JumboBumbo
Topic Author

More International Airlines At DEN?

Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:52 am

Since service to DEN by BA and LH seems to be going well, what other non-American carriers might give a go at DEN. I'd think maybe at least AF could make it work. If the metro areas tech boom gets back on track perhaps JL?

luv2fly

RE: More International Airlines At DEN?

Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:55 am

Well it would make sense for the airlines that belong to the same alliance that UA does to consider DIA.
You can cut the irony with a knife

PHXinterrupted

Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:18 am

You should ask former mayor Webb Wellington. After all, he spent tens of thousands of dollars flying to France and other places trying to attract foreign airlines. At least he got some nice trips at the taxpayers' expense.
Keepin' it real.

JumboBumbo
Topic Author

Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:23 am

Phxinterrupted - LOL

I always thought that it was funny that Webb, a Democrat, and Governor Owens, a Republican from Texas, used to go on a lot of those business development trips together. It's funny how people can set aside philosophical differences when there's $$$ involved  Smile

dinker225

Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:34 am

Korean Air flew to Denver for awhile. I don't believe they still do. Not sure why they stopped or what routes they flew but they used to fly here.

Dinker
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.

LambertMan

Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:19 pm

Dinker225, from a passenger standpoint the KE DEN flight was a massive failure. They averaged something like 83 pax. Wow! However the cargo loads on the flight did well, and kept it around for a little while. To answer any doubt in your head, the flight is cancelled. Look for DEN to get a flight to NRT in the future when things pick back up, most likely on ANA.

JumboBumbo
Topic Author

Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:30 pm

You're correct, Dinker225:

Korean did fly to DEN for a while in the mid 90's but ceased very shortly after beginning service. The main problem, from what I recall in the news, was that they're service was direct rather than non-stop. I.e., there was a stop in LAX between GMP and DEN without a flight number or equipment change. This resulted in most of the pax on board the 744 they used deplaning for good in LAX. They haven't been back since. There are, however, still some good photos in the database...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © DIAspotter

I think the only way for it to be successful is to do Asia-DEN nonstop. I'd really like to see Korean do ICN-DEN, or JAL/ANA do NRT-DEN nonstop with 772ER's. I'd probably pay $800 rt for this. This is probably a way off though due to the lagging economy both here and in Asia, SARS, 9/11, etc.

TokyoNarita

Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:08 pm

I would imagine KE has more chance at SLC than DEN considering KE is buddy buddy with DL.

As far as ANA, once the demand returns, I think they would start back up in ORD before DEN.

As far as JAL, once the demand returns, they might try to bring back NRT-DFW.

Just my opinion.

TokyoNarita.