styles

QF To Ireland

Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:26 am

Does anybody know how much pax traffic/cargo flies from Ireland to Australia? Would it ever justify a direct flight rather than connecting via London? Also, what percentage of Australians are of Irish ancestry? I would hazard a guess that it is not insignificant.

BD1959

RE: QF To Ireland

Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:27 am

what percentage of Australians are of Irish ancestry? I would hazard a guess that it is not insignificant.

What is the significance of a question like this? What does it matter whether someone is 5th generation Irish - are they more likely to fly once a year on a pilgrimage to sample the black-stuff in Dublin?

Melbourne is the 2nd largest "Greek" city in the world - yet this is not enough to support a point-to-point service for either QF or OA.

More and more it seems that International Routes are determined by the ability to transit at the final destination (see the recent topic of whether DFW or ORD makes a better US hub for QF) - and International Airlines are moving away from the single point destination you are suggesting here.

BD1959

nickofatlanta

Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:41 am

If QF couldn't make it at FCO, I would be very surprised if they could make it at DUB. From what's been posted on these boards, QF is having trouble making CDG work too.

Besides, with EI in oneworld, it makes very little sense for QF to serve DUB direct. Secondary cities (like DUB) - as opposed to major gateway cities - can be served by EI from QF's gateways in CDG, FRA or LHR.

tailfin

Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:32 pm

“What does it matter whether someone is 5th generation Irish - are they more likely to fly once a year on a pilgrimage to sample the black-stuff in Dublin?”

Absolutely. How do you think Aer Lingus work 3 daily flights from Ireland to Boston?

Currently, with EI and QF in alliance, they’re happy with connecting through LHR…or even LAX

[Edited 2003-08-01 15:48:35]

airmale

Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:31 am

I have a feeling like NZ, Qantas will eventually be only serving the UK market, if that happens they should turn their service trans Pacific and perhaps add a seperate service to Dublin as well, because of historical links maybe teh flight could stop in DUB or SNN on the return leg to australia.

Regarding the Greek issue, I heard that traffic was there but the route was not profitable.
.....up there with the best!

yyz717

Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:35 am

There are 20M Brits living within the catchment area of MAN, and yet QF could not justify the maintenance of MAN service. Hence, I see little justification for DUB service given that there are only 3M Irish.

There are many, many more Aussies of British than Irish descent and yet LHR remains the only QF destination in the UK.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

dutchjet

Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:27 am

Its all about code-shares and alliances, its much more convenient for QF to fly passengers on flights operated by their european partners into LHR and then on to Australia.

Manchester is a good example, QF in the past continued one flight per day from LHR to Manchester with a 744; when BA got involved, the QF flight terminated in LHR and it was BA on to Manchester. The same thing happened in the USA, QF dropped SFO in favor of code shares between LAX-SFO (then operated by US Airways....that was when BA owned a piece of US).

Thus, dont look for QF to open a station in Dublin any time soon, the routing will continue to be via LHR.

Lufthansa

Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:01 am

QF will continue to LHR and FRA in europe for a long time to come, it
is certainly a very different situation than NZ.

QF makes a nice profit on these routes. Part of the problem is their
are less Australian interests in Southern Europe than in the UK or Northern
europe. Air NZ serves a much smaller market than Qantas. Really there
is little point comparing NZ to QF, a more realistic comparison should be
drawn to Singapore. Singapore is really Qantas' number one and main
competitor, and the vast majority of ppl flying between Europe and Australia,
if unable to easily do so on QF/BA, will simply go to SQ.

Now my point....SQ is star alliance...and no longer has a feeder program
within Australia to attract business travelers. What does that mean....
many business travelers will choose QF even if they would prefer SQ. As for
Air NZ.....well they're doing well to maintain a link to LHR for a nation with just 3 million ppl half way around the planet.

BD1959

Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:48 am

Tailfin:

“What does it matter whether someone is 5th generation Irish - are they more likely to fly once a year on a pilgrimage to sample the black-stuff in Dublin?”

Absolutely. How do you think Aer Lingus work 3 daily flights from Ireland to Boston?

Currently, with EI and QF in alliance, they’re happy with connecting through LHR…or even LAX

The point I was making is that it makes no difference what constitutes the background population, if there is not money to be made from a route then QF simply won't fly it.

Good Luck to Aer Lingus, they must be making great money to be running so many dailies.

BD1959

aa61hvy

Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:28 am

Didn't OA fly to SYD a while back with an A340?
Go big or go home

Trvlr

Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:56 am

OA did indeed fly to SYD, as well as MEL, with an A340. They stopped the route about a year or two ago, after having operated it for several decades, I believe.

So therefore, ethnic populations in a city do matter.

Aaron G.

BD1959

Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:59 am

Trvlr:

MEL is supposedly the 2nd largest Greek city on the Planet - but the economics don't stack up: OA threatened to pull out of MEL about 3yrs ago - the Victorian State Govt agreed to subsidise flights under a tourism initiative.

As I said before, these days Full-Service International routes have to provide more than just point-to-point passengers.

BD1959