hamad

Traveling During Terror Alert, Soon,

Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:28 am

I am not starting this thread to have all the anti americanism, or the anti-islamic and the anti arabic groups to start it as a chance for bashing each other. but i have seen a program on CNN about CAPSII tonight, and they have said about some guy who was named "Mohammad Ali" they interviewed him, he was supposed to fly northwest airlines, and as the report says he was subjected to extra screening because of his name, although he was cleared by security, northwest still denied his boarding and won't let him board the aircraft.

my delimma is that i am flying northwest in a week from BWI to PHX, connecting in DTW, and under this new terror alert, and hearing those stories, what kind of trouble would i face? any advises on what i can do to avoid problems? as far as it goes, i am going to have one roller bag and a lap top which will be a carry on.
PHX - i miss spotting

luv2fly

RE: Traveling During Terror Alert, Soon,

Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:31 am

Avoid booking last minute and paying cash that raises flags. Also one way flights also gets noticed.
You can cut the irony with a knife

prosa

Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:40 am

and they have said about some guy who was named "Mohammad Ali" they interviewed him, he was supposed to fly northwest airlines, and as the report says he was subjected to extra screening because of his name

They must've thought he'd float like a butterfly and sting like a bee  Smokin cool
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:59 am

It is true shame NW has chosen to take part in such blatant discrimination. If he passed through security fine, what is the problem? I am all for logical prevention and searches by TSA, but not allowing a perfectly clean passenger to board your airplane because of his name or race is just wrong. My advice for you is to be extremely cooperative with security and avoid any extra attention. Best of luck to you, and it is a real shame that a rotten few can make travel that much more challenging and stressful for people of Arab descent.

Justin
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

fly_emirates

Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:24 pm

I totally agree. It is really understandable why that Americans can be paying attention toward middleastern passengers, because of certain minority who skrewed it for all

Danny

Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:29 pm

Don't worry I am polish and they always send me for a special screeneing as well even thpugh polish troops were fighting in Irak with them. If you're not american life in USA isn't easy.

Daniel

nwcoflyer

Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:35 pm

JpetekYXMD80

...It is true shame NW has chosen to take part in such blatant discrimination...

NW has not chosen to take part in such blatant discrimination, a few people at NW have been discriminative. A few people do not represent an airline as a whole, and there have been problems with other airlines as well in regards to the same problem.

The New American is arriving.

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:50 pm

Yes, i shouldn't have applied that to the whole airline, apologies to NWA employess.

Justin
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009