tsully

UAL 232 Sioux City Crash (1989)

Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:28 am

I had the pleasure of sitting next to Al Haynes on a flight to Seattle a few years ago. Captain Haynes and his crew managed to "land" their DC-10 with 250 survivors. Their story is amazing, and although long, worth reading.

Captain Haynes' personal account of Flt. 232 may be found here:

http://yarchive.net/air/airliners/dc10_sioux_city.html

[Edited 2003-07-31 23:51:29]

I love America. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle, but I'd rather be a dog in New York City than a prince in Riyadh.

JayDavis

RE: UAL 232 Sioux City Crash (1989)

Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:36 am

I've now heard Captain Haynes speak twice about this incident. One of the things that really stuck with me during both speaches is how he started he speech.....

He said if God had not been with them, they would have not made it. I think he said that UA tried in the simulator about 500 times to recreate the same circumstances and each DC-10 pilot who tried, crashed completely.

Not trying to get into a religious discussion, but that really stuck with me.

Jay

ConcordeBoy

Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:42 am

Good movie* on the topic:

"A Thousand Heroes" They play it on either TNT or TBS every now and then, I forget which one.

*not to be confused with a Charlton Heston movie of the same title  Laugh out loud
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

tsully

What Happened?

Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:46 am

What happened to my original thread? I don't see the original posting.

Strange...

tsully
I love America. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle, but I'd rather be a dog in New York City than a prince in Riyadh.

tsully

Original Thread

Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:53 am

This is very strange, but my original thread isn't appearing at the top of this discussion. Anyway, here it is again:

I had the pleasure of sitting next to Al Haynes on a flight to Seattle a few years ago. Captain Haynes and his crew managed to "land" their DC-10 with 250 survivors. Their story is amazing, and although long, worth reading.

Captain Haynes' personal account of Flt. 232 may be found here:

http://yarchive.net/air/airliners/dc10_sioux_city.html

kl911

Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:20 am

United Airlines, the cooperation they gave everyone, I was very
impressed with that. A lot of people, were upset at first, there
weren't enough people from United to take care of survivors. Well, we
have about a five or six person staff at Sioux City. Well, what United
did, when they knew this plane was going to crash, they pulled ticket
agents, passenger agents, reservations clerks, right off their jobs at
San Fran, Seattle, wherever they could, threw them on the first
available airplane, without even going home, and headed them to Sioux
City. So by the next morning, or the middle of the next day, they had
at least one United employee for every family that was there.

I'm sooo proud to have worked for this company, like almost evrybody is proud at the company he works for. This is the first time I read this story and it took me a long time. I don't know why, but it's gonna give me a bad nights sleep. God bless them all

TLHFLA

Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:44 am

Did the DC10 come under a lot of scrutiny with this crash like it did in 1979 with the American DC10 crash in Chicago? I am sure the media had a field day, as usual...
Bill in ATL

StevenUhl777

Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:46 am

Quick correction...you said there were 250 survivors...actually, no. My recollection was that only 110 made it, and about 184 died. If memory serves me, all 10-15 in First Class were lost, and most seated in rows 9-20 (wing area) were lost when it cartwheeled.

And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

747buff

Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:51 am

There were actually 112 fatalities, and 184 survivors. Also, rows 9-20 was where most of the survivors were sitting.

(BTW this is my 400th post! Big grin)
At Eastern, we earn our wings every day!

DTWINTLFLYER

Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:54 am

yes 110 people survived which was amazing considering the crash. Incidently following the investigation, they did modify the DC10 a/c by putting in a switch that can close off the haudraulic valve(wrong terminology of course, but you get my point) the switch is located at the engineer's seat.

tsully

Survivors

Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:10 am

Going by what the captain of this doomed plane states, of 376 pax, 250 survived. He repeats the 250 surviving figure a few times.

I'd tend to go with what the capt. said, but that's just me.

tsully

Correction

Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:18 am

Quick correction...You said there were 250 survivors...actually, no. My recollection was that only 110 made it, and about 184 died. If memory serves me, all 10-15 in First Class were lost, and most seated in rows 9-20 (wing area) were lost when it cartwheeled.

Actually, according to the Captain of this flight:

1. 250 survivors according to the captain of the plane

2. Not all in first class were lost (there was a deadheading UA pilot in the last row of first class who climbed out the window)

3. The plane did not cartwheel, as the media claimed

DC10GUY

Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:22 am

The DC10's flight controls have no manual reversion ... That is, if you lose all 3 hydraulic systems your going to crash.... Except capt. Haynes kind of proved them wrong. All DC/MD-10's have "Sioux city valves" now that should save #3 hydraulic system fluid in the tail for the r/h outboard elevator in the event of another "Sioux city" type of accident. Also an MD11 can land with just thrust vectoring type of control.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

rongotai

Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:33 am

I do not want to discount Captain Haynes and others invoking God in this story - I have no way of knowing one way or the other. But what I will say is that there is an alternative explanation. My work involves research into human learning and thinking processes in crisis situations, and there are research demonstrated cognitive processes to explain how the United captains at Sioux City and Honolulu (UA841) did it, and why subsequent simulator reenactments couldn't replicate what they did.

DTWINTLFLYER

Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:59 am

OFFICIALLY 289 on board including pax and crew, 112 died.
And if you saw the crash, you would remember the DC10 did "cartwheel" This is proven by seeing the video and from accounts of survivors. DH DC10 pilot Denny Fitch (I think the spelling is correct) is the one who did the most in the cockpit.

Because the ailerons were both jammed in the same position and damage to engine 2, loss of all hydraulics////He came up with the idea of idiling engine one and full throttle (wrong term of course) for engine three. This kept the plane somewhat in a straight direction. Don't forget every minute the a/c would pitch up 1000 feet and down 1000 feet while slowly turning to right.
No offense to any of those very very talented crew members up front, but if it weren't for Fitch, things may not have come out so well. He had to sit on the floor holding the throttles and going back and forth with power.

Most carriers have this in the sim for the DC10 and almost 100 per cent of the time, the plane does not make it at all even knowing what is going to go wrong. Those survivors owe their lives to those guys and a little luck.

StevenUhl777

Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:12 am

Thanks for the corrections, 747buff...I had my numbers right, but reversed...I remember a big article in the paper showing where the survivors sat, etc. Ironically, the ones surviving were over the wing.

I can't say for sure, but UA232 was the beginning of the end for the DC10  Sad
UA flew their last one in 2/2001, and I *think* AA still flys them, as does NWA.

And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

AJ

Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:24 am

And if you saw the crash, you would remember the DC10 did "cartwheel" This is proven by seeing the video and from accounts of survivors

To quote Air Disaster Volume 2 by Macarthur Job 'Contrary to some accounts, the aircraft did not cartwheel, but rolled and tumbled upside down as it broke up'.

STT757

Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:36 am

"I can't say for sure, but UA232 was the beginning of the end for the DC10
UA flew their last one in 2/2001, and I *think* AA still flys them, as does NWA"

No they would have been retired anyway because they were being replaced by the 777s and 767s, AA, UAL and CO have all retired their DC-10s in the last two years.

NWA is the only US Major still flying the DC-10.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

jetstar

Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:27 am

A few years ago I had the opportunity at an aviation function to hear the UA pilot that was deadheading on UA 232, Captain Denny Fitch give a speech on the events that day.

He presented an audio and video timeline combining in sequence the cockpit tapes recovered for the airplane, communications between the various ATC centers and the tower at Sioux City and emergency personnel. As this video proceeded he would narrate other events that were going on in the cockpit. This video continued after the crash to show the rescue operation.

During this approximately 45 minute presentation, not one person talked or even moved from their tables, that’s how compelling and emotional this was. At the end of his presentation, he broke down and started crying because of the lives lost. He said that he had done this presentation over a hundred times and every time he does it he still cries. He is a very religious person and thanked god he and the other survived, but that he was not able to save those who perished that day.

A few things he said were quite amazing.

When Capt. Haynes contacted UA’s SFO maintenance base for instructions, they were told there was nothing that they could do because this was never supposed to happen and Douglas Aircraft had no procedures for this. When he asked them to think of something they were reluctant to communicate back to the aircraft. After the accident when the flight crew met the maintenance personnel at SFO and asked why they would not respond to their requests, they replied it was because they thought they were talking to dead people.

One of the pictures showed a rolled up ball of aluminum and wires. When the airplane cartwheeled and broke up, the cockpit section broke off and was about 200 feet from the main wreckage in the tall corn. No one from the rescue crews came over to this ball of wreckage until about a half hour later and only then did they realize that this was the cockpit section and the flight crew was still alive and trapped in there.

He also showed a picture that a farmer took while he was out in his cornfield and it showed the damage to the horizontal stabilizer and all the flight controls in a slight dropped position. None of the flight controls were jammed, because they had no hydraulic pressure they just dropped down a little.

They were able to lower the landing gear using the emergency extension system and if they were able to land on a runway, they had enough brake pressure in the emergency brake system to apply the brakes. They did think they had a good chance to make the runway once they started the final approach.

Capt. Fitch saved a lot of lives that day.

DodgeCharger

Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:34 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Capt. Haynes go on to fly for another 4 or 5 years with United after the crash?

StevenUhl777

Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:21 pm

DodgeCharger: yes, you are correct. Capt. Haynes did continue to fly for UA for several more years. I don't know when he retired, but recall the news program here in Seattle showing his final flight...it was a DC10, DEN-SEA. Water cannon and all. I think he lived near Sea-Tac airport, but I think he might have passed away a few years ago, hope I'm wrong.

I remember following this accident for a while after. Trivia: they were serving chicken strips for lunch in First Class, when the microscopic crack in titanium hub gave way and #2 failed. I believe it happened over western Iowa, Ames...I think. There was a reward to find the hub from #2, and a farmer found it in his field and it was east of Sioux City. Capt. Haynes wanted the plane away from the city for obvious reasons, and he chose rwy22 as the end of it was close to the river. It was a GE engine, and according to my Dad (who worked on DC-10's and others for UA) United filed suit against GE, never bought another engine from them, and still won't to this day. All PW now, and whatever's on the Airbus fleet.

TWAMD-80

Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:52 pm

Don't worry StevenUhl777, Capt. Haynes is still alive. The crew of UA 232 are heroes. It is amazing how Capt Haynes and Denny Fitch and the F/O were able to crash land the airplane. They really must have had God looking out for them on that day! This story provides an excellent example of crew resource management.

TW
Two A-4's, left ten o'clock level continue left turn!

CanadianNorth

Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:25 pm

I dont really believe in luck.
To me if you stay calm, listen to what others are saying, make sure they listen to you, and do what you need to do, things will ussually work out ok....
sometimes they dont, but as long as you do your part, and do it as best you can, then you have done all you can do.

CanadianNorth.
What could possibly go wrong?

crank

Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:44 pm

I remember seeing a documentary about this, Denny Fitch was interviewed and I remember him saying that he walked down the aisle to check out the wings, and to his surprise, the ailerons on both wings were pointing up.

POSITIVE RATE

Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:40 pm

According to Air Disaster volume 2 there were 111 fatalities and 185 survivors. About a dozen or so survivors even managed to walk off the plane without even a scratch on them. When you see the crash footage it's hard to believe but it happened. The number 2 engine fan disk failure occured near the town of Alta Iowa as the DC-10 was approaching an airway intersection and in a right turn. Thus all the flight controls jammed in the right position so the plane kept wanting to roll right all the time.

The UA232 crew had a small but significant advantage of the JAL 123 flightcrew. They had check captain Dennis Fitch on board. This reduced the workload enormously and without him on that flight they probably wouldn't have pulled it off. And according to Air Disaster vol. 2: : contrary to some accounts, the aircraft did not cartwheel, but rolled and tumbled upside down as it broke up".

United_fan

Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:35 pm

I read that GE took full responsibilty for it due to a microscopic crack. I also remember seeing that engine in a farmers' field.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

bhmal

Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:00 pm

God definitely was with this crew. I understand not all lived but He must have had a plan for those that did.

goingboeing

Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:44 pm

The FO on the flight was a guy named Bill Records who was the pilot flying at the time of the incident. My wife was on a cruise with some friends from Iowa and were chatting with a couple of retired UAL pilots. When the pilots asked where they were from, our group said "Iowa". That's when Mr. Records said he was very familiar with Iowa and told them that he was the FO on UAL 232. My wife asked him all kinds of questions, including why he kept flying. He said "I was 48 years old and flying planes was all I knew". He was very complementary to the rescue crews...apparently when they tried to get them out of the cockpit, moving debris one way caused Captain Haynes to hurt and moving it the other way caused FO Records to hurt. He said that they eventually used a tow truck to lift the cockpit enough to allow rescuers to get them out. He recently retired and my wife said he was a very humble man. And here I thought "humble airline pilot" was an oxymoron.

