kaitak

Flying With US Airlines?

Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:54 am

I'm sure most of us, when we fly, enjoy taking photos from the aircraft. Generally speaking, would this be frowned upon by onboard security staff or cabin crew? I've heard stories of pax being reported by other pax to security once they disemarked and having their bags searched. Does this happen. The problem is that no one seems to know what the law actually is.

It occurs to me then, apart from domestic flights, when one obviously has to fly with US carriers, that it's best to stick to non US carriers on international flights? Can't imagine JAL or Virgin caring much about pax taking photos?

artsyman

RE: Flying With US Airlines?

Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:58 am

Can't imagine JAL or Virgin caring much about pax taking photos?
The US carriers are fine with it also, you may get the odd person frowning, but you'll get that on any carrier. I'd fly Continental over Lufthansa for example and have PTV and games all the way rather than an A340 with nothing to do...

jhooper

Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:06 am

I've never had a problem pulling out the camera and snapping a few shots or taping with my video camera on board. It's not on any kind of prohibited item list, so it should be ok. Even still, I won't try to draw too much attention to myself; some people are just paranoid and think someone can do something bad with photos of the interior or exterior of an airplane, or even photos out the window!
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Vimanav

Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:08 am

Whichever carrier you try, make sure you do not try photography on board any Indian commercial airplane over Indian airspace. Our law making mandarins are paranoid over anyone clicking pictures of India / Indian airports without their permission - all in the name of national security. While cabin crew themselves may not bother too much, chances are you will be harrassed if somebody reports you to the authorities.

rgds//Vimanav
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

B747-437B

Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:35 am

make sure you do not try photography on board any Indian commercial airplane over Indian airspace

Flying KLM into DEL last December, they actually made the announcement as we crossed the border from Pakistan that photography was prohibited for the rest of the flight.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

delta-flyer

Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:49 am

The only time I ever saw anyone admonished for taking pictures was on an Air France flight, while disembarking at CDG. (It was a flight attendant giving my son a hard time.) I often take pictures on US airlines and at US airports and have never been stopped.

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

killerbabe

Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:54 am

I always fly with KLM or with one of its partners. The never made any problems with me when I walked around with my camera even think that they are a bit proud when I do that.
By the way, on a flight from Cape Town to Amsterdam with KLM/NWA, de captain promoted taking pictures....From Table mountain,Cape Town and Robben Island because it was soo clear outside...

futureualpilot

Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:12 am

I've taken pics from Delta, American, United, U.S. Airways, Southwest, Northwest, and any other airline you can imagine(except Continental, whom I am flying very soon), and I have not had a problem with it.
Life is better when you surf.

AA777MIA

Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:38 am

I know that AA's policy is that you can photograph inside the cabin, however are prohibited from photographing crew without permission from corporate headquarters.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos