JAL: JFK-GRU

Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:51 pm

Just wondering, does JAL have traffic rights between JFK-GRU? I mean, can they sell tickets on just that sector of the GRU-JFK-NRT route?

Thanks

UAL747

RE: JAL: JFK-GRU

Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:59 pm

I was waiting on VS004 to LHR at JFK when the JAL 744 flight came in from NRT. They blocked off the entire gate area with large area dividers for the passengers to deplane. However, they were not allowed to leave the gate area. No other people were allowed into the area, so I'm assuming the flight to GRU wasn't taking on any new passengers and this area was a "clean" area for passengers continuing on to GRU.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:05 pm

Was this recently? Like within the last week when they changed the visa requirements?

I heard that JAL switched from LAX to JFK as their North American stopover because the potential GRU-JFK yields would be much better than those to LAX. So, I assumed that they did have traffic rights for this route. I'm not so sure now.

UAL747

Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:07 pm

This was in March.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

UAL747

Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:13 pm

Well, they had that "clean" area set up in March, but it looks like it may be different now....

From travelocity:

Total: USD 876.30

Flight: Japan Airlines flight 48 on a Boeing 747 Jet
Depart: New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)- Sun, Aug 10 8:35pm
Arrive: Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU) - Mon, Aug 11 7:00am

Flight: Japan Airlines flight 47 on a Boeing 747 Jet
Depart: Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU)- Thu, Aug 14 11:55pm
Arrive: New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK) - Fri, Aug 15 8:15am

Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:16 pm

DAMN!! That's a great deal!! I'm planning on heading to Sampa pretty soon anyways and was hoping that JAL would offer tickets on this segment. I'll take them for sure ahead of RG or anyone else.

panamair

Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:29 am

The 'clean area' has always been there (for transit pax from NRT thru to GRU). They have always been allowed to pick up local traffic JFK-GRU and v.v. ever since they started the service.

SIN747

Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:41 am

Flew it GRU-JFK last year. A small number of pax also got off at JFK

swissgabe

Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:49 am

As soon as a flight is loaded in the CRS and there is no notice "STOPOVER CONNECTION ONLY" or "SUBJECT TO GOVT APPROVAL", an airline does have traffic rights.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

airplanetire

Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:59 am

I had always heard that anyone going through a US airport, even if they are connecting to another international flight or were on a continuing flight to another country had to deplane and go through customs. They did not need a visa until now, but I had heard this. There is one trip report (I can't seem to find it by searching.) in which one member flew Cathay Pacific from YYZ to HKG. The flight stopped in ANC and all passengers had to deplane and go thorugh customs, I believe he said. Was I wrong in what I had thought? How do Varig's flights between GRU and NGO/NRT via LAX work with this?

-Airplanetire

MaverickM11

Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:03 am

One would think that with the obscene number of NW and UA flights that continue from Japan, JL and NH would have some sort of respective rights.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos