pilot727aa

Anyone Taken Part Of An Airline Internship Program

Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:39 am

I was just wonder if you have could you tell me a little about your experience. Who was it with? What was the best part of it? Did it help with employment at that airline? - Brady

BR715-A1-30

RE: Anyone Taken Part Of An Airline Internship Program

Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:48 am

I would like to for any airline that would grant it. AA, DL, FL, B6, WN.
Puhdiddle

Adam T.

Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:48 am

I would like to know about any experiences as well as I am thinking about doing this in about 3 years (after my Junior year).
Adam  Smile

Adam T.

Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:55 am

Forgot to Add-
Back in April I was doing a project for my Travel/Tourism Class. And part of the project was that we had to interview someone in the career we were planning on going into (or just any career you found interesting). I am planning on being a Marketing Analyst, and my goal is to work for an Airline. So, anyway I did interview a guy at AA, he was very nice and told me he has done some internships, and he still does them (unpaid). I think if you offer to do it unpaid it would not be too hard. Just browse around the different airlines websites and contact the person, even if they are not offering, at least find out what they require!  Smile
Adam

ha763

Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:36 am

To get my degree in Travel Industry Management, I had to do two 400 hour internships. The first was with a hotel and the second was with HA. Luckily, I was able to get a paid internship at HA in the Benefits Department. It paid minimum wage with no benefits, but it was one of only two paid internship positions in the whole company. I did a lot of work updating employee information/payroll deductions and manning the Pass Bureau desk. I'd say the best part was just getting the experience and meeting people. It also helped that I had a paid position in that I could bid for any open positions instead of reapplying. After graduating, I immediately was offered and accepted a job in Consumer Affairs. I ended up working for HA for 3-1/2 years before my position in Safety was cut and I got laid off.

An internship, paid and unpaid, can help you get a job with the airline only if you do an excellent job. Even if you have to reapply, you will have a better chance than many others because your supervisor can give you a good recommendation to the interviewer and hiring department manager.

ERFly

Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:41 am

I did an internship with Continental back in 2001 (Fall to be exact). I enjoyed it immensely. I worked in the Chief Pilots' office in Houston. The only downside is not getting paid, but the perks make up for it.

We were giving simulator training in the B737. It was almost exactly the same as the line guys get, just minus a few activities.

We were given jumpseat privileges, plus at least 1 international jumpseat. We were also given 4 space available passes for use for 6 months after the internship ended.

It was very interesting in my office because I was at the airport, in the middle of everything. I can't describe the feeling of being in there the morning of 9/11.

It can't really help me get a job right now, given the state of the industry. With both CAL and CALEX pilots on the street, they're not going to hire an intern with 500 hours.

I still highly recommend doing one. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Adam T.

Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:19 pm

ErFly,
I have a question for you. When you did that internship with CO, and you said it was unpaid exactly how did you manage to pay for your apartment or hotel stay while in Houston? It sais in your profile that you live in Nashville. I'm just curious, because if I do get an internship with CO, AA ,or Southwest I won't really have too much to worry about as I have family that live in both Houston and Ft. Worth. But just in case I was wondering whether you saved up, or CO payed for it, or your parents payed for it.?
Thanks,
Adam  Smile

ERFly

Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:03 pm

Adam T.,

At the time, I lived in Daytona Beach, FL. I did my program through my school. I got college credit for the internship. They considered it a course. It was worth 6 credits.

Coincendtly, 6 credits is also needed for half-time enrollment and to get fincancial aid. Basically, I took out a loan through the school to support myself in Houston. If you could live with family, it would be quite convenient.

Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:40 pm

I did an internship with American Airlines this year. If you e-mail me through my profile, I'll be more than happy to answer questions.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos