markk

Continental Reward Tickets

Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:06 am

Is anyone real familiar with the way Continental handles reward ticketing? I am looking to book a biz first reward from IAH-HNL sometime in Feb or March. There seems to be no standard biz first seats available yet there seem to be quite a few this August and September. Have they just not released any standard seats yet? Does Continental usually not release standard reward type seats until only a month or two out?

Thanks,
Mark

neilalp

RE: Continental Reward Tickets

Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:34 am

I've found it hard doing rewards travel with any airline even more so Continental. I was just checking out flights to the Pacific area in June of next year. It was hit of miss on the day. I would bet Feb and March are big times for travel to Honolulu and there aren't that many reward seats because they can sell the seat instead of giving it away. Aug and Sept are actually off-peak for Honoulu thus more seats. I would keep checking, but I'd be surprised to see if anything opened up except if someone canceled.

ybacpa

Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:44 am

Two general rules with CO:
1. It is almost impossible to get tickets on the dates you want, regardless of your elite level.
2. The closer to the date of departure, the more likely you are to get them. It seems like about 45 days before departure CO will open seats up to reward usage.

Try looking at Northwest or Delta for availabilty, if you don't mind flying them. If you don't have the nerves to wait until 45 days before, try looking for upgrade awards. They'll cost you, but at least you'll have a guaranteed seat. Also, try calling and checking the web site, sometimes one or the other will be able to find you seats.

Good luck

yb
SkyTeam: The alliance for third rate airlines finally getting their act together!

Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:51 am

It's extremely difficult to find BF tickets to HNL... when you do, it's usually on the LAX flight... just keep looking, keep your fingers crossed & maybe you'll get lucky!

akelley728

Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:05 am

Markk:

Check out the Continental forum at www.flyertalk.com. You'll have a much better chance of getting your questions answered there than here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/milesfr.shtml

corocks

Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:27 am

The only way to get Biz seats on Continental overseas or to HNL if it is outside of 30 days is via a special Platinum reward code. Some of the agents don't even realize it exists sometimes. You usually have to keep calling back until you get the right agent. Otherwise, they don't normally open the standard rewards outside of the 30 days.

Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:32 am

For great reading on this topic, search for "impossible" within the Continental forum... you'll find such great topics as:

CO deserves a new Freddie category: Worst airline to redeem awards
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum20/HTML/007403.html

Impossible to get a reward ticket to ANYWHERE
http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ftpasttalk_forum/Forum20/HTML/006828.hml

markk

Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:11 am

Thanks for the responses. Seems to me that if you roll the dice and wait you might get a ticket. Just as the prices go under the 30 day window and skyrocket..

markk

Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:35 am

Ok I have read some of these boards. Maybe I am confused, but can I use my onepass miles on Northwest?

akelley728

Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:49 am

Markk: Ok I have read some of these boards. Maybe I am confused, but can I use my onepass miles on Northwest?

Absolutely. You call the OnePass service center, they'll look at Northwest inventory and book the NW flight using your OP miles.