flyinryan99

Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:05 am

When Captain Haynes was in Bowling Green, he reiterated the plane DID NOT cartwheel down the runway. He said that it rose up just prior to landing because they were un able to control it. What the plane did was turned direction and that gives the illusion that it cartwheeled. The thing that also struck me was that hardly anyone died of the impact, but rather died of smoke inhalation. It was so smokey that they couldn't find their way out and died because of the smoke (some prolly died of heart attacks too). If you ever get the chance to see Captain Haynes speak, do so...It's a once-in-a life opportunity. OH...one other thing....I think it was either 6 or 10 days earlier...SUX had practiced a mock disaster crash of a 727....everyone there was prepared.

Ry

JayDavis

Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:33 am

Other factors were also involved at SUX. Capt. Haynes said that on the day they had their incident, most of the Doctors in that city were at a golf tournament or a large number of them were. So they only had to make one phone call more or less to get a large number of doctors out to the scene very quickly. Also, the two hospitals in SUX had made a decision a long time ago about what they were going to specialize in. One was going to specialize in burn care and the other was specializing in trauma care.

Capt. Haynes also said the weather that day was absolutely wonderful. Normally, during that time of the year, there are thunderstorms ranging all the way from Canada down to Mexico, plus, Iowa is flat and it would be a much easier place to put the plane down instead of The Rockies for example. He also said that the National Guard had just completed their monthly training at the airport that afternoon, so they were all there ready for the plane to come in also.............

Many factors came together to have that many people come out alive in this tragedy. As I have said over and over, God was with this crew and the people on board the aircraft.

777236ER

Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:42 am

Seen as though the mods think this IS aviation related...

Let me tell you something, as a Christian walking on this earth, my life is as worse as it is going to get. Heaven is going to be a MUCH better place.

On the other hand, if you are not a Christian 777236ER, your life is as good as it is going to get on this earth. If you think life is bad and crappy right now, wait till you spend an eternity in Hell.

This is not aviation related (hello mods?) and claptrap. These are your opinions. Whoopy do, I'm happy for you. Don't force them on me.

I don't even know you and I am not trying to be hateful or anything like that, I am just telling you that you need God's love and grace by accepting Jesus as your savior, so that you may spend eternity in Heaven. We are all sinners and only Christians are forgiven by God and through Jesus' death on the cross, are we saved from spending an eternity in Hell. I hope you can find a minister to talk to about this 777236ER. You need Christ in your life.

The only thing aviation related here is "777236ER". But anyway, Jesus isn't my saviour. Heaven doesn't exist. God doesn't exist. I don't need Christ in my life, because Christ isn't looking over me. No mythical father figure is shaking his finger at me from the past, even though he might be doing it to you.

As I have said over and over, God was with this crew and the people on board the aircraft.

If God was with that aircraft, wouldn't He have stopped the uncontined failuring hitting hydraulic lines? Wouldn't he have stopped the fireball? Wouldn't he have let the plane land safely? My interpretation of God is just as valid as yours.
Your bone's got a little machine

mrlineguy

Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:16 am

Can we PLEASE return to the topic??? Capt. Haynes and the crew of UA 232 along with SUX Emergency Management did an amazing job and the simple fact that people walked away is shocking! I did have a chance to speak with Capt. Haynes and his belief was that 4 factors all played into people surviving the crash. Luck, Communication, Preparation, and Execution I believe were the factors HE believed to be the reason why the situation was handled as well as it was as well as allowing people to live!

Regards

Kevin
More right rudder...

jetstar

Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:16 am

Another little known factor that day in Sioux City that helped save lives was that it was a drill weekend for the Iowa Air National Guard unit that was based on the Sioux City airport and their entire Air Force trained crash and rescue was on duty and was the first to respond to the crash site.

FAA regulations require that any airport that has scheduled airline service have trained crash and rescue personnel on duty during the airlines scheduled flight times. The size of this crash crew depends on the type of aircraft operated by the airlines.

Since Sioux City had no scheduled wide body airline service, the airports on duty fire department could not easily have handled a crash of a DC-10 and while the city's fire department responded before the crash, they were not trained in aircraft fire and rescue.

It was the Air National Guard fire crew that was credited with helping save additional lives by preventing the fire from spreading and allowing rescue personnel additional time to remove the injured.

JayDavis

Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:26 am

Yes, all 4 factors were involved in saving as many lives as were saved. All I said was Captain Haynes said that God was definately involved. I have heard the speech twice now and each time he said it !! It is part of his testimony. Whether you want to believe in God is your own choice, as I said earlier and then Boeing777236ER had to go foaming off at the mouth about it.

I also mentioned in an earlier post of mine that the National Guard had been out there training that day, as mentioned in the just above post.

Jay

777236ER

Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:33 am

Whether you want to believe in God is your own choice, as I said earlier and then Boeing777236ER had to go foaming off at the mouth about it.

You were the one who irrelevantly brought God into the discussion...
Your bone's got a little machine

Western737

Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:24 am

As I remembered this very much like it was yesterday. I was living in Sioux Falls, SD which is only 85 miles north of Sioux City. Many of Sioux Falls hospital staff came down there to help too. One of most amazement was when the day it crashed, the Sioux City newscaster even interviewed with a little boy survivor (about 10 years old) few hours after the crash. He didnt even have a scratch! He mentioned that everything went pretty fast and mess then all sudden he realized that he is in middle of cornfield. My hat off to UA crew.

IslandHopper

Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:58 am

>Whether you want to believe in God is your own choice, as I said earlier and then Boeing777236ER had to go foaming off at the mouth about it.

>You were the one who irrelevantly brought God into the discussion...

How is GOD any less "relevant" than saying LUCK or SKILL saved those people that day? It's his opinion, let him state it. Jay mentioned God in his original post, he didn't try to "shove it down your throat".

Just because you come from largely atheistic (a religion itself, by the way) part of the world where mentioning God is cultural faux pas, doesn't mean you should slam someone elses opinons. Why is it that every European poster on a.net is so militantly atheist?

ual777contrail

Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:05 am

tsully,
our DC-10-30'S only held 38 in first and 260 in coach.
our DC-10-10's held 28 first and 259 in coach.
our last DC-10 configuration was 38 first and 260 coach, none of our planes ever held 376.

ual 777 contrail

tsully

Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:09 am

ual 777 contrail,

I'm just going by the numbers Haynes stated in that link I provided... I'll cut the guy some slack if his numbers were off.  Smile

Marco

Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:35 am

God was with them? 112 people died...

But many more survived.

The captain believes that God was with him, and he is a religious man. You cannot discount that, or stop him from saying that. You are the one (777236ER) forcing your athiesm on us, so stop being so dramatic and get beyond the religious debates on a.net.  Insane

Proud to be an Assyrian!

BR715-A1-30

Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:13 pm

About UA filing suit with GE.

Was this before or after they got the CFM56 equipped 737s?
Puhdiddle

kellmark

Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:47 pm

Seems to me that there are three parties at fault here. One, GE for manufacturing the engine with a flaw in the disc, which eventaully failed. Two. McDonnell Douglas, which designed an aircraft which had a poorly designed hydraulic/flight control system subject to easy damage from the number two engine which resulted in the loss of all three hydraulic systems and the loss of control. And three, United, if as I recall, that #2 engine had been through their overhaul shop and during inspection they did not catch the flaw in the disc. That engine had been around for awhile, as I recall.

Seems that they all should have shared the fault.

Petrouchka

Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:01 pm

Straight from the mouth of Capt. Haynes: "First of all, we all have our own personal beliefs and convictions, and I would never intrude on yours, so for the sake of discussion, we call our first factor luck."

Enough said.

Whether you consider UAL232 to be a religious miracle or an incredible statistical anomaly, the fact remains that it is one of the most amazing stories in the history of aviation. Captain Al Haynes, F.O. William Records, S.O. Dudley Dvorak, Dennis Fitch (the deadheading check pilot), and Kevin Bockman (the ATC that day) are heroes of the highest order.

Chris Kilroy did a wonderful write-up on the incident over at airdisaster.com.

http://www.airdisaster.com/special/special-ua232.shtml