QANTASforever

World's Largest Airport?

Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:18 pm

In terms of area, number of runways etc?

QANTASFOREVER
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

vikkyvik

RE: World's Largest Airport?

Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:33 pm

not positive, but i know that Denver is one of the biggest, with 53 square miles (~136 sq km) of land (larger than the city of Boston), and 5 (soon to be 6) runways. to give you more of an idea, the 5 existing runways are all 12,000 ft (~3650 m), and the 6th will be 16,000 ft (~4870 m), making it the "longest commercial runway in North America," according to flydenver.com.
~vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

JBirdAV8r

Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:48 pm

As a side note, 16,000' is longer than the Shuttle Landing Facility runway in Florida (15,000'). Wow.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

vikkyvik

Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:03 pm

indeed it is....new backup shuttle landing facility?  Smile
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

thunder9

Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:33 pm

DFW currently has seven runways, and plans are in the works for number eight over on the far west side of the airport. I believe that if the new runway is built, they will also extend the north end of current runways 17R/35L and 18C/36C, which would make four runways of at least 12,000 feet in length.

-J
"Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee." - William Kershner

swissgabe

Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:35 pm

What's about Riyadh (RUH) in Saudi Arabia?

In terms of size it has to be the biggest Worldwide since the world doesn't stop at the US border ...
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

gkirk

Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:03 pm

I believe Swissgabe is correct, in terms of area I believe that Riyadh is indeed the biggest by quite a bit.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

noelg

Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:10 pm

Riyadh is the world's largest airport, covering over 87 square miles (225 square km).

For gods sake don't tell the Americans that an Arab country has a bigger airport than the USA!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Noel

Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:16 pm

since the world doesn't stop at the US border

I don't think that comment was necessary.  Sad

Jaspike

Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:27 pm

Take it as a joke Big thumbs up
Don't take it to seriously  Laugh out loud

Josh

fritzi

Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:30 pm

King Khaled INTL/AB in Riyadh is indeed the worlds largest airport/airbase.

It has two rwys, 15L/33R, 15R/33L. Both of the rwys have the same dimensions, 13796 x 197 feet, and are also equipt with ILS's.

ghost77

Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:39 pm

Here in Mexico there are some plans of building a second runway of 5KM / 5,000 M in TLC/MMTO airport which is Toluca Intl.... So if they do., that will be North America's longest rwy..... but for now DEN will have it....

Ricardo Morales  Smile

Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

petazulu

Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:01 am

Some of these 'jokes' aren't very funny. I mean, what's the point of saying stuff like that? Was anybody suggesting that the rest of the world doesn't count?

Anyways, it would seem tome that the US or Russian Air Forces would have very large airbases and proving grounds- equiped with long runways, etc.

Maybe not.

EGGD

Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:06 am

Petazulu - I think the reason for the joke is that every single time one of these topics come up (once every month or so) the American airports always get nominated first despite their being bigger/larger/higher/whatever airports outside of the US  Big grin.

Usairwys757

RE: Favorite Small Airport

Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:13 am

Yes I think Denver has to be somewhere up there. The last time i was there it was the biggest in the world. that was about 3 years ago. Thats just according to the Rental car guy. But im pretty sure Denver is still up there in terms of the largest in the world.

Smile
Inactive.....

An-225

Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:18 am

Denver International is the largest in the US and I believe second-largest in the world in terms of land area. But Riyadh just beats it hands down. Here's my overview of DEN.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alexander Kroychik

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

vikkyvik

Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:19 am

In terms of US airbases (i can't speak for the rest of the world), don't know if they should be included as a lot of their area consists of nothing but desert. Though I suppose if you count the lakebed runways at Edwards and White Sands, they would probably be up there in size (Edwards' longest is something like 7 miles).

Jaspike

Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:20 am

Great pic - you don't get many overviews of big airports that get everything or almost everything in - nice one! Big thumbs up

Josh

aa61hvy

Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:27 am

I always though it was DFW or Riyadh.
Go big or go home

An-225

Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:34 am

DFW is a bit smaller than DEN, which makes it 2nd largest in US and probably 3rd largest in the world in terms of land area. Next time I fly, I hope to get an even better overview of DEN.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

ssides

Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:35 am

For the 2002 statistics on passengers, see this site: http://www.geohive.com/charts/linkc.php?xml=ec_airport&xsl=ec_port

In terms of sheer size, I couldn't find anything official. However, in terms of square miles (terminals, runways, airport territory) I am almost positive that the top three are:

1. RUH
2. DEN
3. DFW

I know that when it was built, DFW was the largest airport in the world in terms of size; it was soon surpassed by RUH.

Also, with seven (eight on its way) runways, DFW has more runways than any other commerical airport.

[Edited 2003-08-07 17:37:14]

[Edited 2003-08-07 17:38:10]
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

petazulu

Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:39 am

Can anyone explain wy RUH is so big? I mean, its a big city and all, but why is the airport that large a land mass? Is there a special condition that requires such size?

Just curious.

ConcordeBoy

Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:06 am

I know that when it was built, DFW was the largest airport in the world in terms of size; it was soon surpassed by RUH

King Khalid International was operational before DFW was built
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

ssides

Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:07 am

Petazulu --

In the 1970s, many Gulf states were so flush with petrodollars that they launched thousands of massive "white elephant" construction projects simply for status reasons. The airport at Riyadh was one of these. If you look, it doesn't even approach the top numbers for passenger traffic (MCO and STL have more passengers than RUH). However, back in the oil boom days the Saudis wanted to have the world's biggest airport, and they built it.

A similar example comes from the United Arab Emirates: two cities there (I can't remember which ones) were in a big competition with each other, so they both build huge, gleaming international airports -- 10 miles apart.

petazulu

Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:16 am

Ssides,

That is what I figured. I just didn't want my assumption to be flamed. I can't imagine the need for such a large airport, but hey- its not my money I guess.

STT757

Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:19 am

"King Khaled INTL/AB in Riyadh is indeed the worlds largest airport/airbase.

It has two rwys, 15L/33R, 15R/33L. Both of the rwys have the same dimensions, 13796 x 197 feet, and are also equipt with ILS's"

The original poster said largest in terms of " In terms of area, number of runways etc?"

Riyadh might have the most land, but not runways!.

So Riyadh is only partially correct, interms of BOTH land area and runways Denver would be the largest.

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

STT757

Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:22 am

The largest airfield/ airbase/longest runways in the World would the the airbase located at the Groom Lake test facility on the Nevada test site.

It's about the size of Connecticut, with a 20+ thousand ft runway.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Tom in NO

Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:27 am

Regards US airports, DFW is about 17,000 acres, DIA is a little more than that. But remember that MCO is also in that ballpark.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

jrlander

Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:39 am

RUH is an interesting place. I didn't fly into it, I flew into Bahrain and took the causeway into Saudi. However, I did drive by it. It is really a beautiful example of contemporary Islamic architecture. Interestingly enough, there are only 2 terminals in use. They built a third, which was never opened (or at least hadn't opened last time I checked). The thing to remember about Riyadh is that it is a fairly new city. Though the are extremely old ruins in the area, and though it has been inhabited for centuries, the city is new. They laid out highways and road that still haven't been overtaken by development. The airport was an example of this. There was nothing on that side of town when they built the airport, so they could claim as much of the desert for airport as they wanted. Development has come in that direction now. SABIC, which is the second largest company in the Kingdom behind Saudi Aramco and for whom my father is a HR consultant, just built a huge new office complex in the area.

EGGD

Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:44 am

So Riyadh is only partially correct, interms of BOTH land area and runways Denver would be the largest.

How do you figure?

Riyadh is bigger, Denver has more runways, so Riyadh is still bigger than Denver no matter how man runways DEN has.

And to be honest, I think both airports are badly designed, especially Denver considering how much land they have to use, the airport layout looks terrible from Alex's picture, and 8 runways? why? DEN isn't a particularly busy airport with regards to traffic, considering LHR has over 60m passengers a year and only 2 runways. Maybe they were going for the 'most runways' record  Laugh out loud

vikkyvik

Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:03 am

"Regards US airports, DFW is about 17,000 acres, DIA is a little more than that. But remember that MCO is also in that ballpark."

DEN is actually over 33,000 acres...not really same ballpark.  Smile

"...especially Denver considering how much land they have to use, the airport layout looks terrible from Alex's picture, and 8 runways?"

DEN only has 5 (soon 6). May be mistaken for DFW.
Groom Lake is definitely a candidate, though I believe the longest runway at Edwards is longer (7+ miles).
Also, DEN has a lot of land to expand if they need it. When they originally obtained the land, they obtained all the land surrounding the airport as well. The actual facilities don't take up all 33,000 acres (though a substantial portion of it!).  Smile

deltamike172

Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:04 am

The main reason for all the runways in Denver is becuase, reguardless of passengers per year it handles, it still is top 10 in the world for aircraft OPERATIONS. London in 15. London is also mainly heavies, so less planes full still means more passengers. The main reason for all the space is becuase of the hub operation United runs in there. London just has a nice steady stream all day long to thier runways. Denver has huge rushes where the whole airport shows up at once and tries to leave at once. Why all the room? Becuase the airport is out in the middle of nowhere, might as well buy the land. There is plenty of room to expand in the next hundred years. Also, with all the hub rushs, its really nice, in the middle of a snowstorm, to be able to shoot three simultaneous CATIII approaches at once. Denver needs the room to de-ice and all that. In terms of ease of operation, every airport wishes it was set up like Denver. DFW has even more runways becuase it needs it too. AAL has bigger rushes than DEN does, and more pax a year, so they have more runways. It may seem like a waste to those in Europe who are used to two, maybe three runways. I assure you that they use all of them here in the US. Every runway built is ONLY built becuase its exsistance increases the capacity and reduces delay. No one builds runways to look good, though the Denver mayor does seem to get turned on by long runways!
DM

as739x

Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:10 am

EGGD-whats so bad about the design? I dont follow. DIA can have 3 planes making an approach at the same time, in a blizzard. Don't bring LHR pax numbers into effect. Last I checked, a city built an airport so it could increase with traffic as needed. You can not compare LHR which has mainly wide-bodies of Intl airlines and BA/VS to DIA which is a UA and F9 hub. Common sense will tell us here that it gets a fair share of small planes compared to LHR, hence the need for 3 planes making a parallel approach in the winter to keep the hub running. DIA may have only a little over 30 million pax a year, but it can grow!London would die to have what Denver has.
Now can we stop all the bull with this thread?
Land size we have: RUH
Amount of runways: DFW
This is for the world so no more American bashing, "Can't we just all get along?"
ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

ssides

Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:04 am

Who has stats on the airport with the most operations? I know DFW briefly took this title in the late 1990s, but I think it's fallen off.

BO__einG

Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:28 am

What about Terminal Complex.

I think Atlanta's huge complex was the worlds biggest but now I believe its Chep Lap Kok. Its huge Y design is massive.

Which airport is the largest in terms of Cargo space or Aircraft Maintenance?
I want to say FRA, MEM, SDF, SIN.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

timz

Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:15 am

Just checked on Riyadh: the two 4200-meter parallel runways are 2700 meters apart. So does that 225 sq km mostly include at-present-unused area?

DoorsToManual

Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:22 am

So does that 225 sq km mostly include at-present-unused area?

Yup. I've sometimes used it when cycling with the Riyadh Wheelers  Big grin

It's just a load of sand, which they claim as airport. There isn't really a fence or anything to delineate the airport from non-airport land.

As you can imagine, it's great for watching the ol' 747s screaming up above....

Jrlander, you forgot to mention the Royal/VIP terminal.

