kimmykun

Runway Lengths And Trafic

Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:54 am

Hey, all. A couple days ago in the Puerto Rico newspaper El Nuevo Día, there was an article about a proposed lengthening of PSE's runway of an extra 1,000 feet, provided that the local environmental agency (Recursos Naturales) can move a small river and a watering system out of the way. The reason for this is to try and drum up some more operations for the underused airport which runs at a loss of $3 million a year.

Now my question is; has something like this actually worked before? PSE's 6,904-foot runway is already capable of jet service so I'm just wondering how a 7,904-foot runway is going to do any better at getting service to that airport. Anyone?

Edit: PSE is Ponce Mercedita Airport in Ponce, PR. I forget that the name doesn't show up when you put the cursor over the code. Sorry.

[Edited 2003-08-02 00:01:21]

RE: Runway Lengths And Trafic

Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:58 am

I don't know an exact answer - but here at INN - we needed a larger safety zone after the runway end - we would also had to move the local river wich is right behind the airport.... But for the town heads no way to do this. now our runway will be shortend a little....  Angry

Tom in NO

RE: Runway Lengths And Trafic

Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:05 am

Runway extensions usually have two purposes:
1) safety: increase clearances over surrounding areas, be they neighborhoods, terrain, or other. Also to be considered is aircraft safety in inclement weather.
2) Airline route planners will look at a 7,900' runway as being more operationally advantageous than a 6,900' runway. The old axiom that "every little bit helps' actually has merit here. Probably wouldn't drastically increase service, but it will get noticed.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina