ManxATP
Topic Author

Was It Correct To 'nationalise' Aurigny

Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:19 am

I am interested to find out how other people felt about the fact the Guernsey states has bought up Aurigny Air Services. The company seemed fairly prosperous and had expanded over recent years. I find it hard to believe they needed state assistance to operate the LGW service, even in competition with FlyBE. Since the Billet d'Etat authorising the purchase the airline has announced further expansion into Jersey, which appears out of the remit of the Guernsey states. I can understand the obvious objections of FlyBE, although personally I don't rate their product. I am also interested if anybody has any information about the service on Aurigny in comparison to competition on Channel Island services (all the older tourists like their tea and cake!!)

Capital146

RE: Was It Correct To 'nationalise' Aurigny

Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:28 pm

I have mixed feelings on this subject, but overall I don't think Aurigny being nationalised is a good thing.

My personal view is that this was something of a panic measure from Guernsey States as they have seen BA first of all cease flights to MAN last year and now pull the plug on the LGW route (thus ending scheduled BA flights from GCI). Aurigny has already picked up the MAN route and I think when they decided to take over LGW as well the States just thought that they cannot run the risk of the route failing and services to London being lost.

Whilst FlyBe offers its own services on GCI-LGW and remain committed to these, the States probably thought that it was too much of a gamble to rely on FlyBe as you never know when a reorganisation may take place and possibly cause the route to be shelved.

The States saw the opportunity to safeguard vital airlinks to the island and took control of Aurigny. On the negative side, if Aurigny's routes make losses, then the tax payers of Guernsey carry the can. It also means that the competition for FlyBe is not on a level playing field. I can see why they thought it needed to be done (though as I say, it seems like a panic measure) but the thought of possible subsidised routes against the competition just doesn't seem right.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos