bigmo747

Atlanta Hartsfield Question?

Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:19 am

I just saw this picture on the home page of airliners.net and had a question for u guys..

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Justin Cederholm

As we can see on both sides of the terminal building we see planes parked, and at the top and bottom of each building (per say in this pic) we can see taxiways and runways, however what i dont see is anyconnecting pathways between terminals for passenger use or infact i dont see how passengers can even get into a terminal for checking in--i've never been to Atl so this pic seems real interesting--can anyone help me out??

jpetekyxmd80

RE: Atlanta Hartsfield Question?

Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:24 am

Check in in the main terminal, underground tram runs to middle of each concourse and to the terminal
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

wedgetail737

Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:26 am

The passengers travel through underground trams and walkways to get to the concourses. The elevators and escalators are located roughly halfway down the concourse. You should go there sometime, it's a fairly decent airport.

atcboy73

Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:26 am

Its the same set up as Denver and a great one I might add for moving large amounts of people and aircraft.

bigmo747

Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:28 am

thanks for the quick replies, i actually have a trip coming up to Atl in Dec so now i'm even more excited--that is interesting.

thanks again

ContinentalEWR

Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:09 am

All check in is done at the North Terminal or the South Terminal, both of which are actually one connected building, with separate entrances. From there, you catch a train, under ground, to the concourses, A, B, C, D, and E. You ascend from the sub-terranian level via an escalator or elevator if you wish, into each concourse, each of which has shops, restaurants, eating and drinking establishments, and the gates. The main terminal where you arrive from and depart (enter) is called Terminal T.

ContinentalEWR

FLAIRPORT

Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:58 am

whatever you do, don't say you look foward to flying into ATL on DL so that you can ride the train...
You'll end up in concourse T which is connected to the main terminal.

Trust me, I used to have reverse luck... never wanted to ride the trams until recently!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

BR715-A1-30

Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:08 am

ATL is a wonderful place (For spotters and travellers alike). I love going there. It is awesome riding the APMs around in circles.

Here are a few tips:

1. If you ride the train from D to E. DO NOT get off. If you stay on, you will go around and end up back at E, but you will be able to see the APM maintenance facility. I repeat. If you go to E. STAY ON THE APM UNTIL YOU GO AROUND. It is awesome.

2. If you go to ASA's side of 'C', Check out the "Eastern Shortcut". It was supposed to be a connection tunnel for people connecting on Eastern Flights. It was closed for some time, and recently re-opened

3. ATL has PLENTY of restaurants and shops. I can send you a map of ATL if you'd like.
Puhdiddle

DALinATL

Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:53 pm

1. If you ride the train from D to E. DO NOT get off. If you stay on, you will go around and end up back at E, but you will be able to see the APM maintenance facility. I repeat. If you go to E. STAY ON THE APM UNTIL YOU GO AROUND. It is awesome.

be careful! a friend and i tried this one day on our way to work on E, although most trains come back around to E ours didn't. we ended up parked in an access tunnel. we had to call on the emergency phone and they finally got us out about 30 minutes later. we had a lot of fun explaining why we were later for work.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy