Leneld
Topic Author

Spotting At PDX

Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:33 am

First I would like to thank the Port of portland for adding move levels to the garage several years ago. With this addition the garage is truly an awsome location for viewing plane activities on both the north and south runway. Now that the north runway is under repair, the south runway experience reminds me of San Diego international since it only has a single runway and is bustling with activity. Also, today I had the honor of witnessing a C-5 lift off utilizing only 4000 ft. of the 11,000 ft. South runway before rotation. I was completely blown away of the sight of this mammoth Aircraft. I wish that I could locate the Military flights schedule out of PDX because I would love to see that bird agian. Does anyone know if PDX has a true peak hour period and when?

BlatantEcho

RE: Spotting At PDX

Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:57 am

hehe, I spot from the 7th story too  Smile

You can hop from one side to the other to make sure you don't miss anything.

George
They're not handing trophies out today

Leneld
Topic Author

Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:32 am

your right blantantEcho! But I'm still hoping one day the Port will reopen the original spotting location off of Marine Drive. This area is ideal for spotting during the winter months. I never understood why the Port permanently locked the gated entrance. I wonder if 9/11 had anything to do with it...... From my observation, there always appeared to be a number of people plane spotting. Even now that the gate is closed, they're still out there in large numbers. Maybe we should protest to the port. Just kidding...

cschleic

Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:00 pm

They closed it right after 9/11, but as was said above, people often park right outside to watch planes. I've even seen police cars parked there. There are plenty of wide spots along Marine drive. A couple of weeks ago I also saw other cars parked, and I spent about an hour, in the dirt lot at the east end of the south runway. Great for approaches. Busy times seem to be early morning for departures, and arrivals mid-day. Weekdays are better for cargo, although I used to see a bunch of cargo arrivals on Sunday evenings. Haven't been out in the evening in a long time.