upsmd11

Would America West Compete With Southwest

Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:17 am

Living in SDF I'm always interested in getting a new airline to come to town. WN already has non-stop service to PHX from SDF, once per day, plus once a day LAS service.

A 319 from America West would be great here in SDF. Of course I know the loads would have to support it, etc. But my question still remains: Would America West attempt to compete with Southwest on a route such as this?

Thanks,
John

RE: Would America West Compete With Southwest

Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:48 am

They compete with Southwest on dozens of routes.

I suspect if America West thought that SDF service would make them money, they would start it.

Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:59 am

A319? Keep dreaming  Smile. If HP offered SDF-PHX, it'd be on a CR7 or CR9...

flyCMH

Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:16 am

I personally would not expect to see America West expand much more East of the Mississippi. They flat out failed in their attempt to secure a place in the East Coast with the former CMH hub, and it really does seem like their focus will remain to be the West's premier airline. It would definitely be great to see them start more service out East to cities like SDF, PVD, ORF, BHM, etc, but sending one A319 a day to these marginal markets that already have pretty significant Southwest service, and many of whose citizen have probably never even heard of America West, might not right for the airline at the moment. Now, had America West introduced service to these cities through Columbus, maybe they could have gained enough name recognition to then introduce the West to these cities with nonstop service to PHX. But who knows, maybe we will see America West bring more service to the East Coast (other than to the major business centers like BOS and JFK). However for the time being, I see America West sticking to what they're good at, and that means covering the West.

upsmd11

Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:23 am

I agree with the points made. The aircraft type could certainly be something smaller than a 319 but having a west coast hub from a midwest city is great for people who want to travel west. I'm sure the WN route is doing well because people know of WN. They have changed the equipment on this route from a 735 to a 73G I think so the loads must be getting better.

Hopefully when the economy picks up and air travel gets back on the track is was we'll see more east to west service out of SDF. A flight to PHX on HP or a flight to DEN on UA would be great -- even on a non-mainline jet.

Cheers,
John