Derico
Topic Author

Runways In Airports

Mon Dec 20, 1999 9:29 am

I'm curious if anyone out there can tell me how many runways can one single airport have, or potentially have. Is there any limit stipulated in aviation law? If not, who or what determines that? Also, does anyone know which airport does have the greatest number of runways? Thanks.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

flyf15

RE: Runways In Airports

Mon Dec 20, 1999 9:36 am

I can think of 3 things that limit runways...

1. Cost
2. Land
3. Unhappy neighbors  

Tom in NO

Mon Dec 20, 1999 10:09 am

I can think of two additional limits to runway creation:

1) lack of local airline support
2) lack or delay in FAA funding

Ok, I thought of a third...

3) the various environmental impact reports, etc process

As to the airport with the greatest number of runways, I would DFW would be at, or near the top with 7 total (and an 8th in the design phase).

Tom in NO
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Mon Dec 20, 1999 11:21 am

Also in consideration of number of runways is the weather in the area. My base of Phoenix, AZ for example is the busiest 2 runway airport in the world, but this is due to our great weather year round. If the same airport were in Pennsylvania or Seattle, there is no way it could support so many aircraft.

Here, aircraft are separated visually, usually 3 miles apart. In bad weather it is increased to a minimum of five miles. Also if the runways are too close together (3000 feet?) you cannot use both of them at the same time because of proximity to other traffic. This is why airports like San Francisco have such bad delays in foggy weather, the runways are only about 800 feet apart. So, they can only use one at a time. New airports like Dallas and Denver have huge spacing between all their runways, so that bad weather doesn't really affect the number of runways in use.

As for greatest number, Dallas/FTWorth and Chicago O'hare both have 7. Large airports like LA and Atlanta have 4 parallel runways, the two outside ones are used to land, and the inside ones are used for takeoff, overcoming the "too-close" problem. Old airports like PHL, BOS, and EWR have long, but close runways and are bad news on foggy days.

So, there are some other factors for airport design.
-Matt, FAA certified aircraft dispatcher.

ywg777

Mon Dec 20, 1999 12:00 pm

ORD and DFW have 7 runways. DFW is building an 8th. CLK in Hong Kong is another busy airport with parellel runways. Its a real busy airport. I think its busier than PHX.
YWG777

Panman

Mon Dec 20, 1999 11:04 pm

Turbinedux wrote:

Also in consideration of number of runways is the weather in the area. My base of Phoenix, AZ for example is the busiest 2 runway airport in the world, but this is due to our great weather year round.

---------------

Are you sure about this?
Phoenix is busier than Heathrow? I consider Heathrow a 2 runway airport as 5/23 is _very rarely_ used.

PaNMaN

nykaabi

Tue Dec 21, 1999 1:35 am

Turbinedux is absolutely correct. The 1998 numbers are;

Pheonix:519,663

Heathrow:451,373

I don't have the Hong Kong numbers right now, but I think it is less than 200,000. They do have many passengers though due to the fact that most of their movements are from large aircraft.

Tom in NO

RE: Turbinedux Post

Tue Dec 21, 1999 1:31 pm

Hey Matt,

According to FAA design standards, the minimum separation for parallel simultaneous approaches is 3,400'.

Tom in NO
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

TCA256

Wed Dec 22, 1999 5:52 am

not really over the topic but....

strange...BUT REAL...in former Zaire, Africa. The
airline pilots should also know about "driving code"
on some airports like Kinshasa N'dolo (second airport
of the capital city) where bicycles and pedestrians
have the habit to cross the runways to go on the
nearest market !!!

Unfortunately that's why some years ago a russian-made "coffin" Antonov crashed out of runway and killed thousands of people in same the market !!!

Derico
Topic Author

Wed Dec 22, 1999 6:26 am

All of you, thank's for your imput!!
Derico.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

OPNLguy

RWY Centerline Separation..

Wed Dec 22, 1999 7:19 am

Matt/Tom...

Don'thave my Summit CD handy, but isn'tthe required centerline separation 2,500 feet for parallel approaches (staggered) and 4,300 feet for simultaneous (wingtip-to-wingtip) approaches?

Matt, you at HP? If so, tell Webster Marky said hello...

Happy Holidays...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.