Subway system at the Howard Beach station for the "A" train.

Howard Beach Subway station..

Aerial view of the Howard Beach Subway station, the JFK Air Train comes in from the right.

Air Train vehicles..

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

kdonohue

Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:00 pm

Funny this question should come up, because their has been a lot of complaints about a proposed rapid transit line from downtown Vancouver to YVR. Now, without debating the cost pf the project or the proposed route of the line - I think rapid transit connection to major airports are a good thing. Some idiot wrote a letter to the paper saying that rapid transit links are not necessary at anytime for any air passenger.

I replied to the paper - the letter wasn't published, but I have included it below and you'll know where I stand on this particular issue.

Dear Editor,

In a recent letter, Dave Lawrence suggests that Olympic officials and athletes will not use the proposed RAV line linking downtown Vancouver with the airport, opting instead to take a bus or taxi. He’s probably right, but to further say that the RAV line is not needed for any air passenger at any time is ignorant and presumptuous. I think that Lawrence needs to get out and see what types of rapid transit options are available in other parts of the world. Last year, when visiting Washington DC, I found taking the subway from Reagan National Airport to my B&B very convenient. I have used rapid transit to and from the airport in Hong Kong and Seoul, and ten years ago our family took London’s underground from Heathrow Airport, while toting 11 pieces of baggage. San Francisco’s BART has recently added an extension to its airport. Sydney, Australia has a rapid transit line to its airport. Vancouver’s RAV line isn’t a new idea and it won’t replace the taxi, but it will provide a reasonable and convenient transportation option for the 15 million people that pass through YVR each year, the 26,000 people who work at the airport, and the thousands of people who commute each day between Richmond and Vancouver.

luv2fly

Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:15 pm

Cleveland does have service from the airport to downtown via the rail
You can cut the irony with a knife

STT757

Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:39 pm

Newark Airport's "Air Train" is actually an extension of the airport Monorail to a brand new airport rail station on Amtrak's North East corridor across rt 1 from EWR.

The Newark Airport "Airtrain" serves the three terminals, 4 parking lots, and the rail link station with Amtrak and NJ Transit.

EWR Airtrain is very conveinent and enters the terminals themselves, once you step off the airtrain you go down an escalator and your at the security screening points.

North East Corridor Rail link station..

Amtrak Regional on the East bound platform and NJ Transit Arrow III Commuter train on the West bound platform.

North East corridor tracks at EWR rail link station looking West/South..

Amtrak Regional @ Newark Airport rail link station..

NJ Transit ALP44 Electric pulling NJ Transit Commuter train through Newark Airport rail link station..

Newark Airtrain entering Amtrak/NJ Transit Rail link station, viewed from Amtrak/NJ Transit platforms.

To Airtrain for trip to terminals..

Airtrain concourse above rail link station, transfer from Amtrak/NJ Transit to Air Train.

Between the Rail link station and the Central Terminal area there is one stop at the P-4 Parking garage, also hotel courtesy bus pick up. CO's Terminal C is in the back ground..

Newark Airport Airtrain traveling from CO's Terminal C-Terminal B.

Heading towards Terminal B

Between Terminals A & B..

hartsfieldboy

Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:41 pm

STT757- Accroding to several Airport Engineering books I've read, both DCA and ATL each have 10% of total passengers that use transit to and from the airport. Of course, maybe the article you read was more recent. Either way, both have the highest rates in the US. Both also happen to be the most conveient connections as well. ATL's station is right inside the terminal and DCA's is less than 100 meters from the terminal via moving sidewalk and both have one-seat rides from downtown.

STT757

Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:46 pm

I read 30% for DCA, I'll try and go back and find a link to confirm that.

I've used the DCA Metro Rail and it's how it should be, unfortunately bringing rail right up to the terminals is hard and expensive that's why there are "Air trains" built to connect the Terminals with rail like EWR and JFK.

There's also some great plans for building a new station at Ohare and linking it to Metra Commuter rail and the proposed Mid-West High speed rail network.

tekelberry

Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:59 pm

The MCTS (Milwaukee Country Transit System - buses only) services MKE via route 80 every 15-30 minutes (limited service during weekends).

The Washington DC metro is great for DCA. It connects right to the terminal.

[Edited 2003-07-22 06:00:18]

Mexicana757

Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:00 pm

Both ORD and MDW have train service. And ORD has its own train system, Airport Transit System (ATS), which operates between the terminals, long-term parking lot, and Metra train station.

