BOSugaDL
Topic Author

Cost Of A New C/s?

Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:30 pm

I was just wondering how an airline like NW can slap a new c/s on all there planes while loosing money? The research and product testing must be rather expensive. With that, pulling the plans out of service and the actual cost of painting the plans must hurt the airline's wallets. It seems that a new c/s is not the most important thing and airline should be worrying about....Especially when they are receiving checks from the government,checks written with our tax dollars(those of us from the US anyway)

JAL777

RE: Cost Of A New C/s?

Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:33 pm

When an airplane goes in for a D check, its completely stripped and repainted. It is then that an airline repaints its planes without unscheduled downtime.

flyf15

Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:36 pm

Some of your concerns are indeed valid, such as the design and research into the new product. But, one major misconception is that it airlines specifically pull their airplanes from service and repaint them. During some of the more advanced maintenance checks, all the paint has to be removed from the airplane. When it is time to repaint it, it is simply painted in the new colors instead of the old. This is why it usually takes so long for airlines to get their entire fleet painted. These maintenance checks don't come up that often.

744rules

Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:46 pm

It also depends if the carriers just wants to change the c/s or change the whole image. As an example I would like to take SIA. When they changed to their "rainbow" livery, they not only repainted two a/c for promotion, but they also changed all the china. If on top of that you want to change all the slogans, logo's on all of your promotion material, tickets, invoices, .... the total amount of the changes raises very fast.

Leezyjet

Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:56 pm

From what I understand from when this was discussed on here ages ago, the old NW colour scheme cost alot of money to maintain compared to what the new colour scheme will cost, so in the long run they will actually be saving money.

Personally, I think if an airline wants to change it's colour scheme they should get on the net and ask some of the people out there to do it and give them a chance to show what they can do. Some of the schemes I've seen that people have come up with on the net are way way better than what the airlines pay millions of $$$ for to some design company, and they could save some money by offering a small cash sum and maybe free flights for life to the winner.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

Sjoerd

Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:55 am

A new color scheme can make an airline more attractive, it could be seen as an investment to become profitable again.
Flanders + Wallonnia + Brussels = the UNITED STATES of BELGIUM

Jaspike

Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:05 am

Aeroflot are spending $10 million to promote their brand.

http://www.gateway2russia.com/st/art_130853.php

Josh