Mike77
Topic Author

PEOPLExpress Questions.

Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:45 am

I was too young to really follow PEOPLExpress. I'd like to hear from anyone who had flown on it. What was it like? Also, I am curious what cities the airline served at the time of its absorption into Continental. Thanks!

Michael

747400sp

RE: PEOPLExpress Questions.

Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:59 am

I believe Continental got EWR hub from PEOPLExpress.

aa757first

Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:06 am

Well, I have never flown them (obviously) but I have done some reading on them. PEOPLExpress was a super-low frills carrier based in EWR. People purchased 737-100 from Lufthansa. Lufthansa placed 96 seats in their -100s while People put 118. By the end, People had 737-100, 727-200, and 747s. Their is a website (where I got most of this information) all about People.

http://airtransportbiz.free.fr/Airlines/PEOPLExpress.html

744rules

Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:29 am

They had 6 flights a week ewr-bru-ewr, and 1 oak-bru-oak (oak changed to sfo later). They flew also into LGW but don't know the frequency.

747buff

Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:35 am

People was merged into CO on February 1, 1987. I have a copy of their last timetable (issued 11/20/86), so here are the cities they served around the time of the merger:

Newark (main hub)
Burlington, VT
Portland, ME
Boston, MA
Hartford, CT
New Bedford, CT
Farmingdale, NY
Albany, NY
Syracuse, NY
Buffalo, NY
Rochester, NY
Providence, RI
Allentown, PA
Philadelphia, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Baltimore, MD
Washington, DC (served both IAD and CA / KDCA), USA - Virginia">DCA)
Norfolk, VA
Raleigh/Durham, MC
Charlotte, NC
Atlanta, GA
Jacksonville, FL
Orlando, FL
St. Petersburg, FL
Sarasota/Bradenton, FL
West Palm Beach, FL
Detroit, MI
Cleveland, OH
Cincinnati, OH
Columbus, OH
St. Louis, MO
Chicago, IL (O'Hare)
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
Houston, TX (Hobby)
Denver, CO
Los Angeles, CA
San Francisco, CA
London, England (Gatwick)
Brussels, Belgium
At Eastern, we earn our wings every day!

L1011

Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:57 am

I flew on quite a few PeoplExpress flights and I enjoyed them. The only things I didn't like were the seat pitch and the old Newark terminal, which was crowded beyond belief. The flight crews were friendly and safety-conscious. Before doing their safety demonstration, flight attendants would insist that you put down your reading material and pay attention to this important information. My flights were always on time, and I never missed a connection. Interiors were completely new, including wall panels and seats. Seat covers were of a very durable material, and they were tan with vertical stripes of purple and possibly other colors, I really don't remember. I flew on some of the same 737-100s that I had flown on with Lufthansa, and you wouldn't know they were the same planes. I also flew on the 737-200 and the 727-200. Flight attendants would come through the cabin selling food and drinks, and fares were collected in-flight, kind of like they did on the Eastern Air-Shuttle. I really miss PeoplExpress.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

andersjt

Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:36 am

I was an F/A working for Frontier when they were acquired by PeopleExpress. Our union contract prevented us from working PEx flights, but passengers making connections in DEN from PEx flights to FL flights often complained about the disparity in service. I was told the F/A's actually wore change belts as pax paid for beverages, snacks and event tickets on board.

Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!