Topic Author

Does Anyone Remember Northeast?

Tue Dec 21, 1999 7:37 am

Has wnyone on this forum ever flown the original Northeast? (the Yellowbirds). If so please tell me how the service was and what route you flew on.

RE: Does Anyone Remember Northeast?

Tue Dec 21, 1999 8:16 am

I'm too young and grew up in the wrong part of the country to remember Northeast, but I saw something interesting while shooting at DFW's Founders Plaza a couple of years back.

It was a Delta MD-88 with a Northeast "Yellowbird" decal next to the main cabin door. This was in 1997, the 25th anniversary of the DL-NE merger. I guess this is like the old PSA hands at SAN painting smiles on USAir 737s and Airbuses.

RE: Does Anyone Remember Northeast?

Tue Dec 21, 1999 9:29 am

Far and away my favorite "fallen flag" airline,and I was "plane nut" since I was 5 years old. Those 727's were absolute knockouts in Yellowbird paint,and indeed probably legendized the 727 to me. It is still my favorite plane,though I haven't worked on one in years. (those brakes weighed a ton!) In the NY area NE was a household word and all relatives who flew south flew on Northeast (or National). I never knew then how small an airline they actually were. I was only 10 years old when they were bought out of existence--I do remember hearing a radio ad for NE (replete with the charactaristic "yellowbird" music from the calypso song of the same name) saying that "Northeast and Delta have become one airline". A co-worker used to work for them (as a mechanic) in that era and thought they were "pretty good" to work for but they were never really profitable.