Petrouchka

Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:26 pm

SMF and SAN don't have anything like AirTrain. With SMF it's not needed (out in the farmlands outside of town, easy access, public transit busses serve the airport), with SAN there's no room. Hopefully, someday San Diego will get a new (another?) airport and run the Red Trolley line out to it.

I seem to recall MSP having a subway line from the terminals to the rental car lot!!  Big thumbs up

FLAIRPORT

Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:36 pm

ATL has very good MARTA ridership to the airport... easy to use too.

will the JFK airtrain have good spotting views?

STT757

Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:41 pm

Not as good as EWR's , the JFK Airtrain right of way runs in front of the Terminals (except T-4 which it actually enters).

EWR's Air Train runs between the Terminals and the concourse/gate areas providing excellent views.

RayChuang

Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:45 pm

SJC has a free shuttle bus service that connects to one of stations of the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) light rail line on one end and the Santa Clara, CA Caltrain commuter rail station on the other end.  Smile

ctbarnes

Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:01 pm

In addition to the ones mentioned here in the states, others I know of are:

PDX- Tri-Met's Max light rail runs to downtown

BOS-I think someone mentioned that one, but you still have to take a shuttle bus to the terminal.

BWI-Amtrak station on the main Washington-Philadelphia-New York Line.

I'm curious why no one has thought to link LGA up either with Airtrain or with the subway. Makes no sense...

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

masseybrown

Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:40 pm

BWI has "light rail," i.e. street cars, directly from the terminal building into Baltimore and is *almost* on the AMTRAK mainline for Washington, Philadelphia, etc. service. I say almost, because the rr station is a very annoying and infrequent, although free bus ride away. Once at the station, however, the MARC trains, running only Monday-Friday are a real bargain and quite comfortable ride to Washington.

ScarletHarlot

Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:44 pm

As Elwood64151 says, there are plans to build a link of some kind with SEA, but there is so much infighting over what kind of link to build that I am not sure it will happen any time soon. SoundTransit's light rail system was supposed to go to the airport, but it's so far over budget that they've had to cut the line down in size, and SEA was on the end of the line so off it went.

Curiously, the only subway in Seattle is located at SEA, and links the main terminal with the north and south satellite terminals.
But that was when I ruled the world

don

Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:53 pm

The Direct Metro / Rail Links to Airports that I have used / Seen

SIN / KUL / BKK (station linked by bridge) / HKG / NRT / HND / ITM / KIX

LGW / LHR / FRA

SailorOrion

Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:07 pm

FRA has the S-Bahn (subway-like suburban train), it has a station for regional trains with connections to virtually everywhere in a 200km radius, plus it has a connection to the European high-speed train system.

in MUC, there are 2 S-Bahn lines, each going every 20 minutes, a third one going to be completed by around 2010, along with a station for regional trains. Plus the plans for the Maglev are up, opening should be around 2009, which makes Munich Central Station (one of the largest there is, with 36 tracks) Munich's "3rd Terminal", with check-in aeras, ticket counters and everything. People like me with a monthly ticket (for 56 EUR. Yuck) are supposed to get unlimited rides for a small monthly surplus. Sounds good.

SailorOrion

swissgabe

Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:17 pm

Zurich
Copenhagen
Kuala Lumpur KLIA (Aerotrain and KLIA Ekspres)
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

hoons90

Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:36 pm

Seoul Kimpo has Seoul subway line 5, connects to the city centre.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

ScottB

Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:54 pm

To add a note to the transit situation at BOS, within the next couple of years (depending on the delivery schedule for the buses), the newest "transit line" (which is really a bus) will open a segment from South Station in the financial district, underground (and underwater) through the South Boston waterfront, above ground near the new convention center, and to the airport terminals (directly) via the Ted Williams Tunnel. The limiting factor will be the dual mode buses which can run on electric power through the transit tunnel and switch to diesel/CNG for the ride through the I-90 tunnel to Logan. The map looks like this:

I'd also add that the dingy old Airport subway station is being replaced by a spiffy new station now under construction; however, Logan passengers using mass transit will still be relegated to the cheesy buses for the ride to the terminals.

trickijedi

Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:05 pm

Both ORD and MDW are connected to the city and downtown via the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) or more commonly referred to as the "EL". In fact, one can pay nothing more thatn $1.50 to ride from one airport to the other. The system is also simple to use (trains are color coded) and is practically made for tourists. Keep in mind that prior to about 10 years ago, MDW was not served by the CTA.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!