N766UA
Topic Author

Where The Heck Did Air Europe Come From?

Sun Dec 19, 1999 12:40 pm

You guys may look at this and say "when was this guy born! " or something like that but here it goes. Air Europe is fairly new. That I know. I also know they are based in Milan. But, did they exist under a different name before recently? Where'd they get the money for the new 777's and A320's? Are they older than I think? How big's their fleet? Did they have other planes before recently?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays,
N766UA
This Website Censors Me

dstc47

RE: Where The Heck Did Air Europe Come From?

Sun Dec 19, 1999 4:31 pm

Nothing new about them. They represent the surviving Italian arm of the Air Europe operation, which went bust around 1990. The UK parent faced very tough competition from BA. The parent was the UK carrier and there was a Spanish affiliate also.

They also have B767's

F-WWKH

Sun Dec 19, 1999 4:37 pm

The spanish arm is still around but called Air Europa. Air Europe Italy recently introduced a new color scheme (all white style...) so they dont look similar to the Air Europa planes anymore.

avion

Sun Dec 19, 1999 5:58 pm

Air Europe is owned by Swissair. Now you know where they get the money from.

phil330

Sun Dec 19, 1999 11:03 pm

Established in 1988, Air Europe began life as part of the UK-based Airlines of Europe Group (ILG), but became wholly Italian-owned in March 1991 when the group went bust. The airline was initially owned 25% by Alitalia, which is where the majority of fleet funding originated. Today the SAirGroup owns 45% of the airline (as of November 1998).

The airline is the largest charter and leisure carrier in Italy, and operates to medium and long-haul destinations around the world. Air Europe also has exclusive rights to Cuba, and operates a scheduled service to Havana.

7 Boeing 767-300ER aircraft are operated in addition to 2 777-200ER aircraft on order (these may have been delivered though).

Hope this provides some useful information.

Phil
A320/330 pilot.

avion

Mon Dec 20, 1999 4:55 am

I know that their aircraft are owned by swissairs flightlease. Air europe is also a member of the qualiflyer group. Why do they have rights to fly to cuba?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos