BR715-A1-30
Topic Author

717 Wings Painted...Some Not

Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:43 am

Hello everyone, After looking at this photo
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon

, I have noticed that the wing is completely painted in a gray color. The operator of the aircraft was TWA. I have also noticed that AirTran's 717s have their wings painted. But the other day I was on Tail No. 779 (For those of you who don't know, that would be N935AT (which is an ex-twa aircraft), and the wing was not completely painted. It looked like this
View Large View Medium

Photo © Joe Corrigan

Can someone explain the mix. Some are like one, and some are like the other.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ben Wang

here is another pic of a TWA plane w/o the wings painted.

[Edited 2003-07-25 01:45:56]
Puhdiddle

asqx

RE: 717 Wings Painted...Some Not

Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:18 am

DC-9s were the same way, with some operators having all painted wings, with others leaving parts bare metal. I'm not sure there's much of a reason for it, other than operator preference and perhaps maybe corrosion prevention or ease of cleaning.

I'd have to dig through all my old pictures from St. Louis, but I think TWA went to the all painted wing after the first few planes were delivered. Interestingly enough, N401TW was delivered with the black ice detection stripes painted on each wing. However, none of the others were, since it was deemed unnecessary since the 717 flights were mostly short enough to not collect so much ice that it wouldn't melt off while on the ground between flights.

And to answer your question from the other day, in case you haven't already, N935AT is formerly N402TW.

BR715-A1-30
Topic Author

RE: 717 Wings Painted...Some Not

Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:28 am

Thanks ASQX, I guess it was just on the first few ships that they had the half painted wings.
Puhdiddle