gamps

Which Airlines Weigh Passengers During Check-in?

Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:35 am

I was speaking with a bud who works for WHO and recently returned from Bhutan (a small country in Himalayas sandwiched between India and China). He said all passengers were "weighed" during check-in at Paro International Airport when they checked-in. Check-in counters have weigh scales and their weights were duly noted infront of their name in passenger list.

As many of you know Druk Airlines has a small fleet of two planes - BAe146s, and Paro International is supposed to be one of the toughest airports to land/take off. Druk flies to Delhi, Calcutta, Yangon, Bangkok and Kathmandu.

Any other airline with regular scheduled ops has this practice of weighing passengers?

Cheers
G

SInGAPORE_AIR

RE: Which Airlines Weigh Passengers During Check-in?

Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:36 am

I can't answer the question.

But there was some rumour that Singapore Airlines Limited weighed their First Class and Raffles Class passengers and assigned gates far or near so that they could get excercise. Highly improbably but a rumour nonetheless.

Sorry, do continue!...
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

aa757first

Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:37 am

Here in the US, Druk would be at the other end of a lawsuit every other day. I'm assuming they weigh passengers to see if they need two seats?

UAL747

Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:40 am

Singapore_Air,

That can't be true. It's not like people are going to lose a bunch of weight if they have to walk a long way to their aircraft. Stupid rumor!

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

srbmod

Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:43 am

Actually right now, several airlines in the US are voluntarily weighing passengers at the gate as part of a FAA study to determine new the weight standards used for weight and balance purposes. This came about after the US Airways Express B1900 crash @ CLT earlier this year, which is belived to have been cause by the a/c being overweight. I have seen Delta doing it on B Concourse @ ATL for the last few weeks.

777236ER

Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:45 am

They weight passengers so they can do load calculations. You'd have to measure the size of passengers if they needed to know how many seats they take up.

The less people you have the less the weights of people averages out. With smaller aircraft with strict C of G limits and take off weight limits the weight of individual passengers can be a big issue. Weight passengers has been done regularly by passenger-carrying light aircraft and for smaller turboprops. A BAe-146 seems pretty large though - if they're weighing every passenger on a BAe-146 then the minimums must be pretty tight.
Your bone's got a little machine

ThreeWests

Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:30 am

I dont know about now, but when I lived in Montana, Big Sky Airlines(GQ), would ask how much you weighed at check in and then assign your seat. If I remember right they were flying Metros at the time and the explaination had to do with weight and balance.
If you can read this your flying too close

USAFHummer

Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:48 am

When I was at JFK a few weeks ago, jetBlue was conducting a completely voluntary study of passengers weights...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

gamps

RE: Which Airlines Weigh Passengers During Check-i

Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:47 pm

The Jet Blue voluntary weighing is news to me. Do they enter the weigh on the boarding pass or enter into some document?

Yeah, if Drunk Air was here they would have been sued by now. Imagine South West using the same technique to determine if you need to buy a single or a double seat  Smile

Cheers

777236ER

Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:31 am

Yeah, if Drunk Air was here they would have been sued by now

No they wouldn't. They weigh passengers to do load calculations. They don't care about your personal health.
Your bone's got a little machine

Ikarus

Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:40 am

I'm just waiting for the day that Ryanair announces "New policy: Each passenger is allowed a 10 kg luggage bag, 5 kg of hand luggage in the cabin, as well as up to 5 kg of presonal overweight (related to his/her size by the BMI - body mass index). Every kilogram above those restrictions is charged at 4 pounds or 6 Euros per kilo"  Big grin

ntspelich

Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:48 am

I couldn't tell you which airline it was, but I recall my parents telling me that on their honeymoon in the US Virgin Islands in the late 1970's they were weighed before getting on their connecting flight from SJU to whichever island they were vacationing on. Apparently, there were quite a few honeymooning couples on the flight, none of which got to sit together so that the weight could be distributed properly.
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

jwenting

Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:56 am

KLM used to back in the 1920s and I think into the 1940s  Smile
I wish I were flying

Ex_SQer

Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:09 am

I've been weighed for a Merpati Air puddlehopper in a remote airport in Indonesia. It was done for weight and balance requirements esp for small aircraft operating in remote airports with difficult conditions.

A few weeks ago, the Wall St Journal ran an article about how the FAA wants to increase the notional weight of the average adult from the current 77kgs to (I think) 82kgs. This weight includes handluggage and clothes. Airlines are apparently trying to fight this because it means more payload restrictions. My guess is that Jetblue and others are weighing paxs to see if they have a case against the FAA.

Oh, and Singapore_Air's rumour, by the way, is 100% untrue.

UA777lover

Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:08 am

I know that Southworst....er Southwest and Air Canada will, at the gate agents discretion, charge larger people a 2nd seat. I don't think that gets you extra peanuts, drinks or airline miles. Not sure if the policy has been enforced, but I fear that in the age of cutbacks and service cuts, this may be an unfortunate trend. Maybe this will help kick start a health trend in the US and Canada to get rid of that "excess baggage" that a lot of us carry on board.

tekelberry

Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:54 am

My guess is that Jetblue and others are weighing paxs to see if they have a case against the FAA.

If that's why they're doing it, they must be stupid.

If it's voluntary the only people that would do it would be people that weren't embarassed about their weight. Unless they had some sort of scale where the numbers were completely secret and it just registered in the computer without telling either the gate agent or the passenger, the "survey" is flawed.

wedgetail737

Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:04 pm

I was weighed before I could board Northwest Seaplanes to Friday Harbor and Alpha Air to Mammoth Lakes.

trident3

RE: Which Airlines Weigh Passengers During Check-i

Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:41 pm

I have been weighed when flying on Aurigny's Trislanders. I am quite a big lad, and I accept that it is all to do with balance and nothing else. The good side is that a couple of times I have ended up sitting next to the pilot!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Colin K. Work

"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:23 pm

When i was in Alaska i flew to a lake - from Ketchikan. Was panoramic-plane, i think a Dash 4 or something like that.
They wanted to know weight of each passenger, but didn't they didn't weigh them.
Also Lufthansa did it about 20 years ago to get average-weight of their passengers.

spk

Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:58 pm

With the airport at such high altitude, I understand why they must weigh the passengers. The aircraft will be push to its limit while taking off. There are simply no room for error there.