flybynight

Tracking Flights

Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:11 pm

I can't imagine I am the only one who thinks tracking flights on the internet is just the most cool thing. Gotta love modern technology
Heia Norge!

lga1011

RE: Tracking Flights

Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:40 pm

I like tracking flights when a family member flies, I just what to make sure everything is okay. Do you think if you are tracking a flight and the plane crashes would say so?

AirVB

Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:33 pm

Yes, it is a nice convenience to watch a friend or relative's aircraft in the air. I also like the airport monitors (at http://www.passur.com) that show the flights around the major airports, in my case LAX.

AirVB

KAL744

Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:16 am

Me also like fight tracking. But unfortunately there seems to be no flight tracking program for Europe. As I am living in Germany for me it would be more interesting to track a flight from AMS to ATH or something like that instead tracking flights within the U.S or between Europe and U.S.
fly Korean Air ....

tommy767

Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:30 am

Tracking flights is always fun!
If you want a good website, try Flightarrivals.com. You get specific flights from almost all the airports in the US and also international destinations. You can also see specific flights if you like. The site is really top notch!
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

IFLYMCO

Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:56 am

Does anyone else use the AirNav program? I downloaded it several months ago to track friends/relatives trips to Europe etc. and now I'm addicted to it. Does anyone else know of the program and how accurate it is?

Have a good one!  Smile
Now it should be "IFLYDCA"

philhyde

Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:58 am

Yes, I use the airnav product. I was disappointed to learn, after I bought it, that it's restricted to a certain number of hours per month. I'd love to leave that thing running all the time!
Canon junkie - Aviation Nut

jhooper

Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:17 am

Do you think if you are tracking a flight and the plane crashes would say so?

I don't know of a single flight tracker which would actually tell you if the plane crashes. In fact, after the FedEx 727 crashed last year in Florida, FBOWEB said the plane had "landed". Flight explorer would probably just "age out" the flight, but there can be many more reasons a plane would age out besides crashing, like lost radar contact, etc.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

pilottim747

Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:55 am

I've gotten caught into the flight tracking addiction as well. I've used Flight Explorer Personal a couple times. I don't think it's as nice as AirNav but it's a reasonable $9.95/month for 10 hours (can't leave it on).

Without having to pay for anything my other favorite link is Flytecomm. I love this one because you can look at all the airline arrivals for a specific airport for within 24 hours. Flightarrivals.com is good too but they limit you to very small time frames.

There are two limitations that are hard to accept with flight trackers, however. First, is that they only show aircraft over the US & Canada (or at least reporting to the US/Canada). The other thing is that the data for the flights is delayed 5 minutes from real-time for security purposes (makes sense, and it wont change).

pilottim747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

Dirkou

Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:47 am

I use AirNav Live Flight Tracker. Althought you are limited to 60 hours per month usage that's much more than the 10 hours other companies offer. And the cost is the same. They have also an unlimited usage solution available. Check their homepage at http://www.airnavsystems.com for more info.

As I'm currenty living outside the US, I use AirNav ACARS Decoder + AirNav Suite 4 which makes the tracking of flights possible outside the US.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos