Hole_Courtney

US Judge Allows Lawsuits Vs. Boeing, AA, UA, Et

Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:12 am

Just breaking on the BBC,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3094758.stm

I personally think it's awful that people are going to try and get a lot of money out of this. It's not like Boeing could have designed their planes to withstand the impact of the crashes, or if AA or UA could have trained their pilots to figure out if the terrorists were really going to land or suicide bomb something.

Ridiculous.

live forever and stay beautiful,
hole_courtney
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22

JGPH1A

RE: US Judge Allows Lawsuits Vs. Boeing, AA, UA, Et

Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:18 am

How is it possible to sue the owners of the World Trade Center for a plane hitting it ? Er, its a 3 million foot high building, that can't exactly dodge out of the way. You might as well sue an airport if a plane crashes on the runway, for having put the runway in the way !

Not to be funny or anything, but how do American lawyers sleep at night ?

Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Mexicana757

Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:18 am

I agree with you hole courtney. Why is UAL, AA, Boeing and NY port authority getting sued for. They didnt do this. How where they suppose to know this was going to happen. Is it the fault that this happened?? NO! This judge is on crack!

JAL777

Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:26 am

It's because we represents the best interest of the folks that hired us.

No... you serve the best interests of your wallet. Please... tell me how you would serve the interests of the folks that "hired you" in this case.

JGPH1A

Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:32 am

Greg,

How can it be in anyone's interests to sue the owners of a building that got hit by a hijacked plane ? How can the owners of the building possibly have any responsiblity for that ? Clients are advised by lawyers as to who may bear responsibility and thus liability for damages they have suffered. This seems to me to be an extremely cynical and mercenary action by unscrupulous people, who in my opinion should feel very ashamed of themselves.

P.S. on a lighter side and completely off topic, what happened to the group of heftier persons who sued McDonalds for making them fat ? As a large economy size person myself, I was most interested in the outcome of that little episode - ka-CHING !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

searpqx

Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:32 am

Before we begin yet another lawyer bashing thread - While I don't agree with this lawsuit, or the judge, and I rarely agree w/ Greg's logic in why these types of suits are ok - he is totally correct - the source of these suits isn't the lawyers, although they undoubtedly benefit (massively) from them, it's the people that are looking for someone to blame. And that is a result of our society, which has done away w/ the concept of individual responsibility, and promoted the concept of everyman as victim.

Regards
Duane
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

JAL777

Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:34 am

And that is a result of our society, which has done away w/ the concept of individual responsibility

DING DING DING DING DING!!! WINNAR!!!

contrails

Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:36 am

Let's see if I have this right: A bunch of screwball idiots hijack some planes (against the law), crash them into buildings killing a lot of innocent people (also against the law); and the people who manufactured the planes, the people who owned the planes, and the people who owned the buildings the screwball idiots flew into were negligent??

I suggest we take up a collection to let the people behind these lawsuits move to another country. Someone form a committee, pick the country (I have a couple of suggestions), and I'll be the first contributor for some one-way tickets.

Flying Colors Forever!

teva

Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:38 am

DIdn't president Bush call those attacks acts of war?
Doesn't the US law have special procedures for acts of war?
That sounds strange, because insurance contracts exclude those acts of war.
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

JGPH1A

Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:39 am

Contrails - don't say France ! We may some issues here, but we don't deserve this bunch...

4holer

Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:46 am

Could someone summarize Greg's apparently deleted post? I missed it.

And that is a result of our society, which has done away w/ the concept of individual responsibility

True. But the whole story still nauseates me. If the US does not enact some sort of reasonable lawsuit reform, we are doomed. How can anyone be expected to build anything, much less innovate, when their work may be rewarded by an absurd lawsuit like this.

I'd support a "personal responsibility", "assumed common sense", or "it is an imperfect world and life comes with risks" amendment to the constitution.

Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

B777FA

Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:49 am

Totally ridiculous...But then again when it comes to suing nothing surprises me anymore...(Remember the Macdonalds lawsuit when a woman sued because she spilt her coffee on herself and it was too hot!)

Why not open the door to sue the Saudi government,after all some of the hijackers where from there OR the US govnt,the CIA and FBI failed to uncover the plot!!!!

solnabo

Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:00 am

To sue everyone/body is what makes USA togo round.
PUHLEEZE........
Airbus SAS - Love them both

B777FA

Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:13 am

Mexicana you are right...The judge must be on Crack!!!!

Greg

Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:42 am

My post just stipulated that lawyers work on behalf of clients. We do not work in a vacuum. We do not represent ourselves. People hire us.

State and Federal Law allows specific remedy for damages of gross negligence as seen fit by a jury or judge. Clearly some victims felt strongly enough to seek legal counsel.

Brgds.

Korg747

Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:47 am

So People wants to blame or sue UAL,AA, and Boeing? Are those company's right now in a position to be sued? They picked the only two airlines that are having trouble and Boeing that's loosing a lot too. I get the feeling Boeing is going to go out of making civilian aircrafts, and UA and AA will just go bankruptcy. Maybe that will teach people a lesson when they see all those jobless employees? or am I just talking to the wall?
Please excuse my English!

ConcordeBoy

Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:49 am

It's not like Boeing could have designed their planes to withstand the impact of the crashes

No... but it is like Boeing/Airlines/FAA could have mandated that the cockpit doors be reinforced.

As the doors were at the time of the hijackings, any 10yr-old child could have easily burst through them. They were designed in such a manner for the sake of pilots getting out in an emergency... never the thought of anyone getting in. Some would call that negligence on behalf of the parties involved in the doors' creation and/or utilization. Not to say that I agree with the suits in and of themselves, but those are some of the fundamental principals.

[Edited 2003-09-09 20:50:37]
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

artsyman

Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:55 am

My post just stipulated that lawyers work on behalf of clients. We do not work in a vacuum. We do not represent ourselves. People hire us.

This isnt entirely true. The TV is full of commercials stating things like "Did you hurt your toe walking into the kitchen?, did you know that you don't have to suffer this, someone else must be to blame, call us today for your free consultation..."

Lawyers encourage these sorts of frivolous lawsuits, and if you look at the settlement figures, and who gets what % of the money, the client "who's best interest" you respresent, usually gets far less of the pot than you do.

I appreciate that you have a right to work, so advertising your skills is all part and parcel of the job, but to suggest you have no part in it is bollocks

N79969

Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:01 am

The crux of the judge's ruling is that the type of risk was foreseeable. I strongly disagree. He has had the benefit of two years of hindsight. The realm of the possible has gotten much bigger in our minds.

On 9/10/2001, I think that the events of the following day were outside of our imagination let alone what anyone could foresee.

If the judge could contemplate that kind of risk in September 2001, he is in the wrong business.

elwood64151

Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:04 am

B777FA:

Unfortunately, sueing a "Sovereign" (independent nation) is a rather difficult task, and it's next to impossible to collect.

Not to back up the plaintiff's argument, but if the owners of the WTC (the NY/NJ Port Authority) were negligent in training for an evacuation of the towers, then they may have grounds for a lawsuit.

However, against Boeing, AA, and UA, since it has always been FAA policy to "do exactly what the hijacker says," there was hardly any reason to reinforce the cockpit door. I can't see how UA, AA, and especially Boeing could be held responsible.

Okay, maybe UA and AA vis-a-vis security, but they contracted security out to a certified firm that specialized in airport security. But even then, the weapons used to take over the planes were legal to take on board prior to 9/11! That's the great myth of 9/11: Security didn't fail that day. Counter-terrorism failed by telling us to not fight back.

How about sueing the Customs Office and INS? They're the ones who let the terrorists in the country and run around doing whatever they wanted. Oh, wait. Same problem as Saudi...
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

ba319-131

Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:08 am

This has to be the dumbest thing out.

How on earth can they have a suit against Boeing and the Port Authority? - mad!
111,732,3,4,5,7,8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312.313,319,320,321,332,333

b757300

Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:35 am

After looking up some info the the judge in this case, why am I not surprised.

Hellerstein, Alvin K.

Born 1933 in New York, NY

Federal Judicial Service:
U. S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Nominated by William J. Clinton on May 15, 1998, to a seat vacated by Louis L. Stanton; Confirmed by the Senate on October 21, 1998, and received commission on October 22, 1998.

