CanadaEH
Topic Author

UPS Hub In YVR?

Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:26 am

Since UPS is building a HUGE new building/apron in Vancouver, does anyone know how much the aircraft traffic will increase once it opens? Where will the aircraft fly? Will YVR be a new hub?
EH.

aa61hvy

RE: UPS Hub In YVR?

Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:32 am

UPS has huge operations from many big airports, especially in North America.
Go big or go home

BrowntailWhale

Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:53 am

CanadaEH, do you have any idea of the size of the ramp and sort facilities?

rindt

Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:59 am

Realistically, might see upgrades from B727s to A300s, but that's about it. I think UPS is just building their own facility on the north side, so they don't have to use the cargo apron by Canadian's old cargo ramp. In the years to come, we will see that ugly building being torn down for the domestic terminal to be extended. The north is due to become the cargo operations area, and UPS just so happens to be the first outfit there. Keep in mind, will still be a while before it's open for business, as they need to build a taxiway north of 26R/08L with two high speed exits first...

-Rob

What other people think of you is none of your business!

fly_yhm

Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:40 pm

Well when they opened the HUB at YHM they went from 1 757 per night to 2 757 and 1 727. mind you its been all over latlely.
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

nykaabi

Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:40 pm

... "Built to house more than 400 employees and 100 delivery vehicles, the new facility will bring most of UPS’s Vancouver-area employees together under one roof. The operation will utilize state-of-the-art package scanning technology, and have the capacity to sort 10,000 pieces per hour, three times the sort capacity at the current UPS Vancouver facility. The YVR hub will have four acres of air ramp, and will serve British Columbia and the region with three jets and various feeder aircraft. The local air network will include flights to and from Louisville, Kentucky (the site of UPS’s main international and U.S. air hub), Anchorage, Alaska (UPS’s hub for flights between North America and Asia), and domestic points. The new YVR hub will be UPS Canada’s second largest facility, after Toronto."

CanadaEH
Topic Author

Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:05 pm

Damn Nykaabi, that's informative! Thanks.

Rob: I don't think the domestic terminal is due to be extended that far. The 'A' concourse is (as I'm sure you are aware) being renovated for Westjet to have 5 gates. I don't know the final plans as of yet but word is there will be three double bridges and two ground loading spots. I can't see the domestic terminal getting extended any further than that. I can, however, see the 'B' concourse get a renovation once Westjet moves over to accommodate any further growth or need they may come across in the future.
EH.