Pilot1113
Topic Author

Two Cessnas Collide In Masschusetts

Thu Dec 23, 1999 1:05 pm

According to WHDH-TV (Channel 7 - Boston):

Two small planes have crashed in Leominster following a mid-air collision. A state police spokesman says the planes came down in the Crawford Street area. There are reports of two people seriously injured. It's not known where the planes originated from or where they were heading when they collided. Sky7 shows the planes on top of each other in a back yard just a few feet from the end of the runway. One plane has the words "Daniel Webster College" painted on the tail. It is not known what the connection to the college is.

I will have more information as it becomes available. I think that one pilot has died in this accident. God bless them. God speed.

- Neil Harrison

Pilot1113
Topic Author

Update 11:10pm EST

Thu Dec 23, 1999 1:12 pm

Well... here's the updated version...

Two small planes collided in midair Wednesday afternoon about 300 yards from a municipal airport and came to rest on top of each other, nearly missing a house. There were conflicting initial reports on casualties. A Federal Aviation Administration spokesman said one pilot was confirmed dead. But state police said two men were critically injured. State police said that rescuers at first thought the pilot of one of the planes was dead, but he took them by surprise when they removed him from the cockpit and he breathed. "The fellow who was pronounced dead at the scene was not dead," said state police trooper John LePage. "There was no vital signs that they could get on him. When they removed him from the wreckage, there was a big deep breath, and he was breathing." The planes appeared to be tailing each other before they collided, according to Kenneth Haenisch, who watched the crash. Haenisch said he was driving home to Ashburnham from work when he saw one plane tailing the other at a distance of only 50 yards. Figuring something would happen, he followed them in his car until they collided. Haenisch said it appeared the sun blinded the pilots.

- Neil Harrison

Pilot1113

Thu Dec 23, 1999 1:34 pm

I think you should of put the time in Zulu form!
Iain

Pilot1113
Topic Author

RE: Pilot1113

Thu Dec 23, 1999 1:44 pm

Sure... make me do a little math! It's not like I'm vacation or anything...  

- Neil Harrison

Pilot1113
Topic Author

Update 1435Z

Thu Dec 23, 1999 11:38 pm

This is from WHDH-TV Channel 7 News Boston:

One man is dead and another remains in the hospital after that midair collision over Leominster. The identity of the dead pilot has not been released. Officials say the other pilot was a college freshman at Daniel Webster College in New Hampshire. Nineteen-year-old Michael Egan of Warrensburg, New York suffered injuries to his knees and face but escaped life threatening injuries, according to a spokesman at the college. Egan was listed in serious condition at U-Mass Memorial hospital in Worcester. An FAA official says the collision occurred as one of the planes was attempting to land at Fitchburg Municipal Airport. A witness says he believes the bright sun could have blinded the pilots.(AP)

This is the last and final update, unless something earthshattering happens.

Again my prayers are with the families of both pilots, especially the one who died in this tragedy. What a terrible thing to happen especially 2 days before Christmas and the coming new year.

- Neil Harrison

Derico

RE: Update 1435Z

Fri Dec 24, 1999 1:31 am

Mine too. That is sad. It could have been the sun, but it would not be the first time a college student acted irresponsably...(just a thought.)
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

deltairlines

RE: Two Cessnas Collide In Masschusetts

Fri Dec 24, 1999 5:06 am

I saw it on WBZ (Ch. 4 Boston). Pilot of one was dead when I last checked.

Jeff