What Is The Largest Aircraft Serving Des Moines?

Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:48 pm

I was looking at the d/b at Des Moines, and I see a lot of pictures of 747s and all these really big planes, and I wonder, why the heck does Des Moines get 747s? I never thought of them as a big city, and I thought scrapping or something like that, but I still wonder. Anyone know?

I  Love BOI

acidradio
Crew

RE: What Is The Largest Aircraft Serving Des Moines?

Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:59 pm

Probably whatever UPS flies into DSM, DC8-72's? Or do they send any A310's there? DSM as we probably know has turned to a mostly RJ market. Think of it this way - CLE, which as a city is way bigger than DSM and is a HUB doesn't get any widebodies except for your typical freighters (FedEx, maybe UPS). So the world is a strange place...
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

thunder9

Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:08 pm

DSM is a popular diversion city for ORD. So when the wx at ORD goes down, you can bet that AA & UA will bring in as many aircraft as can be squeezed in.

I was up in DSM in Sep 2000 for one night. When I got back to my hotel, which was just across the street from the airport fence, I noticed way too many AA planes.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

They had a 763, a 752, a 722, and three MD-80's, plus three or four ERJ's there, all due to T-storms at/near ORD.

-J
"Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee." - William Kershner

penguinflies

Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:21 am

UPS actually has scheduled 747 service to Des Moines. I think it flies once every three weeks. Otherwise it's A300-s and DC-8s. What does FedEx fly into Des Moines?

UPSfueler

Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:47 am

Thunder9, DSM is not the diversion airport for ORD. Rockford(RFD) is the main diversion airport. Its only 80 miles from ORd and normally UAL and AA as well as ATA divert there when the weather goes south. When I was working at RFD we were the FBO in charge of fueling the diversions. One night we had 13 on the ground at one time.

JonnyGT

Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:54 am

I fondly remember one time an ELAL flight diverted to Des Moines. The largest we get is a 747 once every three weeks, though we get many UPS 763's and DC8s everyday. (One going by my window right now). The UPS flights go to SDF in Kentucky.

Tan Flyr

Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:19 am

YPS Fueler..hate to tell ya, but a lot of airports are diversion points for ORD when ORD goes south...My 70 y/o parents got diverted to DSM on an AA 767 from LAX a few years ago, finally getting to ORD at midnight to Sllep on the floor having missed connections.
I have diverted to MSN on a BDL-ORD flight also. After the big blizzard of Jan. 78, UAL made FWA a diverson for widebodies as FWA has a 12000 ft runway. I recall late at nights some 747's doing touch n goes on a familiarization schedule the fall/early winter of 78.(lived in FWA at the time)

I think a lot of midwest airports can used as diversions for ORD.

As far as 747's..also maybe Football / basketball charters