tekelberry

Alaska And Alliances

Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:38 am

Why hasn't Alaska joined an alliance yet? If they were to join an alliance, which one would it be? I'm guessing oneworld because of their extensive partnerships with other oneworld airlines, including American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, LanChile, and Qantas. That's most of oneworld right there....

upsmd11

RE: Alaska And Alliances

Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:42 am

I always thought that US, Hawaiian (or Aloha) and Alaska would make a good partnership. Just coverage alone with few, if any, overlapping routes makes sense to me.

John

searpqx

Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:39 am

But at the same time, Alaska's closest, most extensive and longest alliance has been with Northwest, and about four years ago it was expanded to include Continental and KLM.

But all that aside, Alaska has made it clear that they prefer to go it alone, making strategic alliances with individual carriers that provide direct benefit. In fact several years ago, one of the top execs of the company referred to AS as the 'whore of airline alliances', in reference to the multiple relationships that cross most alliance boundaries. While anything is possible in this industry, I think for the time being you'll see AS (and Horizon) continue on their present course, picking and choosing their partners to complement and strengthen their network.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

doug_or

Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:59 am

I'd agree. AS does very well with their current setup. they seem to have a large number of code shares across alliances that serve them well. QX would appear to do especialy well with this, acting as a feeder for OneWorld, Hawaiian, Northwest, and Continental at SEA and PDX.
When in doubt, one B pump off

Tango-Bravo

Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:58 am

Another term that has been used to describe Alaska and Horizon in regard to their partnerships (not alliances!) with other airlines is "the Switzerland of the industry" referring to their neutrality from alliances which would limit or preclude potentially profitable opportunities for codeshares and frequent flyer reciprocity with airlines outside the alliance.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos