Ikarus
Topic Author

Selling Ryanair Flights On Ebay...?

Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:08 pm

Hi

I've noticed that there's always some Ryanair flight tickets being offered on ebay. Now I do have a few tickets that I won't be able to use after all, and I'd love to get a little money back on them.

But reading the terms & conditions I keep getting the impression that only an insane person would buy them. OK, the 15 pound name change fee is reasonable, but then the person is expected to pay the difference between current price and originally paid price?!?!? Why would they bother buying them on ebay if they end up paying the current price after all? Or am I misreading the terms & conditions? Is that rule new? (I never noticed it before)

Either way, does anyone here have any experience with buying / selling Ryanair tickets on ebay? Or any other way to get a part of the money back? (Well, I guess if my name was John Smith I could just try and find someone else with the same name and let them fly using my ticket, but unfortunately, my name isn't John Smith)

Regards

Ikarus

DoorsToManual

RE: Selling Ryanair Flights On Ebay...?

Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:24 pm

Not just Ryanair, as you've probably noticed - lots of easyjet, bmibaby etc. etc.

That's precisely the reason I don't buy from ebay - apart from the 15 pound name change, there's the fare difference (although that can work in your favour if the price dips). Furthermore, web fares aren't eligible when you rebook, so that means calling their reservation centre, which is probably a waste of time, as you'll know...

It's a shame that tickets aren't valid for 1 year, as is the case with Jetblue in the states.

You can always try...

It's designed to maximise the chances that they'll get your money anyway....

Ikarus
Topic Author

Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:28 pm

although that can work in your favour if the price dips

I doubt it, as their T&Cs say that "all monies paid (including taxes, fees and curcharges) are non-refundable". So if they won't refund me my airport taxes (making up a good proportion of the price) then they sure as hell won't tell someone "oh, the ticket is cheaper now than 2 weeks ago, here, have a refund!"

I'm still miffed that Ryanair is going to walk away with all the money, including taxes they won't have to pay....

DoorsToManual

Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:39 pm

Sure, they don't refund you - what I meant is that it would be better than having to pay the "difference" (if that difference was higher than the original price).

Yes, they keep the money. A lot of the things they do are quite controversial, but since they don't seem to care what others think, it doesn't matter - it's probably a "strength" of theirs (until it becomes a liability).

Maybe they need a PR person? Someone who at least has the talent to create an impression that Ryanair "care", even if they don't really.  Big grin

[Edited 2003-08-09 15:40:22]