LoneStarMike
Topic Author

Design Fornew Terminalat IND Unveiled

Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:49 am

From The Indianapolis Star (with a photo gallery of artist's concetion of the new facilities)

Officials unveil design for new airport terminal
Security is priority at planned terminal
08/14/2003

complete article

Looks very futuristic - like something straight out of The Jetsons.  Smile

LoneStarMike

Usairwys757

RE: Design Fornew Terminalat IND Unveiled

Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:54 am

I agree with the jetsons look. Looks really modern, maybe a little too modern if you ask me.
Inactive.....

jpetekyxmd80

Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:04 am

"Designs for the midfield terminal call for a "civic plaza" where people can gather."

Things like these large plazas seem to be popping up all over in airport plans, and i just dont get it. You dont go to the airport to get a latte and stand in a wide open space talking with people. Can anyone explain the logic behind these areas, i think a much better and more interesting things could be added in these vast areas of space..
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

MCIB757

Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:04 am

I really like it, doesn't really look that futuristic to me. I like the big open spaces that airports can lack sometimes. Also, I think it has a Kansai feel to it with all those tubular support structures.

Tom
"God bless catastrophe..."

Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:10 am

The ticketing lobby looks very Narita T2 like... not exactly futuristic  Smile.

jsnww81

Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:08 pm

Looks pretty nice to me. Airport design these days seems to be all about visibility and sight lines, and it looks like the folks at HOK did their homework here. Hard to believe they're the same firm that designed DFW in the early 1970s...

There aren't too many built-from-scratch new terminals going up in the US right now. It'll be interesting to follow the construction of this one.

luv2fly

Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:54 pm

Well considering if you are meeting someone and you can not go to the gate area I can see the need for this design.
You can cut the irony with a knife

OzarkD9S

Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:21 am

The overview photo doesn't seem to reflect a major increase in the number of gates though it was hard to estimate. I'm wondering if the plan allows for additional, unnatched concourses in the future?
Next up: STL-CVG-MKE-MSP-STL.

jsnww81

Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:47 am

I'm pretty certain - if I remember the "Midfield Terminal" section of the IND website correctly - that each of the 'boomerang' concourses can be extended to provide additional gates in the future. Not sure about midfield concourses though. It's a pretty large site, there's got to be plenty of ways to expend or (presumably) IND wouldn't have committed to the final design.

I know work has already started rerouting the Interstate to make room for the new airport interchange. Does anyone know when ground will be broken for the actual terminal? If they want to have it done by 2007, work would have to begin fairly soon. It took PIT ten years to build their new terminal, DFW and DEN took six years, and ATL took four.

ZID

Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:39 am

You must remember two things. This is the first airport designed after 9/11, so the new safety measures have been taken into account with this design. People can't go to the gates without a ticket so all of the congregating will be in the main hall before the security checkpoints. Indy is not a hub so you don't need big, vast, open gate areas. So we get this design from HOK, two small concourses with around thirty-five gates, and a beautiful large main hall.

I love the high ceiling with the tubular supports. I can't wait until it opens. It will be unlike anything else in the midwest, if not the United States. In the midst of the rustbelt there is a growing, vibrant and progressive city by the name of Indianapolis; and this terminal will let every visitor know it.
I'm not joking! This is my job!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos