AeroAussie
Topic Author

SAA JFK-PERvv

Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:09 am

I'm going to be going back to Australia for christmas, and I'm thinking of doing it on SAA, as they offer the shortest routing from JFK. Anyone have any experience with them long-haul? Decent seat pitch in coach? (Will be flying 744s and 743s, if that helps...) Will I arrive in Perth ready to kill myself, or feeling refreshed? Any input, positive or negative, is welcome.
THANKS!
-Nick

tbear815

RE: SAA JFK-PERvv

Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:17 am

Just out of curiosity, what is the duration of that trip?

N863DA

Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:12 am

I flew the ATL-PER trip about two or three years ago.
Let me tell you... once you reach Jo'burg and you have a long layover... and then another ten hour flight... you'll be ready to just about KILL yourself.

I was in Business Class... and it was truly the most daunting challenge to just get back on the airplane in Jo'burg. Of course, I did it and had a great time in Oz.

It is a LONG flight... but just be prepared to fly for 16-18hrs non-stop and then the hop from CPT-JNB (one-stop on the way back, via Sal Island), in addition to a six or so hour layover, and then another 12hrs (door to door) to Perth, and you should be fine....

Wipe it out in your mind and you'll do fine... it's ALL psychological.

It's no picnic, but it's better than traversing two entire continents AND a huge ocean.

N 8 6 3 D A

copaair737

Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:30 am

i would take this route... it seems it would be shorter than the kangaroo route to SYD, and then across the continent again...shorter than taking qantas via lax and syd too...i would take this if i were going to PER
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

ConcordeBoy

Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:31 am

It's no picnic, but it's better than traversing two entire continents AND a huge ocean.

Actually.... JFK-LAX-SYD-PER is more than 1000mi shorter than JFK-JNB-PER, and also offers more connection/stop-over opportunities should anything unplanned occur. I'd call that the better deal.

[Edited 2003-08-30 00:32:38]
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Ansett767

Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:58 am

Your routing might be a bit long - JFK to Joburg is about 16 hours, then say 4 hours layover, followed by a 10 hour perth flight - thats 30 hours.

JFK to LAX is about 6, pluys 2 hour layover, plus 14 hours to Syd, plus 2 hour layover, plus 4 hours to Perth is 28 if you get good connection times. PLus you dont have 2 long haul flights- you'll have 2 medium and one long haul.

Although I rate SAA much higher than QF or UA, I don't know which option I'd choose. I reckon QF's IFE would be better now... with PTVs. but the Food and Service on SAA I always find fantastic. Also their seat pitch used to be 34" which I think has now been standardised to 33 or 32" on the 744's - Does anyone know?

I haven't flown SAA for a few years now, but used to fly them very regularly in the late 90's. They were super.... (compared to QF) but average (compared to SQ).

AeroAussie
Topic Author

Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:25 am

ConcordeBoy, you're a little off the mark. JFK-JNB-PER is definitely shorter than JFK-LAX-SYD-PER. Total travel time via JNB is 26hr 25min with connections. (It's only 2 hours in JoBerg.) Total time with QF/AA is 30:25. So, while mileage-wise it may be shorter (I haven't looked yet) it is definitely quicker through JNB. I've done this (NYC-PER) through LAX/SYD before, as well as LHR/SIN, and YVR/HKG. The routing through JNB is defintely the shortest, and the only option to have only one-stop and stay on the same airline. (Yes, I know, SAA stops at SID on the way back, but you can't always win.) Anyway, if anyone finds anything shorter/cheaper, do let me know!
Thanks again,
Nick

9V-SVE

Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:01 pm

How about taking Malaysian from EWR-DXB and Emirates from DXB-PER? Its only 1 stop and 12,470 miles...

nickofatlanta

Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:05 pm

Have you looked into EWR - DXB on MH (very cheap fares on their web-site at the moment - about $400r/t) and then DXB - PER on EH? That would be one-stop in both directions. EH prices out at $800 online, but you should be able to get something cheaper.

AeroAussie
Topic Author

Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:40 am

I will give that a try.

nickofatlanta

Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:38 am

Good stuff, AeroAussie. Please let us know what you decide upon.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos