AvObserver
Topic Author

Anyone Fly Continental 777 EWR To HKG And Back?

Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:24 am

Something I'm thinking about for another 'flying' adventure. No, I don't particularly want to go to Hong Kong but I've heard this flight crosses the polar arctic regions; that appeals to me. I MUST add that I can only do an Economy class flight; 1st class costs nearly seven times as much. 15 hours, 45 minutes EACH way is a long time to be in a relatively cramped coach seat but if I can stand 7 hours in a tight BA seat to England, I can probably also do it for nearly 16 (but with a bit of leg massaging at the end). I don't plan to spend much time in Hong Kong but any insights on hotels and sights to see would be welcome. Has anyone done this trip in coach class and survived to tell me?  Big grin Thanks!

artsyman

RE: Anyone Fly Continental 777 EWR To HKG And Back?

Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:44 pm

I've done this trip before, and it is a hell of a long time to be stuck in a metal tube far across the earth. Luckily I did both legs in Businessfirst, but whatever cabin you are in, it is certainly an adventure. I actually posted a trip report on airliners via the satellite phone as we were over the North Pole.

Do it...

Jeremy

Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:47 pm

Not CO, but UA from JFK-HKG and back in coach. Looooong flight. But I was lucky that I had the row all by myself, so I could streach my legs a bit.

I also did JFK-ICN (about 13 hours) in a jam packed 744. That was pretty painful!!

N79969

Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:05 pm

I flew the less formidable, yet respectable ORD-HKG-ORD flight. You fly over some beautiful and rugged terrain on the way. I really enjoyed that trip. Hong Kong is a very interesting place. Stay in Kowloon. Visit Victoria Peak. Hong Kong is the original cool blend of exotic and modern. Spend at least 4 days there. Singapore is sterile in comparison.

futureualpilot

Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:09 pm

I too have done the ORD-HKG-ORD flights on UA, as well as LAX-SYD-LAX and SFO-SYD-LAX....both sets are truly brutal, unless you do have a row to yourself(which I did ORD-HKG). Be sure to get up, stretch, and walk around a lot!
Life is better when you surf.

traveler

Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:48 pm

Hello AvObserver,

I would also like to fly CO 777 to HKG as well just for the heck of it. I would like to know when the low season is because I can get a cheap travel agent fare. One day may be!

I hope you get there !

Shenzhen

Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:23 pm

If in Hong Kong, don't forget to visit a Shenzhen barber shop  Smile

upsmd11

Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:24 pm

I know it's not a first hand account but my best friend flew the route so no first hand stories but he took some cool video when flying over the North Pole. He was in BusinessFirst which made the trip enjoyable. CO treated him very well with lots of great food and entertainment. I hope to fly this route one day when I go to HKG.

Cheers,
John

hkg82

Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:45 pm

Speaking of UA's ORD-HKG-ORD service, when my sis flew to ORD last year, her flight with UA on the HKG-ORD leg turned out to be a 22 hour nightmare. A couple of hours into the flight, there was a medical emergency onboard involving an elderly lady & they had to divert to NRT (UA's Asian hub & nearest airport) and after a few hours on the ground the flight continued its course to ORD. Nobody was allowed out (I thought that was strange) so at the end of the journey when they finally landed in O'Hare, she was onboard for 22 hours!! I'd go crazy if I was inside a plane for that long.....

Hkg82.

AvObserver
Topic Author

Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:12 am

Thanks for all your responses. Traveler, I don't know when the low season is for this flight but Economy class right now for this flight is around $960.00 USD while BusinessFirst was over $6700.! I'd only do Economy, my 747/Concorde trip was nearly $4100-that was costly enough for me; I'm not a 'high-roller'. Think I'll be fine with that. Really want to try out the 777 and the polar route sounds cool! Think I'll make a reservation soon. Thanks all!  Big grin