La Carlota
Topic Author

Anybody Been Thru KEF On Transit?

Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:44 pm

Hi all:
I'm flying next week BWI-KEF-BCN, and back a few days later FRA-KEF-BOS.
Since I have like a 9-hour transit period there during my onward travel, I was planning maybe to go and visit Reykjavík, and also hang around a little at the airport.
Can anybody help me about KEF? How's transit area there? Also... Is it worth trying to go to the city? What other suggestions can you give me?
Any help is much appreciated.
Tango Tango Fox

usflt1778

RE: Anybody Been Thru KEF On Transit?

Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:22 pm

The airport is small but quite nice, however outside of the 2 Icelandair flight banks (e.g, 0630-0730 and 1630-1830) it is virtually deserted. I believe the shops may even be closed most of the day.

It is possible to take the bus into Reykjavik (about 40 minutes each way, if I recall). Interesting drive and a very nice little city. Or, you can go to the Blue Lagoon for a swim in the mineral-rich water. A very popular destination and only 10 mins or so from the airport. You can either rent a car or take the bus service, but check the schedules first since they are limited. Check out www.bluelagoon.is for details.

asgeirs

Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:37 pm

Hi there!

Look at this page for information on the Flybus that operates between Keflavik International Airport and Hotel Loftleidir in Reykjavik. From there you can take bus number 7 downtown (Lækjartorg). The bus goes in both directions from Hotel Loftleidir so remember to ask the driver if he is going downtown or in the other direction.

It costs 1.000 IKR to go on the Flybus each way and 220 IKR on the bus.

Let me know if you need more information
Reykjavik Aviation Photography - Just bring the aircraft to us and we'll photograph them! :-)

Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:38 pm

Well my stay was more than a transit. I did 2 12 month tours for the USAF at Keflavik. I flew a Hawaiian DC-8 from Philadelphia in Nov 1988 and left in November 1989 aboard the same aircraft (N8969U) back to Philadelphia
Then in September 1994 I went back to Keflavik for another 12 month tour this time departing from Balitmore on American Trans Air 757 (N750AT) and departed Keflavik in September 1995 aboard American Trans Air 757 (N757AT).

These flights were Military charter flights. MAC/AMC contract services.
The Philadelphia Operation was moved to Baltimore in 1998.

Both of the ATA 757s now fly for Delta. I have no idea what Hawaiian did with their DC-8s, if anyone knows, please tell me.

La Carlota
Topic Author

Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:42 pm

Asgeirs:
Thanks a lot for your tips.
I was even considering renting a car to got a bit far beyond the city.
How does it look to you?
Tango Tango Fox

asgeirs

Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:06 am

There are at least two car rentals with locations af KEF. Take a look at:

http://www.hertz.is
http://www.avis.is/index.cfm

If you have 9 hours to spare, you should be able to go around a bit. Did you have certain any places in mind?
Reykjavik Aviation Photography - Just bring the aircraft to us and we'll photograph them! :-)