osteogenesis

Head Of MBB Died At 91

Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:41 am

Found this sad note in the Airbus home page:

AIRBUS MOURNS LOSS OF LUDWIG BÖLKOW
JULY 28, 2003

On behalf of all Airbus employees, President and Chief Executive Officer Noël Forgeard today expressed his deepest sympathy and condolences to the family and friends of Ludwig Bölkow, former CEO of the German aerospace company Messerschmidt-Bölkow-Blohm (MBB), who passed away late last Friday at the age of 91.

“Ludwig Bölkow was one of the most prominent personalities in the European aerospace industry in the second half of the last century. As one of those who contributed to what eventually became the Airbus programme, we owe the existence and the success of our company and its product line also to his personal commitment and achievement. His vision and entrepreneurial spirit will be kept alive in the memories of all Airbus employees,“ Noël Forgeard said.

Ludwig Bölkow founded the German Airbus Study Office (Arbeitsgemeinschaft Airbus) in Munich shortly after the first discussions to explore the possibility of a Franco-German or even a European wide-body aircraft that had taken place at the Le Bourget airshow in 1965. Mr Bölkow later was a member of the Supervisory Board and subsequently honorary Supervisory Board member of Deutsche Airbus GmbH, the former German partner of Airbus Industrie, and now part of Airbus.

[Edited 2003-08-02 02:05:20]

Stratofish

RE: Ludwig Bölkow Died At 91

Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:59 am

Another aviation pioneer gone.
But any of us can now fly on his "LebenswerK".

I think you should have choosen another heading, though. Even though I am very familiar with MBB I didn´t realize you mean that Mr.Bölkow. But I know how hard it is picking the right heading.
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way

osteogenesis

RE: Head Of MBB Died At 91

Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:06 am

Thanks for the advice, I already changed it.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

RayChuang

Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:50 pm

One thing people forget about Ludwig Boelkow was the fact he was one of the main design engineers on the pioneering Me 262 jet fighter during World War II.

osteogenesis

Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:35 pm

I remember the stories about the allied fighter pilots that where shocked to see it on the battlefield. The pilot with the most kills in the air with a fighter jet is still a Me262 pilot.

The Mig 15 and the North American F-86 Sabre used the technology of the Me262.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Thomas P. McManus