magicalchaz

Thai To Fly Direct To Kiev

Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:27 am

According to The Nation Newspaper today it states that...

"Thai Airways International will begin direct flights to the Ukraine next year as part of a plan to increase trade and commerce with the former Soviet republic.

Piyabutr Cholvijarn, the vice minister of Commerce Ministry, also said that following elections next year, the Ukrainian president will visit the Kingdom to strengthen links between the two countries...."

(Taken from The Nation Newspaper 29/08/03)
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/page.news.php3clid=6&id=19844&usrsess=1

I have some questions to ask...

1. Is there any market between Thailand and Ukraine?
2. What type of the aircrafts Thai will be using on this route? (I guess Thai will be using their A300-600 or A330-300.)
3. What is the frequency? (Hopefully 3 per weeks.)

Thanks in advance for more information.
Best Regards.

RE: Thai To Fly Direct To Kiev

Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:07 am

Good to see Asian airlines flying into the former Soviet block, Asiana in Uzbekistan, China Southern in Kazakhstan and Kyrghyzstan, Cathay Pacific planning Kazakhstan and now this bit of news, hope it comes about, as for frequency and equipment, I would expect twice weekly with a 777 or A330. I read in an article that Malaysia Airlines have rights to Kazakhstan and Kyrghyzstan and Singapore Airlines also have agreements to Kazakhstan and Latvia.

UN_B732

Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:22 am

uh-oh, they are gonna go head to head with VV?
KBP-NRT could work.
-UN
What now?

hkg82

Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:03 am

Aerosvit already does KBP-BKK-KBP twice per week with the 763. Wouldn’t think the market between Ukraine & Thailand is big enough to support a second carrier, but it apparently is…..

Thai is an ambitious & expansive airline that takes on big risks to strengthen its global reach & they've been largely successful so far. Good on them. I hope this new route proves to be a success.

Hkg82.

slawko

Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:18 am

Thai and Aerosvit just signed a large code share agreement and so you will likly see co-operation on this route rather then competition...the two airlines announced big plans to co-operate on a number of interasian routes...there is more information on the aerosvit website. http://www.aerosvit.com I would tend to think that there is a market for this kind of route as there is large demand from tour groups in eastern europe to travel to Bangkok, I understand that 45-50% of the Aerosvit traffic originates in other eastern European nations...
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada