SInGAPORE_AIR

Avod In Virgin Atlantic Y Class LHR - LAX, SFO?

Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:37 am

Greetings,

Does anyone know if Virgin Atlantic Airways Limited -
49% owned by Singapore Airlines Limited - a member of Star Alliance
have managed to install the AVOD IFE in Economy Class on board 747s serving LAX and SFO?

Or will I have to put up with rolling relatively non-controllable IFE?
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

airchabum

RE: Avod In Virgin Atlantic Y Class LHR - LAX, SFO?

Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:44 am

Hi Singapore_Air

AVOD? Do you mean v:port? It's on a couple of the 744s (G-VBIG/WOW) I've used it a few times and it's been pretty reliable.

Cheers
Biggidy biggidy bong

Ikarus

Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:45 am

It (VPort) is not installed in all planes yet, and their fleet utilization is highly dynamic (i.e. it's not always the same planes on the same routes).

Chances are you'll end up with Odyssey, if you're really unlucky Arcadia, thought that's not too likely.

either way, what's to complain about? lots of channels, even lots of video games....

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:34 am

Yes but with no control as to when you watch the channels?

No offence, but Singapore Airlines' WISEMEN has somewhat spoilt me IFE wise.

Leezyjet

Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:04 am

Can we expect a trip report about how much water the Virgin Atlantic sanitary towels hold ?.  Yawn

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:14 am

Leezyjet, of course you will. Even though I do not have a comparable care for Virgin Atlantic Airways compared to Singapore Airlines Limited - the former is still 49% part of Singapore Airlines Group. My eye will notice everything. If they're lucky, maybe I can do a blanket test again.

luv2fly

Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:19 pm

Has anyone warned Virgin yet about your upcoming trip so they have time to fully retrain the cabin staff to your exacting standards? They should have a good 3 to 4 months to prepare for this important event.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Ikarus

Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:06 pm

Singapore_Air:

Erm. On the subject of blanket tests: If a stewardess tried to tuck me in because the blanket was floppy, I'd be pretty annoyed - it's an invasion of private space, and if that is standard SQ practice, I'm never flying with them... at least not overnight

V-Port is video on demand, it's the same system as SQ, I believe. Odyssey is not video on demand, but lots of channels (much more than, say, BA's Omnia). Arcadia is the oldest of the lot - the first generation of PTV systems.

Gosh, I look forward to reading what you have to say about the VS cabin crew - most likely a lot of camp guys, not docile doe eyed SQ gals!  Big grin

UAL747

Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:10 pm

"Does anyone know if Virgin Atlantic Airways Limited -

49% owned by Singapore Airlines Limited - a member of Star Alliance"

GOD! Does it ever end?!?

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

hoons90

Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:35 pm

Is there a list of each reg.#s of aircraft which use Odyssey, Arcadia or Vport ?
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

Ikarus

Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:44 pm

Probably. Perhaps on the VS fan web page?

Either way, there's also Nova (on the 5 Gatwick based 744s that were originally ordered by Alitalia), no idea what that is like, though I haven't heard positive things (no phones, no games)

I think, though I'm not sure, that the oldest 343s and the oldest 744s have Arcadia, but one of the oldest has been refitted with V-Port (VBIG). Anything delivered before VWOW and after the Arcadia ones has Odyssey... anything delivered after VWOW (i.e. the A346s) has V-Port. And, whatever is sitting around in Dublin in a hangar at the moment (though I still don't believe the rumour that it's in BMI colours) will probably have V-Port and the new Upper Class in a few weeks.

Now I'm sure there is some Virgin Fan out there who has a complete list. Or perhaps we could ask Jetstreamer?

United01

Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:10 pm

Yea I was gonna say about NOVA. I just flew VS return LGW-MCO and unfortunately I got NOVA both ways. It was dissapointing - atleast by VS's standard - 7 movie channels and one other channel in 'cycles' but it seemed to be on one cycle until about one hour till the end of the flight and it was supposed to change every two hours. If i had known about the Gatwick 747's all having NOVA i would have booked United alsoseeing as Heathrown is next door and I had an excellent time with them twice previously. Having said that apart from the IFE dissapointment, I cant say much else bad about Virgin.

airchabum

Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:15 pm

Right then:
A340-300
Arcadia G-VBUS/AEL/SKY/FLY/SUN
Odyssey G-VHOL/SEA/AIR/ELD/FAR

747-400
Arcadia G-VHOT/FAB
V:port G-VBIG/WOW
Odyssey G-VTOP/AST/XLG
Nova G-VROS/GAL/LIP/ROM/ROY (ie the LGW a/c)

A340-600
All have v:port

Nova is pretty basic really...no games and only 6 film + 2tv channels. The LGW a/c are planned to be refitted with v:port when the new Upper Class seats are fitted.

Cheers
Biggidy biggidy bong

Ikarus

Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:19 pm

Airchabum: Cool, great info. (And the 742s in Manchester have Odyssey, right?)

DoorsToManual

Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:40 pm

Not wanting to sound patronising, but I quite like the idea of having a PTV, whether AVOD or not - the absence of phones wouldn't bother me in the least; I personally find them useless and a complete rip-off. For the most part, I absolutely detest all manner of computer games too.

Give me a few film channels, and preferably a daylight flight + window, and I'm very happy.

airchabum

Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:53 pm

Ikarus

Yes I forgot the Classics (TF-ATN/W). Correct, they have Odyssey too.

DoorsToManual

Couldn't agree more! I think I can manage for 7hrs without having the urge to ring someone at $15 per minute! The games are good for the kids though (or the big ones like myself!)
Biggidy biggidy bong

Leezyjet

Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:08 pm

If I'm on a really long long flight (like I should have been last night) I like to play a few of the games in between films. I got quite good at 10-pin bowling on my last trip to HKG and also played the golf game too. Tried out Hangman but was not very good at that. That Battlemail Kung-Fu was not very good. I'd been really looking forward to playing it but when I finally got an a/c that it worked on, it was a real disappointment, it's such a boring game.

If I'm on a short flight such as the East Coast US, then the films are usually enough to keep me occupied, providing there are some good films showing.

Not bothered about a phone. How many people in Econ actually use them anyway ?. Think of all the extra weight that would be saved by not having them and just having them in business seats and on the bulkheads for econ pax. I doubt even business pax use them that much either.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

Jaspike

Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:35 pm

In my spare time I looks for posts by Singapore_Air. Great entertainment...

Josh

Airplanepics

Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:35 pm

Yeah, who needs V-Port, You could just take a collection of Singapore_Air's threads and posts aboard with you. Ill be surely entertained!!

Airplanepics
Simon - London-Aviation.com

DoorsToManual

Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:22 pm

Regarding Singapore_Air, what I find most funny are those who take his ranting seriously. I just love it when people get all angry about his constant references to Singapore Airlines - honestly, who cares? The best advice for those who have a problem with a particular member is to either 'Suggest Deletion' or just DON'T reply.

For my part, I actually find his posts amusing, if somewhat obsessive. Yes, SQ service is pretty damn good, but there are other very good airlines out there (Virgin is certainly one of them, minus their awful seat pitch in Economy).

Jaspike

Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:57 pm

Amusing stuff Laugh out loud

But has he gone too far... will Singapore Airlines want to employ someone who's that obsessed and who could scare customers? If he's working with people..

Too hot today... must go for a cold shower..

Josh

UN_B732

Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:05 pm

G-VBIG! G-VWOW! Gotta love Virgin's regos..
Hey Singapore_Air, did you get my e-mail???
-UN
Why didn't you take SQ :P
What now?

Sabena 690

Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:30 pm

Yeah, who needs V-Port, You could just take a collection of Singapore_Air's threads and posts aboard with you. Ill be surely entertained!!

ROFLMAO!!!  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

Regards
Frederic

Airplanepics

Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:37 pm

Glad you like the little bit of humour there Frederic  Big grin

Regards,
Airplanepics
Simon - London-Aviation.com

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos