CV990
Topic Author

Saw A C-54 Skymaster Flying Today!

Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:12 am

Hi!

I was on my way home after picking my boys from the school when my older son said - "Dad look, another DC-7 comming!" - I looked up and I was astonished, it was not a DC-7 but yes a C-54 waterbomber ready to land at FAT. I imediately drove to the place were the water bombers park and there it was, a C-54, beautifull maintained and receiving some more water retardant to go back to the fire ( actually there were also two S-2T Trackers and one S-2A Tracker involved too in this task... ). When I parked the car, ahead of me it was a Fresno PD car, so before I took out my camera I talked to the policeman and asked if it was ok to photograph the C-54, he said it was ok and I took some photos. A few minutes latter the C-54 was ready to return to the fire, so it started to fire the engines, Nr. 1, Nr. 2, Nr. 3 and Nr. 4, all of them with a nice cloud of smoke comming out when the engines started, then it was time to taxi to the runway, it had to wait a bit because some traffic was landing ( 2 California Air National Guard F-16C's ) and then it was time to see that beauty taking off, it was fantastic, those piston engines really are special, the plane slowly builted speed and finnally took-off, very,very slowly started to climb until I lost him. It was just fantastic, a 60 years old C-54!!!
Last time I saw one and don't even recall too well was a C-54 in LIS in 1979, so almost 25 years latter I have the chance to see another one!
Here under here's a photo of the same bird I saw today!

Registration - N9015Q
Operator - ARDCO

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael Carter

Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos