MarcoPolo747

HOW Is Qantas Cabin Service

Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:52 pm

I've never flown QF and I would like to know if their service is comparable to top airlines such as SIA and Cathay.

Cathay Pacific

RE: HOW Is Qantas Cabin Service

Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:59 pm

QF's service is more relax compare to airlines such as CX, SQ or MH.
cathay pacific, now you're really flying

StarG

Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:04 pm

Flew QF in J class on Sep. 11, 2001 SIN-HKG then back HKG-SIN-CGK a few days later. Flight attendants are very friendly and attentive, comparable to CX/SQ. Seat comfort is good, comparable to SQ/CX business class at that time. Food was slightly worse than SQ/CX, but still okay. Inflight entertainment (then) was a dissapointment though.

StarG

ted747

Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:05 pm

In my opinion it really depends on different circumstances. I have flown SIA in Y and both CX and QF in business class.

I have had good service on QF between SYD - LAX in J and vice versa but very ordinary service on QF HKG - SYD again in J - just depends on crew and also time of the day the flight is operating.

But some of the best service I have had was SYD - SIN - CDG all in economy with SIA. Ok the seat is not as comfy and not as spacious but the cabin staff were excellent. The night leg from SIN - CDG was on an Celstar with windown then aisle seat which was so much more comfy with my wife then the 747 config from SYD to SIN

QF now has PTV in most of there 747-4 aircraft which also helps pass the time.

Anyways hope you enjoy the service.

BD1959

Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:07 pm

Hi,

Have flown 6 sectors with them in the last month: 2x MEL-SYD return, 1x SYD-MNL return (funnily enough all various 767s).

Their Cabin Service is patchy - depends on the crew. They tend to mix crews internationally (the SYD-MNL legs had both Australian and Philippine based crew members) which can also lead to differing experiences.

Domestic: they tend to spend most of their time throwing around those horrible boxes.

BD1959

Mr.BA

Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:19 am

Flew Qantas numerous times and I think their service is pretty okay to the good standard but I have to say SIA, MAS or CX are much better than them.
Boeing747 万岁!

UA777lover

Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:15 am

Have only flown Qantas once, and that was LAX-SYD-LAX and I was in economy. The flight to SYD was ok. They loaded us with alcohol so we'd sleep, and after the meal service, they turned out ALL the lights they could (including the seatbelt/no smoking signs) and hoped we would all go to sleep. The flight back was Ok. The food is nothing to write home about, but the wine selection is very good. Much better than United's domestic or International service.

strickerje

Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:17 am

turned out ALL the lights they could (including the seatbelt/no smoking signs)

So, did that mean you could smoke?  Big grin

By the way (to anyone who knows), do they have PTV's in economy on all 747-400's now?

DoorsToManual

Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:27 am

Their Cabin Service is patchy - depends on the crew

I think this defines my experiences with most airlines, but especially Qantas.

On the bright side, my most recent flight (SYD-BNE, 767 Int'l service - was going to HKG) was really good - I dunno, maybe the crew got a recent pay rise or something, but they were an absolute delight. If they were like this on every flight, I'd rank Qantas up there with BA (oooh, what a privilege  Big grin )

I won't recount my other experiences though... Big grin

Na, you should be fine. Put it this way, as far as safety goes, you can't treat them too harshly...

Skymonster

Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:34 am

Well, you know what Qantas stands for...?

"Quick and Nasty, Typical Australian Service"  Big grin

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

DoorsToManual

Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:39 am

Andy, wait till the Aussies wake up...their gonna have you for brekkie!  Big thumbs up

Ryanair!!!

Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:35 pm

While I have heard that they are improving, all my 6 flights with them were consistently bad. Then again, it was all before 2000. Therefore, in my opinion, they are not even worth comparing with SQ or MH. Then again, I have had bad service on SQ as well... so it depends on yur luck.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

pilot727aa

Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:53 pm

I flew Qantas last summer syd-bne-glt, glt-bne-cns, cns-syd, and I thought their service was comparable to the best American airliner service. On flights just an hour long or less they still gave you something to eat and drink. The crew was friendly and planes were nice. All of my observations are from an economy standpoint. Anyone agree?

qantas747

Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:59 pm

Hmmm, I have flown QF on 6 sectors recently, CBR-ADL-PER and PER-SYD-CBR And CBR-SYD Return, from my expeiences the cabin crew have been very friendly,preofessional and do what they can for their passengers. I had the best flight of my life on the short SYD-CBR sector recently, where it was a little dash-8, with the one flight attendant. what amazed me about this guy, was that he greeted every single person on the plane by their names, Like Mr ..... and also, we got some good sandwiches and stuff, and we even got minties as well, and also the complimentary drinks. Personally on such a short sector like that, you don't need much, but the service was excellent and will make me want to fly QF again. Although I have only flown QF domestically and JAL Internationally, I would have to say the service standards were excellent on most flights (only one bad experience) but I regard that airline highly and from what I have heard from friends, they are equal with SQ and CX if not better.

Not to mention their safety record, One of a kind  Smile

Oh and as for Andy's comment- All I will say is, mate, you come from the UK, you haven't seen the sun for ages, wait till you come to a beautiful country like this, Oh and guess what...... we beat you in soccer, rugby, cricket, everything, just goes to prove Austrailia is better than you pommies.. if you think QANTAS is Quick and nasty typical aussie service, then your home airlines will be twice as worse......

[Edited 2003-07-26 09:04:59]

chrisrad

Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:00 pm

Most people I know in Australia tend to aviod Qantas like the plague, domestically of course you are limited to 2 main airlines, but internationally I would certainly pick any Asian airline, because unfortunately service on them always seems on a higher degree than Qantas
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

miami1

Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:27 pm

Why is everyone so harsh on Qantas? It is investing millions into it's product. And hey. It must being doing something right to make a record profit last year. How many other large airlines have done the same?

Qantas management seem very conservative in their approach to product and destinations which I think is to their detriment. I don't think they can spell the word INNOVATIVE. But it is a very cut throat business though. They threaten us constantly now with lower cost Australian Airlines and JetConnect operations. Hell they don't seem to care much for employee morale but even that seems to be changing.

Qantas still serves food/snacks on all sectors (Including a 17 minute Sydney-Newcastle flight on a 717!). Unlike many other full service conterparts throughout the world. And it isn't fair to say the boxes are vile. They aren't on many flights now (since April) and the snack sandwiches are slowly getting better (back in 2001 the sandwiches were brilliant!!!) and at snack times we serve cake etc. Just because it is presented in a box does not mean it is horrible!

Cabin crew may be inconsistent but over the last year many programs have been developed to combat this. Expect to notice a change for the better over the next year. It takes time to change a culture such as attitude. It will get better I am sure.

The FREE inflight entertainment on domestic is the best in the world (my opinion) and the PTV system on the 747-400 (ALL of them!) and now the 747-300 is just brilliant! Infact the PTV system just recently won "Best in the World".

Fair enough to say service prior to last year was less than desirable but with all these changes the standards have been raised. Do yourselves a favour and visted the recently updated 'Product Info' on the QF site. You may be surprised.

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/travelClasses/index

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/inTheAir/index

rupertvander82

Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:28 pm

The Qantas attendants freaked me out on my first flight I had with them... flew to SIN from DPS.

They were so horrid.... I couldn't believe I was on such a dreadful flight.

But to be fair, that was my only flight with them, and judging from the posts here for the past few months, I think they have vastly improved.

TNboy

Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:30 pm

Qantas service in the past 18 months has improved dramatically. When Ansett folded, it went from around a 50% market share domestically to around 85% literally overnight, and had some real problems coping, but now it has got right on its game. And if "most people I know in Australia tend to avoid Qantas", they still get a 70% market share from people who obviously know better.
For competitive fares, you get a meal (meat and salad rolls or pasta etc) at meal times even on flights of one hour, and reasonable snacks at other times. On longer transcontinental flights there is generally a choice of meals including hot meals, plus full bar service; reasonable seat pitch and friendly service (and yes, individual crews can make a big difference). Internationally, they are relaxed and friendly. There isn't the deferential approach of some of the Asian airlines, but rather a casual "matey" apoproach, but very professional in my opinion. Food is good, wines and beer choice is great. Inflight entertainment consistently wins awards, and especially internationally, is excellent. Even in longhaul international economy, you now get neat mini amenity packs and nice snack packs for munching during overnight movies.
Downsides? Some crews are less helpful than others, and most flights are around 85% full. But they seem to be really serious about making you feel comfortable these days.
Cheers
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

Cathay Pacific

Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:30 pm

The softwares are there (eg seat comfort, IFE, catering etc) but IMO the cabin crew still need a lot of polish (at least from my recent experiences from int'l F: SYD-HKG to domestic Y SYD-ADL, SYD-MEL, MEL-ADL).

Yeh, those glossed up PR articles and photos may look great but what matters the most will be the actual experience.

Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:36 pm

I flew cx, sq and qf also. I never flew an airline that had that cool cabin-attendents. No doubt: real australians. They call you a "mate", are very very friendly. When i wanted to make a photo out of one of the windows, a flight-attendent asked me to hold on for a second, cleaned window for me, waited till i took the pic and offered a coke.
I never had any problems with QF, though lots of people say, QF -staff is arrogant. But that is what they say about LH, too.
So: very safe airline and very good crew.
You won't be disappointed, i am sure!

Beno

Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:53 pm

In the past 12 months QF have spent more on product/services than any other airline in the world. (including CX,SIA)

These are some of the improvements:

*All 30 744s now have new IFE/Telephones and interiors in all classes, the 6 B743s upgrade is now underway. New BIZ seat comes online in Sept on all 3 class 744s and intl A330s.

*All 737-800 aircraft now have the QF millennium biz seats and "slimlines" in economy.

*All 737-300/400 aircraft are in the middle of a refurb which includes new "slimline" seats in economy aswell as new panels/overhead bins.

*Improved meals acrross both the Intl and Domestic markets.

*All staff that deal with customers are being re trained. "Secrcet Shoppers" are being introduced to test service levels accross both Intl and Dom network.

*From Sept a major upgrade of Intl Firs/Biz class will comence including new menus/amenities. New cabin lighting and buffet tables will be fitted to 747 aircraft.

*Retirement of some older 737/767 as well as the 146 regional jets from the fleet.

So as you can see QF are investing alot of money now and in the future to improve service and product.

Cathay Pacific

Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:05 pm

But don't forget some airlines already had these features years ago, what QF is doing now is just catching up.

Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:09 pm

That's right, CX, but QF is on a very very good way.
The only negative think i can say about QF is, that they don't make seat-reservation in advance in eco.
Planes are 100% ok, crew is ok, too.
Also CX is not bad, but sorry, the coolest (and very professional) flight-attendents are from QF!

chrisrad

Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:10 pm

And if "most people I know in Australia tend to avoid Qantas", they still get a 70% market share from people who obviously know better.
When you don't have much choice of what to fly other than Qantas or Virgin Blue, it's a bit hard to fly with other airlines....... in any case my comment was aimed at International travel.
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

Cathay Pacific

Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:33 pm

haha...yeh...have to admit, some f/a in QF are quite cute! (talking from my MEL-SYD last Sat...wow.. Love )

Anyway, I certainly hope that QF can be as good as CX, SQ or MH!

Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:48 am

@ Chrisrad:
I think it's very hard for the image of an airline thar (nearly) had monopoly within a country to "fight" against another airline that seems to be much more modern and "fresh" like Virgin Blue.
It's almost the same everywhere. But the question is: what sort of routes are flown from the "fresh" airlines. Mostly the routes you can earn money with. How many routes from Virgin Blue, how many routes from QANTAS?
QANTAS australian flights are much more comfortable than Virgin Blue Flights.
Ok, Virgin Blue is much cheaper, but it's much more uncomfortable.
So let Virgin Blue do all the network do, QANTAS is doing, and then we can compare both airlines. But it's not fair to compare the raisin-routes from Virgin with the whole QF-Network.

Marara

Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:48 am

QF is indeed working hard to combat the stuffy image and bad service tag it had rightfully gained in the late 90's.

But as they say, the first step is to admit you have a problem. Dixon has done this and has implemented a plan to rectify the problem. A search of recent trip reports will show that service is improving as are the amenities that QF are investing big $$s in (which wouldnt be necessary if gradual improvements had been made under strong). Customer facing staff are being trained in a new service style - can't wait to see the effects down at SYD check-in (me suspects a bit of dragon taming is in order  Big grin) By the looks of it, its only going to get better as AVOD, SMS & the Skybed are released in the coming year.

I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. Jerome K Jerome

Sun Jul 27, 2003 2:50 am

So i can't say something bad against QF - but they should know the habit of their passengers. Little tip to QF: germans prefer drinking sparkling water. 2 hours after departure from FRA to SIN the sparkling water was empty  Wink/being sarcastic

bmi

Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:17 am

QF have very good service on long haul flights, but their domestic and short international serivce needs work. I flew MAN-LHR-BKK-SIN-PER-SYD-CNS-BNE-SIN-LHR-MAN with them, Finnair and BA in May and was only really impressed with QF on the SYD-CNS and SIN-LHR legs of my journey. I flew with EK two weeks after my return to DXB from BHX and I have to say they are so much better but hey!

Mark

senliture

Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:36 am

I flew QF a few times in the past 2 years,
International sector:
HKG-MEL, then 3 months later MEL-HKG-MEL
Domestic sector:
CBR-SYD-MEL
MEL-SYD
MEL-BNE

I would say my choice for the international flight would definitely go for CX. CX is far better than QF, at least CX has PTV on every single seat. I'm not sure about QF's 744, but they don't have PTV on QF's 767, even for the international routes. The food and drinks are ok, but I had (not me myself, but the passenger which sit behind me) a very bad experience on the crew attitude. That was the HKG->HKG flight, on a QF 767, and it was the dinner time. I remember that we got a choice of fish or chicken, and most of the passengers chose the chicken. I was at the back of the aircraft, and the passenger behind me wanted to have the chicken. However the crew said in an annoyed voice, saying "sorry, no more chicken, all we have is fish. If you don't want it, that's it." Then I heard a sound that the tray was dropped heavily to the "table" (or tray, whatever you call it). The passenger was moaning, saying that "I will never ever choose QANTAS anymore". Oh well.
The entertainment is really really not enough, boring movies or TV series, especially compare with CX, SQ and MH.

But for the domestic sectors, as what QANTAS747 said, I really enjoyed the CBR->SYD leg. It was the small Dash-8 as well, one flight attendance, a pretty blondy girl  Big thumbs up . It is reasonable to have different expectation for a 1 hour flight and a 9 hours flight. However the CBR->SYD services was excellent. It was during the lunch time so we get sandwiches rather than the simple snack box. It was the best sandwiches that I've ever had before, the sandwich bread was soft, and sauce inside are nice and the things are fresh. Then we had a small pack of apple juice, a small kit-kat and a choice of coffee or tea. Just after the cleaning up we were served with the mints. I really enjoyed that 1 hour flight (um...actually about 45 minutes only). I don't think you would say "why there are no entertainment at all!?!?"

The Cityflyer routes (SYD-MEL, MEL-BNE) are alright, the snack boxes are really snacks, can't fed you up. The inflight entertainment is ok, can't expect much for the 1 or 2 hours flight right?

You can find that my domestic flights are always one way with QF (I live in Melbourne), the reason why is becuase I chose DJ on the other way, cheaper!

My final comments, QF have to improve their international services, their competitors are much much better than QF. Domestic? Price is more important, I don't mind paying A$5 to Hungry Jacks in return for a A$10 cheaper air-ticket. Last thing, you can credit your CX flights to your QFFFP Big grin

Senliture

SR 103

Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:13 am

I have flown QANTAS once and that was about 3 hours after stepping off a Cathay Pacific flight. While I had no major complaints with QF, I found the entertainment to lag behind. Sure the crew are not as friendly as CX or SQ, but it is still better than most airlines out there. They were professional, courteous and seemed to genuinely care about the passengers. I may still take CX or SQ over QF, but I would definitely not hesitate to fly them if I needed too.

SR 103

Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:21 am

There are new seats on several 747-400 - they have pvt's.
Others will be changed-over within the next months.
So no panic.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jason Milligan

Now let's compare business-class! Any more airlines with just 5 seats in a row in 767-300 business-class? QF has 1-2-2 configuration.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jason Milligan

overseasBHX

Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:39 am

I find all this fad about PTV and gourmet cuisine and 'on-board service' a bit overrated. But I guess it is all a matter of personal preference. As far as QF is concerned, I've flown with them only once LHR-SIN-BNE-SYD-PER-SIN-LHR, back in 2001, and I found them very acceptable.

From some of the reports you read here,one would guess it was probably only good luck, but an all the segments of our journey I found the cabin crew extremely friendly, attentive, reliable, professional, reassuring and yet relaxed and approachable, the young and the not-so-young, on international and domestic sectors. Their safety record is admirable, as has been already pointed out, and well, that's basically what matters.

It is true, though, that Y class on their B747-400's feel a bit crammed, more so than the B767-300's and -200's that we flew; and as far as the food is concerned, I don't even remember it, so I guess that says it all, but they fed us. And took us there and back safely and very much on time. I'd fly with them again any day. You'll be OK.
O

carnoc

Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:58 pm

As a frequent flyer in Asia-Pacific region (especially on domestic routes in Australia), I found that current Qantas' standard of services is no where close to the services offered by Ansett while they were around a few years ago.

On the other hand, I personally prefer to fly with an Asian carrier other than Qantas for international travel. The only reason I fly with Qantas domestically is that I could at least get some frequent flyer points...

Regards.

BD1959

Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:13 am

Miami1:

Why is everyone so harsh on Qantas? It is investing millions into it's product. And hey. It must being doing something right to make a record profit last year.

Easy: QANTAS are very good at a number of things: commonality of type: means they can switch international and domestic equipment very quickly in answer to fluctuating demand. They also charge a premium fare for a sub-premium product resulting in high profits.

And it isn't fair to say the boxes are vile. They aren't on many flights now (since April) and the snack sandwiches are slowly getting better (back in 2001 the sandwiches were brilliant!!!) and at snack times we serve cake etc. Just because it is presented in a box does not mean it is horrible!

Agreed, but a sandwich would be most welcome. 3/4 times I opened the box I was greeted with an apple which was so small you'd choke on it if you hit turbulance at the wrong moment and a tacky piece of jamacan spice cake (incidentally I watched all passengers around me and out of the three cases only 1 passenger actually ate the cake. )

The FREE inflight entertainment on domestic is the best in the world (my opinion) and the PTV system on the 747-400 (ALL of them!) and now the 747-300 is just brilliant!

Your having a lend right? Why do QANTAS persist to playing the same programme throughout the month on both directions of a domestic sector? Travel up, watch the show, travel down, watch the SAME show. And what's the big deal about it being free? - surely all that advertising is paying for it!! Fine, the 747 PTVs are winning awards - outside of the Kangaroo and trans Pacific routes, the chances of flying 747s out of Melbourne (and yes, I hate transferring via Sydney) are getting scarcer. The entertainment systems on the 767s is abysmal.

Why are management having to spend so much money retraining their staff to be nice?? And why should I have to pay top-dollar now to wait for the benefits of these programmes and the promised upgrades "in the near future"? - So that QANTAS can continue to make massive profits at the expense of its passengers.

BD1959

rongotai

Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:29 am

I'm a frequent flyer within Australasia and to and from Europe, and so can scarcely avoid being QANTAS FF Gold. Food doesn't bother me - except on SIN or BKK-LHR I refuse all food on board and drink only mineral water. That's how I don't get jetlag. QF are OK, but at present I select BA for OZ-UK (a) for the sleeper seats in business and (b) for the entertainment system. I regard QF as solid, competent and unmemorable. I buy them for price Trans Tasman, domestically in NZ or Trans Pacific, and for route system coverage and onward connections within Oz.

miami1

Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:23 am

BD1959 -
You make some vaild points but the fact is QF IS getting better. Now you are complaining that it isn't happening overnight. That's a bit dramatic. Every product QF offers is currently being upgraded. The A333s to replace the 763s are to have PTVs. Solves your issue there. Besides the 763 offer 8 odd video programs in J and movie marathon in Y. That is not abysmal. It just isn't up to par with some competitors.

If the apple you get is too small ask for a second one. I have never worked alongside anyone who would not get you another. Also what is wrong with some cake and I hot drink mid-morning? Have you never had cake and coffee for morning tea? Catering does need to be improved and has been since 2002. You will never please everyone when catering for 10 000 people.

The availabilty of heavily discounted fares is MORE than EVER. Fact. Also isn't the company about to record a loss for the quarter?

What was the point of bagging out QF for retraining staff? Would you rather QF ignored the problem?

The glass is always half empty for some people and half full for others, isn't it?

BD1959

Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:48 am

Hi Miami1,

The fact is the original post asked how IS the QANTAS Cabin Service, not how will it be in 18 months time.

I was not complaining about the slowness of the changes, I was complaining I currently pay top-dollar for a service which is not (by your own admission) up with the best.

Simply, the quality of the domestic product is poor - the International product is at best patchy. Regardless of current quarterly performance, QANTAS is oncourse to post a full year net profit of $345million. That's great for the shareholders and for management's bonuses - it has come at the expense of service to those paying the fares.

No, I would not rather QANTAS management ignore service issues - that's why I raise the subject! The issue here is that they've either hired the wrong people in the first place or they've allowed good staff to lapse into poor customer service practices - how many others above have said that the Customer Service is inconsistent?

The bottom line is that QANTAS Cabin Service is patchy.

BD1959

Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:03 pm

Guys,

I have been scathing about QF's service levels before and was shocked at the deterioration of service levels post the AN collapse.

But I suggest those of you who are quick to kick QF take a look at the latest trip reports, surveys and reveiws and see that the ole' white rat is starting to rank up with the best in some or all of these areas.

You all have to remember that up until the mid 90's QF was a governement owned organisation that was rarely accountable for anything - it takes time and expertise to turn that handout mentality to one that is customer focused.

mb

TWAMD-80

Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:15 pm

I was on quite a few Qantas flights this summer and I thought that they overall, had good service. The service on the domestic flights was about average with most other airlines. The service on all of the international flights that I was on was excellent.

TW
Two A-4's, left ten o'clock level continue left turn!

BD1959

Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:27 pm

mx5_boy:

I was basing my responses on the 6 sectors I have flown in the last month.

BD1959

Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:51 pm

bd1959,

It will be interesting to see how the attitudes of the workforce change as Mr Dixon prepares his staff for job cuts, cuts in pay and the outsourcing of non-core parts of QF.

Low morale among the rank and file is not going to equate to better service.

If he takes the right approach and is seen to slim the management ranks he might get away with minimal industrial problems - but it hasn't appeared to be the case thus far.

Turbulent times ahead for those in the aussie industry.

mb

BD1959

Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:14 pm

mx5_boy:

If QF lose the Fed Govt contracts then those cuts might be even bigger than already being planned. I suppose we can look forward to seeing the odd shedding of clothes (a al SQ) on Citiflyer flights. Would certainly be an improvement on THAT "Kath & Kim" episode they're playing ad inifinitum.

BD1959

QANTASpower

Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:40 pm

Bd1959 - Can I make a suggestion. Fly another airline mate.

na

Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:49 pm

As with many airlines, service can be good or bad depending where, when and what you fly - on the same airline.
Earlier this year I had several domestic flights with QF and found the service both in the air as on the ground in general to be as good as QF or SIA, food slightly less so but still on the good side. Easy going, typically Australian. I like Qantas.

BD1959

Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:34 am

Hi QANTASPower,

You know as well as I do that there are many reasons why people choose to fly an airline - sometimes it is out of our control, sometimes it comes down to schedules, convenience or just plain economics. Actually I'm a QF Frequent Flyer - however I do heed your advice and currently try to avoid flying QF whenever I can.

Would QANTAS really prefer their FF to avoid them - or should they try to fix up problems with their service?

BD1959

ElPelon

Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:49 am

I flew Qantas last March, LAX-SYD-LAX I have to say that the service was excellent for me. The seats are comfortable, you have a personal TV in every seat in economy class, with 6 movies, some programs, games, and music to choose. The food was OK. And I have to mention that after dinner they gave us a magnum ice cream, wich is really unusual in an airline. The stuff is very friendly too.
ElPelon

miami1

Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:03 am

BD1959-
I agree with most of your comments. But I would not brand it domestic services as poor. I think it is just a case of a few (more than a few) bad apples spoiling it for everyone else. Please review some comments about QF's service on SkyTrax and the like. There's proof it is getting better. I am not trying to make excuses but try to look for the positive. Service culture cannot change overnight.

Are they still screening "Kath and Kim"? I haven't seen it in a while... (That same episode was getting a bit tired!)

QANTASPower-
If this gentleman flew another airline then QF would be losing a customer. I think QF should focus on keeping them and keeping them happy, don't you?

BD1959

Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:28 am

Hi Miami1,

I'm afraid so: I flew MEL-SYD on 12 Jul, they screened the same programme on the return flight on 13 Jul. I had flown MEL-SYD on 14 Jun returning on 28 Jun, again the same programme was shown on both flights.

The July programme was Kath & Kim - which I'm afraid I didn't find funny on the first sector! Still, hats off to QANTAS marketing - at least bored customers get to read the inflight mag!!

BD1959

AJ

Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:36 am

That's a shame BD1959. As a Qantas employee I won't blow sunshine, however I really do believe the service is on the improve. The IFE on domestic short sectors occasionally has gems, like the A330 and VH-VXP documentries, on longer sectors movies are shown which vary from outbound to inbound. Qantas' competition has changed from good old Ansett to completely different Virgin thus there has been some shift in the focus of our branding.
I very rarely come across employees showing poor performance, and the recent downturn is causing these people to be reported, why get rid of a good employee when there are bad apples out there?
I certainly hope your experiences improve with Qantas, I for one am doing the best I can!