Education:
Columbia College, B.A., 1954

Columbia Law School, J.D., 1956

Professional Career:
Law clerk, Hon. Edmund Palmieri, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1956-1957
U.S. Army, JAG Corps, 1957-1960
Private practice, New York City, 1960-1998

Race or Ethnicity: White

"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

STT757

Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:48 am

" Are those company's right now in a position to be sued? They picked the only two airlines that are having trouble and Boeing that's loosing a lot too. I get the feeling Boeing is going to go out of making civilian aircrafts, and UA and AA will just go bankruptcy"

It would not be the companies that would have to pay , it's their insurance companies.

And I think this lawsuit does not have standing, the attacks were caused by negligence of US Intelligence, the FBI, Immigration and Naturalzation for not missing oppurtunities to prevent this act.

However these agencies cannot be sued, so these folks are looking at someone who can.

I would expect legislation to be enacted by Congress to protect these companies against these lawsuits relating to 9-11-01.

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

artsyman

Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:13 am

They have just added NW, DL, US AND Continental to the lawsuit, stating that "This could have happened on those carriers also, but said that they were leaving Jetblue out of the lawsuit because they fly airbus"

Jeremy

Alitalia744

Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:21 am

So I would imagine DC, Boston and New York airports getting sued as well?

Come on people. This is ridiculous. I'm proud to be American, but not when everyone is sue happy.

Some see lines, others see between the lines.

Mexicana757

Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:38 am

If this lawsuit causes UA, AA and Boeing employees to lose their jobs... I say that those employees sue right back. Especially the judge, and then the lawyers who brought this lawsuit and then the people who are sueing.  Big thumbs up

emiratesa345

Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:52 am

I didn't even bother reading the article. All I have to say is it is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. People have no shame these days. Everything is about money.

EmiratesA345  Yeah sure
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

Greg

Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:27 am

How incredible you say it's the stupidest thing you've even heard of--yet you admit you don't have a clue what the article says.

This type of judement is reserved for readers of the Enquirer.

Shame? Absolutely. Shame on you.
Artsyman. To a degree, there are some lawyers that will create fire out of just smoke. But to a much higher degree, there are victims that demand that something could have been done to prevent such a travesty. So far, 75 claims have been filed on BEHALF of the victims by their families..including many from UA93

Are we to say they are heroes? Or greedy, cash grabbing Americans? You can't have it both ways.

Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:17 am

Ya know what Greg? You guys have the ability to say no. You are not genies, you do not have to bow to the wishes of your clients. For once I wish a lawyer would think of the betterment of society instead of their own personal welfare.

I'm proud to be American

I'm not when this stuff happens. I'm embarrassed. Hopefully this wont be taken seriously.

Brian - SPOT THIS!

bucky707

Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:41 am

"It would not be the companies that would have to pay , it's their insurance companies"

and what do you think will happen to the insurance rates of the companies involved if they loose? Losing this lawsuit could well drive Boeing right out of the commercial aircraft business.

Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:46 am

"Federal Judicial Service:
U. S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Nominated by William J. Clinton on May 15, 1998, to a seat vacated by Louis L. Stanton; Confirmed by the Senate on October 21, 1998, and received commission on October 22, 1998."

Go figure!

cancidas

Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:37 am

it's really sad that someone wants to benefit from the death of my friends! what the hell is wrong with them?!?!?!
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

delta-flyer

Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:32 am

We do not work in a vacuum. We do not represent ourselves. People hire us.
Yes, but lawyers usually seek out their clients and entice them with hefty profits to get them on board. That's why it usually takes a year or two after a tragedy ... people don't, on their own, think of profiting from the loss of loved ones.

If these people win, then it would not surprise me if airline service in the US will be totally decimated. And the terrorists will have won.

Why not sue al Qaeda? They were responsible for this tragedy!!

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

MaverickM11

Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:46 am

I'm going to file a lawsuit against class action lawyers. I'm thinking of suing them for at least 1 trillion dollars. They have hurt, raped, and stolen from far more people than any company has ever even deigned to do. They are the reason why your insurance is so high. Companies don't pay for the lawsuit; insurers do. And those insurers that pay out outrageous claims to lawyers (the lawyers of some of those poor tobacco 'victims' were set to get about 1 billion dollars...what did the 'victims' get?) have to balance costs somehow, so your insurance rates go up. Nevermind all the companies they've strangled to death resulting in massive job losses. I think we can do it...anybody with me? I'm thinking at least 500 billion easy out of those jerks. We'll probably have to hire a lawyer though....hmph
E pur si muove -Galileo

bobrayner

Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:51 am

Why are you blaming lawyers?

If you don't like the idea of personal responsibility being eroded, or if you think that duty of care gets bigger ever day, then that's a systemic problem.

Lawyers are acting on people's behalf. If somehow we subtracted lawyers from the system, people would still try to claim that McDonalds was responsible for them getting fat, or that a car manufacturer was responsible for them losing control on an icy road.
Cunning linguist

MaverickM11

Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:04 am

Lawyers are acting on people's behalf? Which people? Their clients get little to nothing; the employees of the company they are suing get shafted, and the lawyers get obscene amounts of money. Who is gaining here? I can't wait until lawyers start suing corporate heads for making too much money. The lawyers in FL were set to get a total of $1 billion for one of the tobacco lawsuits. Who is that helping? Not the cigarette ''victims''. Not people who have insurance. It only helps the lawyers. Not all lawyers are bad, just class action lawyers. That's all I'm saying.
E pur si muove -Galileo

lgbguy

Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:22 am

The phrase of the day is,

"COMMON SENSE"

which unfortunately it seems most lawyers do not have.

These suits wouldn't even come to trial if the lawyers just said "NO".

That's all I have to say about that.

Mike
lgbguy

Sinlock

Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:22 am

Well,

From what has been said so far in the 36 posts so far, I would say that Jury selection for the Prosecution is going to be very long and fruitless.

Judge Hellerstein: Mr./ Mrs foreman, Have you reached a verdict?

Foreman: We have your Honor.

Judge Hellerstein: How do you find?

Foreman: We the Jury, Find the defendants; The Boeing Company, AMR, UAL, Port Authority of New York/New Jersey.......Not Guilty.

Judge Hellerstein: Thank you members of the Jury, You are dismised.

(Keep in mind, It's most likely that Judge Hellerstein will not be the judge that sits on the case.)

Greg

Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:02 pm

Pardon me for getting a trifle defensive.

Just out of curiosity, who do you think makes most of these outrageous settlements you claim?
That's right---a jury does.
So next time you hear about some ridiculous settlement, kick YOURSELF for getting out of jury duty.

Go on all you want about personal responsibility--why YOU either a) granted some so called ridiculous amounts; or b) skipped out totally as jury duty--because it's not being worth YOUR time.

Collectively, I've never seen so many loser comments before.

Further, there is no reason to bash lawyers because we make some decent $$$. You could have gone to law school as well....

Man, get over yourselves!

Alpha 1

Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:08 pm

B757300, who the fuck cares that Clinton nominated him, for God's sake. Do you have to make EVERYTHING a Clinton-bashing forum? Are you so one-track, that that's ALL that seems to drive you. NO ONE, BESIDES YOURSELF, GIVES A RATS ASS THAT CLINTON APPOINTED HIM!!!!

Again, you only damage your own credibility with such nonsense as this. Grow up a little, man, and stop blaming Bill Clinton for the problems of the world.

emiratesa345

Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:09 pm

"How incredible you say it's the stupidest thing you've even heard of--yet you admit you don't have a clue what the article says.

This type of judement is reserved for readers of the Enquirer.

Shame? Absolutely. Shame on you."

Use your brain and figure this out. How can you not possibly think its wrong to try to benefit from people's deaths? You may be older than me, but the saying "wisdom comes with age" clearly does not apply to you. At least not in this situation.

EmiratesA345
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

Alpha 1

Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:12 pm

How can you not possibly think its wrong to try to benefit from people's deaths?

Maybe because lawyers make so much money and benefit the most from people's deaths? The law profession didn't get the nickname "Ambulance Chasers" for no reason. Just watch your local TV station, and watch them try to convince you in commercials that you can make millions off of the slightest little thing. Thing is, they make the millions, and you're left with shit most of the time, right Greg?

N79969

Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:16 pm

While I strongly disagree with this judge's reasoning, I would not so quickly condemn the people trying to sue the airlines. I am not talking about the attorneys either.

