QF Safety Demos

Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:50 am

This summer I flew Qantas 6 times and their safety demos were on the TV monitors as well as live by the f/as. Why do they do this? Usually its one or the other...

RE: QF Safety Demos

Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:35 pm

Aq737 - I think it is a safety and security rule that must be followed, maybe by CASA (the Australian verion of the FAA). It has always been done by Australian carriers.

Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:45 pm

It is not a regulatory requirement, more just a realisation that some people pay more attention to live demonstrations than they do to videos. Also, FA's doing the demonstration can actually point out the nearest exit, something not possible with the video.

Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:08 pm

International aircraft with PTVs no longer feature main cabin screens. In the First and Business cabin pax cannot be relied upon to remove the PTV from its stowage to watch the video demo. Therefore it is done by FAs in all cabins, accompanying the video with soundtrack over the cabin speakers. The video is designed to be heard and not seen for this purpose. The Economy customers with both a PTV in front of them and an FA in their section have the benefits of viewing both as Thadocta points out.

Domestic aircraft feature both FAs and videos to maintain consistency and again this serves as a benefit as the pax may get more out of one or the other.

Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:45 pm

I think it's very charming having live-demo too.
I wondered about translation - they explained in english and german (on qf 5/6) but with different content.
They explained a and b in english, a, b, c in german. Then c, d and e in english, then d and e in german. was a little strange.

Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:51 pm

I think the video maybe in a foreign language, it was when I flew QF 18months ago,

Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:26 pm

It is not peculiar to QF. Malaysia Airlines does that too... However, the FAs only gesture during the part of the video that depicts evacuation via the nearest emergency exit. Thus, the FAs stands there pretty throughout the whole video just to wait for the part where they finally lift their arms and thumb towards the exit.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:53 pm

Its partly australian aviation culture too!
Near enough isn't good enough...if you can do more
as far as safety and professionalism is concerned, than
you simply must do it! Hence the Legendary repuation
Qantas has in this area.

I think Air New Zealand also do it, and Ansett of course always

Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:01 am

I also think that, if passengers see flight-attendents watching them, passengers try to be "good passengers" and show that they are interrested in safety-instructions.
Also: watching TV is an every-day's-"event".
Anybody noticed that lots of passengers want to demonstrate their frequent-status in ignoring safety-announcements?

Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:49 pm

Ive heard the NZ crews do charlies angels poses to point to exits. That would be a great way to get a passengers attention LOL
I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. Jerome K Jerome

Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:39 pm

lol@Marara, the QF-"angels" don't get attention I fear.
Maybe in busi or first, but not in Eco.