Capital146
Topic Author

Ryanair More Punctual Than US Airlines

Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:49 am

Not content with claiming to offer the lowest fares and most punctual service in Europe (and I'll agree to so far being a very happy customer of theirs), Ryanair have now in their wisdom decided to claim to be more punctual than any of the US major carriers, though what the point of this is when they don't compete with any of them heaven only knows!!!.
Anyway, for your information, here are the latest figures for ontime arrivals (ie within 15mins of scheduled arrival time) that were kindly supplied on the Ryanair website:

Ryanair 92%
Southwest 85.4%
America West 85.2%
United 84.4%
Jetblue 84.4%
Northwest 83.3%
Delta 82%
Alaska 81.9%
Continental 81.4%
American Eagle 81.2%
AA 80.5%
US Airways 77.7%

Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

luv2fly

RE: Ryanair More Punctual Than US Airlines

Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:59 am

Also since they do fly to less congested airports, let us compare apples to apples. Break out the routes where they do have competition and then lets talk.
You can cut the irony with a knife

HlywdCatft

Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:06 am

How many European airports make the top ten list in terms of aircraft movements?

Does Ryan Air even serve LHR?

Southwest doesnt fly into ORD or ATL- the two busiest, but they fly into LAX, DTW, PHX and LAS which are in the top 10.

Capital146
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:14 am

Even as someone who likes Ryanair, I saw right through this as being a somewhat suspect piece of marketing hype! The only "busy" airports Ryanair serve are DUB, MAN, BHX and STN which by comparison to LAX, DTW, ORD, IAD, etc, etc, are nothing. Thought this post might ruffle a few feathers with our American friends, keep your comments coming!

gkirk

Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:39 am

Capital146, I would include LGW as a busy airport  Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Capital146
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:06 am

Oops, yes GKirk, a somewhat major oversight missing LGW off my FR busy list I agree!

B747-4U3

Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:20 am

As far as I can see you are comparing apples with apples. You are comparing two airlines. The fact that Ryanair flies to less congested airports is irrelevant. This stat simply shows on-time reliability, and in that category, Ryanair win.

UN_B732

Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:22 am

oh yeah, and does WN have a lot of congestions?
-UN
What now?

DoorsToManual

Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:30 am

Ryanair 92%

Ok, I always seem to be in the 8% then.....

CPH-R

Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:36 am

I'll still go for the comparing apples with oranges. FR has nowhere near the same chances of getting into either a gate hold, airfield congestion or anything like the other airlines.

As for WN, they do fly to LAX right? I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the majority of that delay is coming from. Try giving FR some LHR routes, and we'll see how good their on-time reliability is. Until then, you can't really compare them to major airlines.

clipperno1

Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:45 am

Somebody fire their marketing idiots. Hate this kind of aggressive advertisement and there is a lot of luv missing in that airline, which claims to be the european WN.
anyway...how I comment these statistics:
1. Most airports they fly to, can only be reached by air and they are the only ones flying there. Metro-Airports in the are congested and on 75% of my flights to/in the us my flights are put into holding patterns before landing.

2. Except WN and B6, all the mentioned carriers run on hub-and-spoke systems, where one delay can lead to a dozen more delays. Being the world's biggest airline and getting a rating of 84.4% is far more impressing than connecting some farm airports on time.
"I really don't know one plane from the other. To me they are just marginal costs with wings."� Alfred Kahn, 1977

Pe@rson

Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:46 am

From the lay person's point-of-view, these figures would be highly welcomed. They would probably not know about the congestion so would take these figures at face value. Accordingly, they would be pleased.

The business-consumer relationship is mainly about perception - if the average consumer believes Ryanair to be remarkably punctual, for example, then it will only add to its competitive advantage. The fact that these figures are comparing an European airline to those in America is irrelevant.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Goose

Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:57 am

Those figures probably reflect controllable delays and how they affect OTP. In other words, how many times it's the airline's fault that an aircraft gets delayed.... due to maintenance, ground loading, and so on. They absolutely do not factor in weather delays or other "acts of god" delays, or problems such as ATC or ramp congestion, and so on.... again, it's often just a reflection on how often the aircraft are delayed due to circumstances the airline can directly control.

That's probably closer to the truth - and trust me, I've played this game before.
"Talk to me, Goose..."

kl911

Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:24 am

Why give FR a LHR route to try? Their stategy is focused on smaller airports, quicker checkin, quicker turnarounds, the customers love it, and they are the ones making most profit.......

777236ER

Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:40 am

Somebody fire their marketing idiots.

Marketing IDIOTS?! Ryanair marketting is genius. The public LOVE Ryanair and easyJEt advertising. You may not agree with it, but it gets passengers to fly the airline, which is all that counts. BA may have "respectable" adverts, but if a middle aged American doesn't get people to fly BA with giant posters with low BA prices on, and Ryanair's hooey statistics can, then who's the bigger idiot?
Your bone's got a little machine

kl911

Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:56 am

Their marketing is Super!! AND, It really works!!

Pe@rson

Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:41 am

FR is the most profitable airline in Europe - and this is growing! I think that this speaks for itself.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

styles

Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:28 am

Michael O'Leary is on record as saying the only way he would ever operate in and out of LHR is if the BAA paid him to do so. I agree with him. LHR is a dog box that is at the best of times a miserable airport to arrive, depart or conect from. What is up with the those 1940s/1950s relics of tunnels in T1?

JETSET123

Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:26 am

One reason why Ryanair is so punctual is that if an aircraft goes tech or has to divert then some of the time the next flight is simply cancelled.

Last year at Hahn our inbound 737-800 diverted to Saarbrucken, but as opposed to bussing us to Saabrucken, the airline cancelled the return flight and positioned the aircraft back to Stansted empty so keeping their schedule and all important stats on track.

Spacepope

Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:31 am

I think pprune had a topic on this years ago, stating that pilots got a bonus depending on how many minutes early that they arrived at the gate. The earlier, the greater the incentive. Who knows, might work in the states too.

T.J.
The last of the famous international playboys

StevenUhl777

Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:42 am

The best analysis would be to rank the airline's on-time performance at each of the largest US hubs (i.e. LAX, SFO, DEN, IAD, ORD, DFW, ATL, DTW, MSP, JFK, MIA, BOS) to see how things REALLY shake out. Do the same for the major international cities like NRT, LHR, YYZ, CDG, FRA, et. al.

I'm sure that data has to be compiled someplace...

And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos