rajivvyas

Which Other Ailrine Besides WN Will Fly St. Louis?

Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:06 pm

I think American Airlines decision to slash the number of flights out of St. Louis could be a great opportunity for many smaller carriers. But which other airlines besides WN would take this opportunity?

Also, would St. Louis ever be as busy as it was a year ago without AA?

RE: Which Other Ailrine Besides WN Will Fly St. Louis?

Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:08 pm

Possible Choice: Air Tran.

I  Love BOI

jetdeltamsy

Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:12 pm

stl is a tough market. with wn in there, it will be tough for any carrier in today's environment to make a go of it there. i think american is shrewd enough to keep an eye on all of that and will protect marketshare wherever possible.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

rajivvyas

RE: Which Other Ailrine Besides WN Will Fly St. Lo

Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:16 pm

What do you mean AA is shrewd? It is already going to give up almost half of its market share.

Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:20 pm

Until AA withdraws its hub completely, I doubt any other airline will...

Okie

Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:27 pm

You can rest assured that there are a lot of bean counters burning the midnight oil looking over STL for a hub or mini hub. I think the city fathers will bend over backwards to get someone in there at low gate fees and other incentives.

MAH4546

Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:29 pm

There is no reason the replace the capacity that St. Louis lost. Most of the capacity they lost was nothing more than capacity that would be filled by connecting passengers. St. Louis will be seeing alot less connecting passengers in the future and a higher percentage of O&D. AA's 207 dailies and services by other airline very much fill the need for the region. If/when AA cuts even more flights, then look for the possibilites.
a.

rajivvyas

RE: Which Other Ailrine Besides WN Will Fly St. Lo

Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:35 pm

That raises another question: What will happen to its more than $1 billion in outstanding bonds? And second: should the city go ahead with building a third runway?

WNfan

Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:11 pm

The new runway project is fully underway. West of the airport it's a complete mess. Backhoes and bulldozers are in great abundance moving earth all over the place to put the tunnel for Lindbergh that will be under the new runway. I don't know if they can reasonably stop or not.

I fly MDW-STL on WN about five times per year, and sometimes if I check in early I walk from the East Terminal through the gates that the charter companies use, and into the end of the Main Terminal (D gates, I think it is). There are lots of American flights going all over the country, and indeed, much of it is connecting traffic.

Personally, I foresee another discounter or two coming in (AirTran and jetBlue come to mind, and Frontier is another possibility) and WN expanding slowly and using the three gates in the East Terminal that are currently unused.

Time will tell, of course, but I think folks in St Louis are still going to have viable travel options. It just won't be a connecting hub anymore.

HlywdCatft

Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:21 pm

If AA pulls out and USAirways gets all of their $&%* together, I could see USAirways putting a hub there for connections. USAirways definitely needs something west of Pittsburgh. I don't know why they stopped at Indy.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos