zrs70

Does Your Partner Hate To Fly?

Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:13 am

It's an ongoing issue. I love travel, he loves being there.

I love to get to airports early, he will get there last minute and rush on the jetway at the last minute.

I love connecting flights, he insists on nonstop.

I pack the night before, he packs in the morning (usually making us late to the airport!)

Aviation energizes me. It saps the energy from him!

But I love him anyway!
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

andersjt

RE: Does Your Partner Hate To Fly?

Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:39 am

For him it is just way to get there and he hates it, yet the only way I get to fly alone is by making up trips to visit family. Of course, when we do travel together, he doesn't mind the first class seats I pay for and being able to wait in the Red Carpet Club, but he doesn't see why I get so excited.

I'll wait until he does something to upset me (which is often), then tell him of my September trip through every United domestic hub "for fun."
Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

vermeer

Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:18 am

Sounds incredibly familiar....

he hates flying, oh if he does!
Generally in the age before me he slept his ways through each and every segment. Since I cam onboard, he cannot. I have to point out every single thing out both on board and at the airport.

Again, to him is inifluential if I upgrade him to business class so that we can fly together ( but he had time to complain that his seat was broken AND I was sitting on his eyeshades). That was the time I made him cry telling him that the plane was flying too low...ahem...

He does not understand HOW I know most of the gate agents, lounge agents and some of the crews; basically I park him in the lounge with the New Yorker and a drink and he is happy and oblivious of the surroundings.

Now he knows my excitement and he calls me from the plane ( what are you flying?" I ask, "I don't know". " Do you see two engines or three?" "I can't see them", "Ok, is the seating two one two, two two two or two three two?" with me trying to guess which type of plane he is on) and he remebers to take amenity kits and menus. he is not even that surprised anymore when one third of my holiday pictures are plane pictures.

When we have a fight his token of peace comes in the form of " do you want me to take you to the airport to see some planes?"
We still have no agreement about WHERE in the living room I can put my row of 4 economy class seats I bought from Lufthansa though....

I am currently trying to make him fly to Namibia from New York via a couple of hubs instead of taking the direct to Jo'burg, that is going to be a tough one.

Next time you do a United domestic run, I WANT TO JOIN.

SegmentKing

Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:05 am

I'm so burned out on flying that I Just want to get there now too...

also, what is wrong with packing the day of? I tend to show up 30 minutes before departure anyway (non-rev or positive space)...

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Btw, none of my friends really complain about non-reving with me... one friend flew Long Beach - JFK - FLL with me and really didn't flinch when he found out we had to spend an extra 4 hours in the air to get home from california

-nate
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

TWFirst

Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:44 pm

My responses...

It's an ongoing issue. I love travel, he loves being there.
SAME WITH US.

I love to get to airports early, he will get there last minute and rush on the jetway at the last minute.
WE BOTH LOVE GETTING TO THE AIRPORT EARLY, BUT FOR DIFFERENT REASONS (i.e., I love being at the airport, he just doesn't want to be stressed out and have plenty of time).

I love connecting flights, he insists on nonstop.
SAME WITH US.

I pack the night before, he packs in the morning (usually making us late to the airport!)
ACTUALLY, THE OPPOSITE WITH US (A FAULT OF MINE).

Aviation energizes me. It saps the energy from him!
SAME WITH US.

But I love him anyway!
ME TOO.

Shalom!
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

ERJ135

Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:03 pm

I love to fly but my wife isn't all that interested, we both love train travel, and while she loves a sea voyage, I'd rather fly!

We both get to the airport in plenty of time because she knows I want to look at the planes, she's such a good girl!

I love to connect and change airlines and even terminals, my wife doesn't even want to be bothered changing planes.

I pack for both of us usually the night before unless we have a later departure then I might do it in the morning. My wife finds this amusing that I know what to pack for her.

I love the flying experience even work trips and remain bright and alert even on 14+ hour long hauls, my wife however, well perhaps some things are left unsaid okay?

And we love each other to bits!
I remember when the DC-3 was new!

sccutler

Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:09 pm

My wife loves to travel... and is outstanding at finding great destinations to which we can fly ourselves. Makes my pilot's license more valuable, without a doubt.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Jumbolino

Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:23 am

sounds pretty like my husband  Sad
he says its a way to go from A to B and if possible without connection, don't spend too much time at the airport ....
Well, I love him, too, but it would be much more nicer if he would love flying around like I do ...

Jumbolino.
Kind Regards, Jutta.

ntspelich

Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:51 pm

It's not that my girlfriend doesn't like to fly, it's simply that she grew up in a railroad family, and since Amtrak has always been teetering on the brink of non-existence, she's used to, and was raised to think that, if you're not leaving North America, there's no reason you can't drive. Or, even better, take the train.

Convincing her to take short hops, such as PIT-ORD, was really interesting the first couple of times. But, I finally got her convinced that it beats the 7 hour or so drive or the even longer train ride.

NS
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos