airNondo

LH PDX-FRA

Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:30 pm

If anyone has flown the new Lufthansa PDX-FRA service please let me know how it was. Was the flight full? how was the service?
Thanks.

cschleic

RE: LH PDX-FRA

Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:44 pm

I did it back in April, a couple of weeks after flights started. There were five or ten empty seats at most in economy. Don't know about business and first. But the first two months had some great introductory deals. There are a few older threads out there with observations about loads since then. Sounds as if loads have been good through the summer. Time will tell if they hold up.

Service was fine - my first time on Lufthansa. There were two movies each way, dinner and breakfast going over, don't recall exactly what coming back. But food was good compared to other airlines. They came through with beverages several times. It's a long flight. Lufthansa has its own ticket counter in Portland, rather than sharing with United and other Star carriers. Agents didn't appear to be full time Lufthansa employees.

kwbl

Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:03 am

I flew the route back in April. It was pretty full going over and decent coming back. You can go to the PDX website and check aviation statistics. It tells you how many people flew LH and number of flights. Each LH flight carries 247 pax so you can figure out LF for the month. So far they are around 83% and they are carrying quite a bit of cargo. I was checking for flights late this year and several days are completely booked in all classes. As for the service, it was really good-constant flow of beverages, 2 meals which were decent (not great but better than average), 2 movies and some cartoons, and friendly attendants.

Paddy

Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:06 pm

Sounds like good news to me. Steady loads are a good sign even though the cargo alone could probably keep the service going. I've heard this factor is crucial and that LH is pleased with the cargo yields out of PDX. Hopefully I will be in a position to give the service a try next summer. DXB or BOM would be interesing destinations. Is there a Star Alliance credit card by any chance? Or some other way of earning FF miles? Even though it costs more I would like to support LH. Considering where LH flies to out of FRA, its just amazing what this service has opened up for PDX. So many destinations with just one connection!

Paulianer

Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:31 pm

There is a Lufthansa Miles and More Visa and Visa Gold Credit card, but I think you need a german bank account for that deal... but I'm not sure...

Check it out

http://www.miles-and-more.com/mam/de/en/emi/0,3678,0-0-502511,00.html

Greetings
Tobi
Tobias Rose - Hamburg (HAM/EDDH) & (XFW/EDHI) - Canon EOS D60 - ICQ: 235621277 - MSN: Tobias.Rose@gmx.de

SailorOrion

Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:28 pm

I find it interesting that the load factor on the inbound flights is much higher than on the outbound flights. Why is that? Poor connections?

SailorOrion

UA 777

Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:29 pm

@Paddy

There is an offer for a LH Miles and More Credit Card in the US, just try the following link, you will find everything there:

http://cms.lufthansa.com/fly/us/en/mam/0,,0-0-871148,00.html

regards

Leneld

Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:32 am

I think it's great that PDX finally has a nonstop flight to Europe and I hope that Lufthansa will remain here. But I was wondering could Portland support another European nonstop flight in the future or do you think, this will be it for us? I was just fantasizing maybe a daily flight to London on BA also......

MAH4546

Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:21 am

But I was wondering could Portland support another European nonstop flight in the future or do you think, this will be it for us?

I doubt it. This is pretty much it. British Airways would be nice, but it would require changes in the US-UK air treaty. Portland is not a US-London gateway.
a.

LambertMan

Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:09 am

Leneld,
MAH is right. Besides, I think a PDX-FRA flight is pushing the evnelope in the first place.

Leneld

Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:52 am

I really don't understand some of these responses. If Portland couldn't support at least 1 daily nonstop to Europe, then why is Lufthansa here? Were they in such desperate need to find an airport to deploy thier plane's just for the hell of it....If I'm not mistaken Lufthansa has been eyeing PDX for years and I'm pretty sure that they did thier homework before making this financially risky decision.....