The Int'l terminal is well ventilated - so well ventilated in fact, that during a dust storm, the terminal gets a little, er, sandy.

gigneil

Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:24 am

Denver's runways are laid out in an absolutely perfect pattern.

None cross each other at any point, they're all large distances from each other, they support triple simultaneous arrivals (the first airport to do so) even in extremely inclement weather (the only airport to do so). Denver also has higher average taxi speeds thanks to the intelligently designed and ample taxiways.

The long runways aren't even long enough - hence the need to build the 16,000 ft runway. They want to make sure fully loaded flights to Europe and Asia could depart even in the height of summer.

It also has the tallest ATC tower in the US.

Denver is the most advanced airport in the world in terms of design and operations. Now a lot of that has to do with its age and the space available to build it... but that's irrelevant.

N

trnswrld

Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:00 am

OMG that Denver airport is in middle of NOWHERE!!!! I just looked at that picture and really suprised me. Where the hell is the city?

An-225

Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:09 am

Downtown Denver is about half an hour away on the higway, TrnsWrld. The airport can expand 5 times its size and still not worry about NIMBY's. There's even talk of when World Port is built, that they'll add a separate East/West runway for cargo use only, but that's just that - talk.

By the way, DEN is one of the most spotter-friendly airports out there, and we get interesting traffic.

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tim Samples
View Large View Medium

Photo © Tim Samples

Well, you get the idea. Great thread!

N1641

Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:13 am

my 10 year old brother says its some airport in Denver! saw it on the history channel today

worldtraveler

Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:13 am

Folks,
ATL has got to be one of the best run airports and that counts for far more than how many runways or how much space. ATL has 4 parallel runways and moves more passengers than any other airport in the world. Delta has more flights from ATL than any other airline has from any other airport so the excuse that DEN needs a bunch of runways to accommodate UA's hubs is not valid. ORD has more runways and operations (although ATL and ORD have switched places for #1 in operations) but is less efficient in number of passengers handled - partly because DL uses larger aircraft at ATL than AA or UA do at ORD.

LHR deserves mention for moving so many passengers with so few runways; few airports outside of the US have more than 2 air carrier runways. Who can list major airports outside of the US with 3 or more air carrier runways and the number of passengers and flights handled.

Boeing4ever

Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:45 am

In terms of size it has to be the biggest Worldwide since the world doesn't stop at the US border ...

We all know Swissgabe's history and I don't buy this "it was a joke" crap. So, a recently started thread features some Americans who suggest DEN as the largest airport, and that is somehow interpreted as Americans being ignorant and narrow-minded!?

THEY KNOW THERE IS A WORLD OUTSIDE OF THE US! YOU are the one who jumped to conclusions here! You know, the US is a part of the world as well. So suggesting a US airport ISN'T that objectionable! Give your anti-US diatribe a rest!

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:50 am

Downtown Denver is about half an hour away on the higway...

Maybe if the highway was the Autobahn...

SN-A330

Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:15 pm

I suggest everyone stops discussing the 'US versus The World' issues here and stays on topic: World's Largest Airport? If not, we'll have to archive the thread.

Thanks, SN-A330
(forum moderator)
I would rather be flying...

PW100

Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:59 am

. . . has more flights from ATL than any other airline has from any other airport so the excuse that DEN needs a bunch of runways to accommodate UA's hubs is not valid . . .

Never been to ATL nor DEN, but I would assume that DEN will need more runways than ATL to cope with winter weather conditions, and keep operations going during severe snow.
Don't know what the yearly snow rate in ATL is though. But can you imagine 2500 [ATL] daily operations at ATL runway system in adverse winter weather, or even 1100 [DEN] daily ops on a ATL runway system?

PW100
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

gigneil

Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:10 am

PW100 is right. The special runway configurations are due to weather and wind.

Maybe if the highway was the Autobahn...

Not even. I could reliably get from my home on Grant St. in downtown Denver to the airport in 25 minutes even in midmorning traffic.

N