Some of the people that are suing may still face significant financial hardship if they accept the U.S. government settlement. I would not resort to blanket condemnation. We do not know the individual circumstances surrounding each claim.

Some of these people may very well be motivated by greed. But I would bet that many others are in financial positions where they need to consider all of their options including suing for more than what the government is offering. Both the greedy and the needy require someone to represent them.

I am no fan of plaintiffs' attorneys that we all see on TV. I think every profession has its bottom feeders but none so visible as those in my profession. The law is dynamic and constantly changing. While fringe lawsuits always draw attention, there are many more lawsuits in which ordinary people who get screwed get restitution that they could not get without a lawyer.

[Edited 2003-09-10 05:19:05]

JAL777

Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:26 pm

Some of the people that are suing may still face significant financial hardship if they accept the U.S. government settlement.

From personal experience... unless you plan on living like a millionaire, the settlement offered by the US Government is overwhelmingly sufficient. Not to mention all the money donated by individuals to the family's fund.

I've been to one of these "meetings" and came away with one conclusion. The people planning to sue are nothing but money grubbing morons.

MaverickM11

Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:33 pm

"Just out of curiosity, who do you think makes most of these outrageous settlements you claim?
That's right---a jury does.
So next time you hear about some ridiculous settlement, kick YOURSELF for getting out of jury duty."

Jury??? You mean the people that the lawyers carefully groom to give them the results they want? If you have an IQ that is greater than your age, the lawyers will dismiss you and find someone else.

"Some of the people that are suing may still face significant financial hardship if they accept the U.S. government settlement. I would not resort to blanket condemnation. We do not know the individual circumstances surrounding each claim. "

That is NO reason to sue. It's not the place of the airlines and boeing to make life easier for anyone because some whacked out Arab decided to kill 3000 people.
E pur si muove -Galileo

aa777flyer

Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:48 pm

Although it is way to early to tell, I really hope that this will not cause a major down turn the the recovery of our airlines (AA and UA). It could be also very damaging to Boeing. I say sue the US government. Hey it was their policies that pissed off the terrorist in the first place.
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

Greg

Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:52 pm

Low and behold I'm not going to defend myself from a coffee shop supervisor.
Huge surprise!

And actually, I don't practice much Personal Injury (PI). Most my law is corporate..in the transportation field (shipping--as in oil tankers, etc). But yes, I do sue on behalf of my clients everyday. And I do perform closing arguments in malpractice cases at least quarterly as required (because I'm damn good at it..).

Clients get shit? Not the ones our firm represents. Ours is a limited and rather exclusive clientele (exclusive in the sense we are by referral only). The only class action suit we represent is against Firestone.

The courts will decide if the case has merit. It certainly will not be determined on an aviation forum.

Like it or not, it's a litigous society. I'm only a cog on that wheel. Get over it.

Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:14 pm

The courts will decide if the case has merit.

And in the mean time waste how much public money?

Like it or not, it's a litigous society. I'm only a cog on that wheel. Get over it.

No, you can say no. There's a bigger cause here.

I was carjacked once in Miami. The guy put a gun through the window of my Camry, told me to get out, and ended up crashing the car after running from the cops. I think I'm gonna sue the dealer who sold me the car, Toyota, and the owner of the other car...Will you represent me Greg?

By the way, for a lawyer, you can't even spell "litigious" right.

Brian - SPOT THIS!

kevin752

Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:14 pm

This is just terrible. since we can not find ossama Bin LAden now everyone in the US wants to blame everyone else because of this. I am supprised that the airlines don't sue the passengers families because one of their family members were on that flight. WHAT IS IT GOING TO COME TO NEXT????
"Keep Climbing"

MaverickM11

Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:15 pm

"Like it or not, it's a litigous society. I'm only a cog on that wheel. Get over it."

It doesn't bother you that doctors refuse to perform the most basic of operations just because they've all been sued for malpractice at every turn? There is no economic reason to deliver babies at this point: deliver the baby and get sued for malpractice for millions of dollars because the baby is bald, or have the parents chance it on their own. What would you choose? Get your forceps out, you're delivering your next baby.
E pur si muove -Galileo